what Sarah Hughes has in her plans | Golden Skate

what Sarah Hughes has in her plans

antmanb

Record Breaker
In amidst the discussion of reporters twisting things and putting a spin on things this is a prime example of reporter BS. There's nothing to report!! Sarah says she's sick of answering the same question - will you go for Olympic gold again and that she doesn't understand why she keeps being asked the same question. Then in the next paragraph the reporter writes

"Yet, she also isn't ruling out a comeback to the ice, although she seems set on first finishing school. When the 2010 games open in Vancouver, British Columbia, she will be 24 years old, a year younger than Michelle Kwan was this year before a groin injury forced her to withdraw from the Olympics. Kwan was replaced by Sarah's younger sister Emily, who finished seventh."

How brain dead and stupid can the reporter really be to write that paragraph straight after Sarah's comment???

Ant

I don't blame her for being annoyed with the 'same' questions. But then what else can a Reporter ask in the way of a Sport? Skaters lead a sheltered life as children. There are no cocaine stories that we know of.

Joe

Turandot

Rinkside
She's not going back because she won the highest honor? I think it's quite clear to many people that she doesn't have the consistent ability to live up to the standard of her Olympic Gold. That is why she will not be doing any more eligible skating. Her win of the Olympics was a fluke. In my opinion, she should have gone out then, instead of reaffirming a view point that many had after Salt Lake City. It's different from Tara Lipinski, who showed the year prior, that she had the consistency to win major events. I think that she, as opposed to Sarah, should have stayed in it a little longer.

Spirit

On the Ice
Turandot said:
Her win of the Olympics was a fluke. In my opinion, she should have gone out then.
But if she had gone out then, I wouldn't have gotten her autograph, her picture, and had the opportunity to see her skate live in Dallas the following year. :rock: So thbthbthbthbthb. ;)

Sarah made a choice. That's what we do as humans. Reporters are paid to find a story. There is not much to say here. If I were Sarah I would be annoyed too. If I were a reporter I would try to find out what she is up to. The topic heading is misleading. I thought we would get info on what her plans were.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I don't feel a bit sorry for her. If answering this question is the worst thing that happens to her in her life, she should consider herself a blessed human being. Furthermore, maybe the reporters would stop asking her this, if she gave a more definitive answer. I know, I know ... she's not sure of what she'll do in 2010 ... which is exactly why people are interested.

And just how much school has she attended anyway? Seems to me she has taken quite a bit of time off for someone who has made this her top priority.

kwanette

Final Flight
I believe that Sarah has completed three semesters...The article is written as if she is a "normal college co-ed"...when, in fact, she has non-attended as much as she has attended. She herself hinted at a "comeback" using MK as an example (age)...so, why is she surprised when the question is asked so often...?? Must be a slow "news day" on Long Island..

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Couldn't Sarah just stop giving interviews, if she is sick of the same questions?

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't blame her for being annoyed with the 'same' questions. But then what else can a Reporter ask in the way of a Sport? Skaters lead a sheltered life as children. There are no cocaine stories that we know of.
Not since the days of Bowman the Showman -- guess it should have been Snowman Bowman. :frown:

heyang

Record Breaker
As someone else mentioned in a Sasha thread, perhaps Sarah is not confirming retirement due to sponsorships. Right now, she is still the last Ladies Olympic Gold Medalist in FS. If she were to retire, the sponsors might not be as interested in her.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
heyang said:
As someone else mentioned in a Sasha thread, perhaps Sarah is not confirming retirement due to sponsorships. Right now, she is still the last Ladies Olympic Gold Medalist in FS. If she were to retire, the sponsors might not be as interested in her.

I assume you mean that sponsors would be less interested in her as the last American OGM. I'm not so sure that is true. After all, sponsors have been plenty interested in Kristi Yamaguchi -- and she got her OGM over ten years ago. Kristi maintained her popularity by skating well as a pro -- keeping herself in the public eye.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kristi is also remembered due to being a star at the height of skating popularity in teh states

however many threads have mentioned how she and Michelle get confused by the average joe on teh streets

kittyjake5

On the Ice
If Sarah is sick of the same questions being asked about her eligibility why doesn't she just announce that she is through with competitive skating instead of her usual response in the past "that she is not ruling anything out".
That will put an end to the annoying questions.

kittyjake5 said:
... why doesn't she just announce that she is through with competitive skating instead of her usual response in the past "that she is not ruling anything out".
That will put an end to the annoying questions.
True, but then she could change her mind anyway.

nymkfan51

Medalist
kittyjake5 said:
If Sarah is sick of the same questions being asked about her eligibility why doesn't she just announce that she is through with competitive skating instead of her usual response in the past "that she is not ruling anything out". That will put an end to the annoying questions.

Exactly, kittyjake! :agree:

No one is saying she has to make up her mind now, but be prepared that folks will continually be interested in knowing, until she does decide for sure. She should actually feel flattered that there are still people interested enough to ask the question. :sheesh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
True, but then she could change her mind anyway.
Hasn't she changed her mind several times since SLC?

She should consider herself the luckiest one in FS. IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, Sarah does what Sarah wants. And I could care less. So what if she's annoyed by the questions. She's the one that has to deal with them, not you guys.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
You know, Sarah does what Sarah wants. And I could care less. So what if she's annoyed by the questions. She's the one that has to deal with them, not you guys.

could not agree more! :clap:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

So I guess you won't be posting in this thread.:laugh: