what Sarah Hughes has in her plans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

what Sarah Hughes has in her plans

I just think that figure skaters (Oly champs included) deal with the media the best they want to. I don't think they are obligated to let fans of figure skating know all about their personal lives or personal wishes if they don't want to.

How much do you know about Johnny Depp and how much do you know about Nicholas Leshay? How much do you worry about them?

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I assume you mean that sponsors would be less interested in her as the last American OGM. I'm not so sure that is true. After all, sponsors have been plenty interested in Kristi Yamaguchi -- and she got her OGM over ten years ago. Kristi maintained her popularity by skating well as a pro -- keeping herself in the public eye.

As someone else pointed out, Kristi did not stop skating. She was on a big tour for 10 years and competed in many professional competitions and was an ambassador during the Olympics.

Many of the skaters of the early 90's are household names. They were fortunate to be winning at the peak of figure skating's popularity.

Sarah has not maintained her place in the spotlight. Nothing wrong with that - just her choice.

heyang

Record Breaker
I also forgot to mention that these interviewers must not follow skating. None of them ask her if she truly expects to be Olympic ready based upon her lack of jumps during SOI tour of the year before last.

Lynn226

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
I don't feel a bit sorry for her. If answering this question is the worst thing that happens to her in her life, she should consider herself a blessed human being. Furthermore, maybe the reporters would stop asking her this, if she gave a more definitive answer. I know, I know ... she's not sure of what she'll do in 2010 ... which is exactly why people are interested.

Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Sarah herself may be torn about what she wants to do. She may feel that it's time to hang up the skates, but isn't emotionally ready yet. Or, she may want to hang up the skates, but feels like she to at least give the appearance of continuing in order to keep sponsors. Who knows?

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I just think that figure skaters (Oly champs included) deal with the media the best they want to. I don't think they are obligated to let fans of figure skating know all about their personal lives or personal wishes if they don't want to.
How much do you know about Johnny Depp and how much do you know about Nicholas Leshay? How much do you worry about them?
Joe

Oh, I couldn't care less about her personal life ... and as you suggest, it's none of our business anyway.
But ... whether or not she will compete again is not a personal question. Especially when she continues dropping little hints about a possible comeback. I remember before Torino there was an article where she actually mentioned skating for Canada in 2010. (because she has dual citizenship)
Maybe I'm just a little touchy, but I feel like we have had Sarah and her "normal life" shoved down our throats since her OGM. Her Olympic performance was wonderful, but since then she has been one huge disappointment, IMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Well Johnny keeps a lot to himself which I admire him for... I wish more in hollywood would take a few pages from Mr. Depp's book ;)

Unfortunately I know more about Mr. Lachey than I care to... oh well... that's what the media thinks is most important for me to know...

chelseamp

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Joe

True, my only caveat is that I would like to see them relax a little bit, like when Sasha was on that cooking show on Jimmy Kimmel and she was asked if she had a boyfriend and she looked down and said 'no comment', she seemed almost offended by the question...but if she moves into that milieu I wish she would get some training on how to deflect those questions a little more seamlessly, like actors and actresses to. I see the skaters stumbling on this stuff alot and there's really no reason they can't be taught to handle it better, especially someone like Sasha who wants to act.

chelseamp said:
True, my only caveat is that I would like to see them relax a little bit, like when Sasha was on that cooking show on Jimmy Kimmel and she was asked if she had a boyfriend and she looked down and said 'no comment', she seemed almost offended by the question...but if she moves into that milieu I wish she would get some training on how to deflect those questions a little more seamlessly, like actors and actresses to. I see the skaters stumbling on this stuff alot and there's really no reason they can't be taught to handle it better, especially someone like Sasha who wants to act.
IMO, skaters lead sheltered lives and do not get the sassy retorts to media questions. Skaters tend to hold on to their 'cutsey and innocent' personna. If Julia Roberts were asked a question about if she had a boyfriend, she would reply oh, more than one and give a big smile. No one would take the reply seriously. Skaters haven't learned to do that.

As to answering questions on whether one will skate in the 2010 Olys: Will Michelle? Sasha? Irina? Evgeni? If they are noncomittal, why should Sarah be different?

Joe

chelseamp

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
If Julia Roberts were asked a question about if she had a boyfriend, she would reply oh, more than one and give a big smile. No one would take the reply seriously.

Yes, those actors/ singers whatever, do this all the time. Honestly I felt Sasha's hesitation was because she is used to being honest and doesn't know how to lie well. I know she will eventually get it figured out because she is a smart girl. It was just kind of painful to watch her stumble on that; she needs to think of answering it like she answers those questions where they ask her how she feels about falling or coming in 2nd or 3rd, because she's answering those questions well.