Miki Ando's quad | Golden Skate

Miki Ando's quad

MKFSfan

Medalist
I'd imagine it was the quad salchow, the same as she has attempted, landed once, in competition before. Sure, having a quad will make her tough to beat as long as she also lands her 3lz/3lp, improves her FW, spins and spirals! Problem is, she has so many rough edges, it won't hold her up. I like Miki, and I would love to see her back a comeback, but under COP, landing the quad is the least of her problems.

On the other hand, I am really excited at the prospect of seeing Yukina Ota again!! She's such a lyrical, soft skater. Hope she stays health!

Pressure Quadruple Jumps

The emphasis on 4 turns in the air has reached an almost MUST HAVE element at any level of skater.

I'm fairly sure Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Li will land 9 quads out of 10. for the Ladies, it is only Ando who has shown to have landed a few.

Skaters who land quads half the time: Sandhu, v.d. Perren. Takehashi, Lindemann.

Skaters who just never made it: Cohen, Weiss, Weir, Buttle, and who else?

It's not yet a standard jump, but I am hoping Miki does land one in competition to keep the ball rolling.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Well, if Miki actually landed a clean quad, then goes in to fall on a couple other jumps and hits the wall on her spirals and falls out of a spin, that quad is not going to help her. On the other hand, even if Jeffrey falls on the landing or Evan/Johnny badly two foot it, the rest of their programs will just be boosted by the fact they rotated 4 times in the air.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
The emphasis on 4 turns in the air has reached an almost MUST HAVE element at any level of skater.

Skaters who just never made it: Cohen, Weiss, Weir, Buttle, and who else?

Joe

Sasha Cohen could do a quad salchow early on in her career. She stopped though because of injury. I believe there is a video on Sashafans.com

rjulie510

Rinkside
But the difference is, Miki's quad salchow was landed in competition and was ratified as the first quad in women's competition. Sasha's quad salchow was only sucessful in practice. It doesn't count unless you do it in competition. (Just as I believed Sasha didn't need quad salchow, I don't think it's absolutely necessary for Miki to do quads.)

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Skaters who just never made it: ... Weir,

I am positive that Weir landed a fully ratified quad in the LP at worlds and I am pretty sure he did it in the QR. Lysacek also landed it in the LP. Neither attempted it seriously before worlds. (I don't think) So although they are not consistant, they have both done it.

euterpe

Medalist
Miki last successfully landed a quad in competition in the 2002-2003 JGPF, nearly four years ago, when she was just 14. Her body has changed drastically since then, and perhaps that is the reason why her quad attempts since then have been failures.

If it is psychologically helpful for Miki to have landed the quad again, that is fine. But there is a danger of injury if she is trying to practice the quad with the intention of putting it back in her programs. She was having problems completely rotating her 3/3s last season, and her presentation still needs lots of work. I hope she keeps her priorities straight.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Miki Ando

I think Miki needs a quad. In my opinion the only thing Miki had that made her stand out among other skaters was her ability to jump. When she lost that last season, she was a disaster. Although I admired her desire to become a more graceful skater, her attempt really didn't work in that area.

Dizzy

CDMM1991

Medalist
I doubt Miki will have the full rotation consistent enough to be helpful for her in the new system. I saw the quad she did in that JGPF, and I doubt very much she would have been given credit for it under the new system.

Bill508

Rinkside
I hope Miki has a great season. She'll be 22 in 2010 and may pull a Shizuka in Vancouver.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
CDMM1991 said:
I saw the quad she did in that JGPF, and I doubt very much she would have been given credit for it under the new system.

I agree -- it was only 3.5 turns in the air.

floskate

On the Ice
Zuranthium said:
I agree -- it was only 3.5 turns in the air.

The best one she ever did was during a special exhibition at 2002 NHK - totally completely clean. The one she landed at 2003/04 Japanese Nationals looked pretty clean to me - maybe just under a quarter short.

It's a shame her skating has regressed so much - her 04 Worlds SP was just terrific.