No Roth at nationals | Golden Skate

No Roth at nationals

Arianne

On the Ice
Stephanie Roth just won the collegiate championships along with Ryan Bradley. She says that she will forego a spot on the national team (should she make it) to compete at the international competition she just qualified for in Torino. You can read the article from the Goldenskate link. I think this is really sad because she could be working her way up in nationals to qualify for the grand prix. Especially this year if we don't see some of the top names.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Link to the 2006 U.S. Collegiates results article:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=35053

Excerpt:
This was a competition of firsts for [Stephanie] Roth, who had back surgery just six months ago.

"This was my first time without a coach and also my first competition since my injury, so I'm really proud of it," she said

Roth's victory qualified her for the World University Games next January in Torino, Italy. The Games conflict with the 2007 State Farm U.S. Championships, so Roth would have to forego a spot at the national event should she qualify through sectionals. That didn't seem to be a problem for the newly crowned champion.

"Oh, I'm absolutely going (to Torino)! I'm so excited!" Roth said. "I've been to nationals before but never to an international, and the chance to make the team was one of the reasons I came back to skating after nationals to begin with. I can't wait."

And here's the link to a local New Jersey article from last week about Stephanie Roth, who had back surgery in February after placing 18th at 2006 Nationals in St. Louis (note her tattoo in the photo :)):
http://www.thecoaststar.com/weekly/2006/07.27.06/roth.html
Excerpt:
Roth has sacrificed a lot to continue skating, physically and financially.

“An arm and a leg and maybe some feet,’’ said Roth when asked the cost of competitive figure skating. “It is really, really hard. I pay for this. My mom paid for a really long time. As I got older and the decision was mine to continue skating I took over the bills. I used to shop at Brave New World and all the places to shop, now I shop at Target. I want to spend the money on my skating.’’

It is no surprise, Roth, who has a nose ring and several tattoos and shuns fitting in the skating “mold’’ wants to go out on her own terms.

“I am a rebel in the skating world,’’ said Roth. “I have been in this sport for so long and I do everything else by the book. I work as hard as the next person.’’

Last edited:
Well, she's been to nationals before and knows the US skaters. Here's her chance to meet the international skaters, and enjoy that scene. Given the lineup in the US Sr.Ladies division, she has a much better chance in Torino for a medal.

Reading on I noticed that Bradley had to call home to have his old pair of skates sent to him in Annaheim. His competition pair of skates did not arrive. Why oh why do skaters check their skates on airlines? They should be a carryon!!

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:

Reading on I noticed that Bradley had to call home to have his old pair of skates sent to him in Annaheim. His competition pair of skates did not arrive. Why oh why do skaters check their skates on airlines? They should be a carryon!!

Joe

Skaters used to carry their skates with them, but under the new security rules set forth after Sept. 11, they can't carry anything on board with blades.

attyfan said:
Skaters used to carry their skates with them, but under the new security rules set forth after Sept. 11, they can't carry anything on board with blades.
Oops, I forgot that.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Roth at Nationals

I think Stephanie has been to Nationals at least a couple of times (2000 and 2006) so I can see why she would want to do an International. I wish her well - she has a lot of determination.

On another note, does anyone know why Susan Ng withdrew before the free skate?

Maureen

Susan Ng must be about through with college, isn't she? According to her biography on Unseen Skaters she started in 2001 (and took a year away from competition to concentrate on her studies). Susan is also listed as a full-time coach at the East-West Ice Palace (Michelle's rink).

Yes, the title of this thread should be "Stephanie Roth wins collegiate championship, heads for the Winter Universitade in Torino!!!" -- instead of, she's not going to Nationals. This championship is a feather in her cap and I'm sure the experience of the international competition will be something she will treasure all her life.

Wouldn't it be cool if figure skating could be developed into a genuine intercollegate sport, with meets (like track meets and swimming meets) between schools, and all that!

MM :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Some U.S. airports are now allowing skates to be carried on -- in fact, I've heard that the Colorado Springs airport (nearest to Bradley) is one of them.

MFarone said:
I think Stephanie has been to Nationals at least a couple of times (2000 and 2006) so I can see why she would want to do an International. I wish her well - she has a lot of determination.
I think "Determination" is Stephanie Roth's middle name. ;) She's skated 3 times at senior nationals -- 2000, 2001 and 2006.

On another note, does anyone know why Susan Ng withdrew before the free skate?
I've tried to find out but haven't heard anything. Since she placed low in the SP, injury is a likely possibility.

Mathman said:
Yes, that's what caught my attention when I saw Stephanie's name on the roster way back in 1999. Is this the same event that Alissa Czisney won a couple of years ago, with her sister Amber second?
Yes, Alissa Czisny won Collegiate Nationals in 2004 and her twin sister Amber placed 3rd. Jennifer Don won in 2003.

Mathman said:
Susan Ng must be about through with college, isn't she?
I don't know, but I believe skaters are allowed to enter Collegiate Nationals up to one year after their college graduation.

Yes, the title of this thread should be "Stephanie Roth wins collegiate championship, heads for the Winter Universitade in Torino!!!" -- instead of, she's not going to Nationals.
That was my first thought when I read this thread yesterday, especially since Roth still would have to qualify for 2007 Nationals through Sectionals in November. Any chance you could revise the title to "Stephanie Roth & Ryan Bradley win Collegiate Nationals"? :)

Wouldn't it be cool if figure skating could be developed into a genuine intercollegate sport, with meets (like track meets and swimming meets) between schools, and all that!
Intercollegiate Team Skating is a growing program, in fact:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=89

Last edited:

Arianne

On the Ice
I didn't mean for the title of this thread to be demeaning to Stephanie. I just enjoyed watching her at nationals and she will be missed this year. I wish her the best in Torino though!

bobby

Rinkside
no Roth at Nationals

"Wouldn't it be cool if figure skating could be developed into a genuine intercollegate sport, with meets (like track meets and swimming meets) between schools, and all that!"

Mathman, skating does have meets (similar to swimming but not quite as large) There are three sections, based on where your school is, and three/four competitions during the school year. Most college students have the ability to start an intercollegiate club, and the school will give a certain amount of money to support it. There are levels from beginner to senior at these competitions and I believe the top 5 spots earn points towards the National Intercollegiate Championships, The three top point finishers ( I think) from each section go to this competition, which a school also bids on to have at their rink.
They are awesome events, very different from other competitions. It's very interesting to see compeitiors wearing college warmups and hanging out. It's great for recreactional/social activities, as well as someone who wants to continue with their highly competitive skating. The only flaw I've seen as that many schools do not have many skaters, and you need a certain amount to qualify, otherwise you can just compete, get points, but do nothing with them. Many schools also have skating as a varsity sport. I believe UDelware, UMiami (Ohio) and Dartmouth as well. Which means, in theory, one can actually receive a scholarship to skate, which I think is pretty cool. It's really grown a lot in the past few years. I didn't discover this part of skating until my junior year, which was a bummer, but combined with 5 National collegiates and 5 intercollegites I was able to continue skating, stay fit (yes drink beer) and do what I loved, after I had already past prime. I highly recomend this to anyone who wants to continue skating, it's a great balance and if you are a regional/sectional skater that's always wanted to travel a bit more, you can. (I think skaters can travel to any of the other sections to skate as well)
Do it, it's awesome.
AS for Roth, she has my vote, she's been around for years, taking a lot of crap, been orginal and made it work for herself with outstanding skating. From this article Roth makes it sound like this could be her last year, and I think going to Italy and doing what you love is a stellar exit.

Last edited:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Congrats to Stephanie! I hope she does well at the World University Games. (Skating trivia factoid: Shizuka Arakawa won this event several years ago.)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
skatingfan5 said:
(Skating trivia factoid: Shizuka Arakawa won this event several years ago.)
And USA's Angie Lien won the silver medal behind Arakawa at that World Winter University Games in Italy in January 2003 -- link to the USOC article about her: http://www.usoc.org/73_7403.htm

Lien had qualified for 2003 Nationals in Dallas but decided to withdraw and compete in her first international instead. She said afterwards that it turned out to be a great decision for her. BTW, it's three years later, and Lien is coaching and still competing at a high level. :)