Roster Changes | Golden Skate

Roster Changes

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Drobiazko / Vanagas have dropped out of the GP and will be replaced at Skate Canada by Grunberg/Rand (Estonia).

That makes SIX new-to-Senior-GP dance teams on the SC roster:
Virtue/Moir
Mikhailova/Sergeev
Davis/White
Platonova/Maksimishin
Pratt/Gilles
Grunberg/Rand

Of course, V/M has beaten all these teams on the JGP, JGPF and JW last season. In addition, they have beaten Yu/Wang and LeFebvre/Markov, and Yu/Wang beat Romanovskaya/Grachev. That means V/M can finish no lower than 4th at SC, and if Navarro/Bommentre and Faiella/Scali don't skate well, they could finish as high as 2nd.

Keep your eyes on Navarro/Bommentre at Skate America. This is a much improved team out to beat Matthews/Zavosin. If they do, they will give Virtue/Moire a run for the podium at Skate Canada. JMO

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is also the very outside possibility that Davis/White could outskate V/M. They gave V/M a run for the money last season a couple of times, and D/W really burned up the ice at Lake Placid last week, winning every event they entered. I think the US has another young up-and-coming dance team, and one that has stuck together through thick and thin for years.

4dogknight

Final Flight
As of 8-29 ISU Ice Dance entries roster on ISU:

Grete Grunberg / Kristin Rand (Est) out, replaced by
Kamila Hajkova / David Vincour (CZE)
This team placed 19th at Euros in 2006, other than this piece of information I know nothing about this team.

Anyone have further information?

4dogknight

Final Flight
Silvio Smalun is listed as Retired on the 9/6/06 ISU Men's Entries roster. Silvio was also slated to compete in the NHK.

Does anyone have anything further on Silvio's retirement? I must say that I'm very surprised and was looking forward to seeing him compete this season.

4dk

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Silvio Smalun is listed as Retired on the 9/6/06 ISU Men's Entries roster. Silvio was also slated to compete in the NHK.

Does anyone have anything further on Silvio's retirement? I must say that I'm very surprised and was looking forward to seeing him compete this season.

4dk
There's been talk that the German Federation is shutting down Obersdorf as a training center. That's the rink to which he's been commuting while attending university. I suspect that's why he retired.

I love the Men's field at Skate Canada, but Smalun was at the top of my list. I'm very sad he won't be there.:cry:

yukisnowflake

Rinkside

4dk

Where on the 9/6/06 ISU Men's Entries roster does it say that Silvio Smalun is listed as Retired? I looked but did not see this about him.
Please clarify.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last edited:

yukisnowflake

Rinkside
See:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-176492-193710-108444-0-file,00.pdf

There's a thread at FSU that says Smalun may not have retired completely (but merely withdrawn from the Grand Prix series?), and that he "is a full time college student and has a lot of exams right now so that his training is only basic at best."

Sylvia:
Thanks for the clarification re: Silvio Smalun. I only saw that he was still listed but that was without the pdf. that you provided.

yukisnowflake

Rinkside
Yeah!!! I see that Qing Pang & Jian Tong are added to the roster for 06 Sk. Can.

Oh Happy Day! for me. I was disappointed that originally they weren't listed when I first looked at the entries & printed it off. Now they've been added & I can't wait to see the rivalry again between them & the Zhangs. I think it will be exciting just like 06 Worlds. I was there & it was so exciting.

I'm going to be there in Victoria to see it live again.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
On today's updates,

Victor Pfeiffer and Jamal Othman replace Dinev and Smalun. (Othman also was assigned to TEB.) I like both of them very much, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in Victoria.

Idora Hegel is out :( (No replacement announced yet.) Nylander, Carter, Mai Asada, Bobillier, Paulinius, and Gimazetdinova have one. Kahle and Glebova have none, and both qualify under the Top 75 PB or higher criterion for replacements.

Asada is training in Canada and will be in Hartford. Carter will be in Hartford, too. Kahle is close. Maybe one of them will get the invite.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Alisa Drei (FIN) replaced Hegel in September. She did pull from Skate America, though.

Vaughn Chipeur (CAN) replaces Jeff Buttle (CAN). Geoffrey Varner (USA) replaces Viktor Pfeifer (AUT), who had replaced Ivan Dinev.

Aurelli/Vaturi (ITA) replaced Romanovskaya/Grachev (RUS) back in September. Hajkova/Vincour (CZE) replace Grundberg Rand (EST), who had replaced Drobiazko/Vanagas (LTU).

Inoue/Baldwin (USA) -- 3rd, non-scoring -- replaced Pang/Tong (CHN) at the end of September. (This was to be a 3rd, non-scoring event for P/T.) Miller/Moram (CAN) replace Dube/Davison.