Whats new for Weiss? | Golden Skate

Whats new for Weiss?

Arianne

On the Ice
I was just wondering what Mike Weiss has been up to these days. I know he was skating a bit with SOI, but I think I remember hearing that he was keeping the eligable door open. I am remembering correctly? Does anyone know of his plans for this next season?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Weiss retired from eligible skating after the 2006 Four Continents Championships (or at least he isn't planning on competing in 2006-07) and is slated to do some Disson shows this fall.

He's actively involved in his Michael Weiss Foundation ("a non-profit organization supporting the next generation of U.S. Champions"), and his second annual MWF fundraiser show is scheduled for Saturday, September 9, 2:30 pm, at SkateQuest of Reston, Virginia. For more info on performers and tickets, go to:
http://www.michaelweiss.org/show.shtml

Currently scheduled to perform: Todd Eldredge, Michael Weiss, Emily Hughes, Ina & Zimmerman, Lang & Tchernyshev, Inoue & Baldwin, Dan Hollander, Silvia Fontana, Matthews & Zavozin and Christine Zukowski.

Last edited:
Michael, for me, was/is an excellent competitive skater, but the choreography in his last couple of years did not produce much excitement.

I think if he got his eligibility back he would be formidable in the US Nats.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Weiss will be skating in next SOI tour and also he is very active in Disson shows. He will be appearing in 6 shows out of 10. I have liked the skating of Weiss starting in Nagano Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think he'll grow as a skater in the pro ranks. He won't have to just use his wife, some shows want programs choreographed by the show's choreographer, so he'll get some new (and better) things to try :)

BittyBug

On the Ice
I think he'll grow as a skater in the pro ranks. He won't have to just use his wife, some shows want programs choreographed by the show's choreographer, so he'll get some new (and better) things to try :)
Weiss is capable of a wide range of styles, so it would be nice to see him skate to some differently choreography.

An article on Mike in the current International Figure Skating says that he is in demand as a motivational speaker. He has been the featured speaker at some fund raisers for charities and he recently gave the commencement address at his alma mater, Prince George's C.C.

rjulie510

Rinkside
I always found Weiss to be an excellent show skaters. Audience just loves him. I think he will have a great career as a pro skater. I admire him for all the work with MWF, helping young skaters. I would be delighted to see how he does in pro ranks. Best wishes to him.

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I always found Weiss to be an excellent show skaters. Audience just loves him. I think he will have a great career as a pro skater. I admire him for all the work with MWF, helping young skaters. I would be delighted to see how he does in pro ranks. Best wishes to him.

I agree! I will enjoy to see what a good, entertaining Pro he would be!:thumbsup:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's actively involved in his Michael Weiss Foundation ("a non-profit organization supporting the next generation of U.S. Champions"), and his second annual MWF fundraiser show is scheduled for Saturday, September 9, 2:30 pm, at SkateQuest of Reston, Virginia. For more info on performers and tickets, go to:
http://www.michaelweiss.org/show.shtml

Currently scheduled to perform: Todd Eldredge, Michael Weiss, Emily Hughes, Ina & Zimmerman, Lang & Tchernyshev, Inoue & Baldwin, Dan Hollander, Silvia Fontana, Matthews & Zavozin and Christine Zukowski.

We hope to go to this show. We attended it last year, and had a blast!

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Michael Weiss.....

Let me be among those who voices positive comments about Michael Weiss. I've always enjoyed his skating. I think Michael is a very talented skater with a lot of musicality in his skating. I feel Michael is one of the few male skaters who can skate to almost any type of music and do it well.

It is wonderful that Michael has chosen to help young aspiring US skaters through the MWF. It shows a real dedication to skating and a true love for his sport.

Dizzy

waxel

Final Flight
Boy, I remember the first time I saw Michael Weiss... I think it was his first big splash at Nats. He was skating a program to Santana (?) and I recall thinking what a big future he had. I'm not sure that ultimately he ever lived up to the promise ... but he was always and good competitor ... and he ain't hard on the eyes either.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember that Santana program, and was quite impressed with it too. :clap:

We did have the chance to speak to Mike after last year's show, and he was very gracious & friendly. I admire his efforts to support young skaters. :)

Here is a link to a report & pics from last year's show, thanks to a couple named Adam & Devon.

http://www.dholli.com/photosmwf.htm

Thanks Gail for those photos. From one of those pics where Mike has lifted the little girl on high, makes me think Mike could easily move into the Pairs Division.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks iluvtodd! ( I don't know you well enough to use your real name). I like the picks.

The one thing that stood out for me was Rene's signature, very cool! I know that is silly but it was very neat. I also like Mike n the kids, that is just so "AWHHHH! So adorable."

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting Lang and Tscherneychev are listed to perform.

Joe

Joe, Naomi & Peter were in Mike's show last year, and it was great to see them. :clap: We're delighted that they'll be back for Saturday's show. :)