Mosquito Bites | Golden Skate

Mosquito Bites

N

nysk8r

Mosquito Bites

This is what I hate most about the Summer......:mad:

Today I woke up with SEVEN mosquito bites.....4 on one arm and three on the other. Does anyone have any home remedies to keep down the swelling down?

L

Ladskater

Re: Mosquito Bites

nysk8r:

Horse Linament works and takes the itch out! My Uncle used to give that to me to use when I visited his farm in Alberta. Works like a charm!

Ladskater

M

megsk8z

My daughter is really allergic to insect bites and Benadryl helps with the swelling. Also a topical anaesthetic like Solarcaine (sunburn spray) helps numb the area for her.

Strangely enough, we were talking about this yesterday at the ice rink and my boss said that toothpaste (just plain, no whiteners or anything like that) helps. I don't know about that one, having never tried it, but I would be willing to try just about anything when I get bitten so I've filed it in the back of my little mind for future consideration.

You have my complete sympathy.

B

Blue Bead

You can try bottled meat tenderizer, too. I have a awful time in the summer with my over-reactions to mosquito bites. A friend applied some meat tenderizer to my back at a cookout several years ago, and the relief was instantaenous. I think it works because of the high percentage of vinegar in the product. So I suppose you could use that as well.

Blue Bead

G

Grgranny

Make a paste of baking soda and water. It does help. You can also put baking soda in your bath water. The reason toothpaste is mentioned is because it has baking soda in it. There are also some creams you can buy for itching. I don't think any of it is great but it helps a little. Calamine lotion probably works as well as anything.

K

Kzarah

Grandmother, we don't get many bugs where I live, but I do remember mosquitos bits. I think we used to use a product called calladril. I also, heard that you can make a past with tobacco to stop the itching.
Love Always
Daniel and Little Lulu

K

Kzarah

Grandma
We have ants in our new home, we are not leaving food out but they keep showing up. What do I do?
Daniel and Little Lulu

G

Grgranny

Use peppermint oil. They don't like peppermint.

G

Grgranny

I just remembered that I have a leaflet that tells a lot of things like this.
You can also make a spray by mixing 8 ounces of water with 1 teaspoon peppermint essential oil. Shake and spritz along places where ants travel.
Anti-itch lotion. Fill 4 ounce bottle with distilled witch hazel extract. Add 8 drops of peppermint essential oil. Shake well before using. Apply with a cotton ball as often as desired.
I remember my grandmother dripped peppermint oil in the doorway where ants kept coming in and it worked.
If you live in a house, grow Pennyroyal, spearmint, southernwood, and tansy around the border of your home to deter the ants and the aphids they carry. (I didn't know they carried aphids.)

S

Show 42

Daniel, ants often come into a house seeking not only food but water. Find their entry point, and spray insecticide (Black Flag) along their path. If possible, try to find their entry point outside of the house and zap them with spray. It's stinky for awhile, but it works...........42

K

Kzarah

Granny and Show thanks for the tip. Do you know where one can get this peppermint essential oil? It's funny how they (ants) always seem to show up at the least convenient time. During the night, I got up to powder my nose, (pee) and they were all over the bathroom floor. I was too lazy to do much more than spray air freshoner on them. Lulu keep getting me up the other night and making me follow her to her food bowl. I saw that it was full and ignored her. After about 5 times of doing this I noticed they were all over her tuna. They don't seem to be interested in dry food. So, I guess I'm glad that Little Lu doesn't want tuna very often.
Also, I just remembered a remedy for insect bits that I forgot about. You just keep scratching until the bite turns into a scab. It hurts a little but the itch goes away. I like my back scratched so, bites on the back are not too bad as long as you have someone who doesn't mind scratching your back all day. (Just kidding)
Love
Daniel and Little Lulu
PS
Do any of you get potatoe bugs? Boy are they gross.

P

Piel

Oh Daniel, please don't scratch! You could end up with a skin infection. Essential oils and oil of peppermint can be found at healthfood stores, drug stores, even most grocery stores carry oil of peppermint that is used for candy making. Just be sure to get the oil and not extract or flavoring. This is very irritating if you get it on your skin. Dry unflavored Adolph's instant meat tenderizer works best IMO. The enzymes that break down the fibers and tenderize the meat also break down the toxins from insect bites. Less toxin, less itching. Good luck.

Piel