Michelle's injury/surgery? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle's injury/surgery?

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Yeah,
Hopefully she won't repeat Torino where she obviously got back in the game too soon and ended up hurting herself more.

I wish her well. It's probably wishful thinking, but I hope she can come back and at least do one more amatuer competition. Perhaps Nationals 2008, before she hangs up her amatuer skates for good.

I don't know why I have to play Devil's advocate here, but, look at Kerrigan, for instance, she's a blip on the screen IMO, but she says she just really wanted to be a wife and mother, and voila, she did, so having no real injuries glided on into adulthood [except maybe a bruised ego via Baiul]. I'd like to ask her opinion on this. Would she rather be injured and stay and stay, or have a handsome husband and kids and whatever else she's involved in.

Gatzbee

Rinkside
well since at least 2002 i think it is possible to believe that michelle has been dealing with hip issues in a serious sense, but just never publicly talked about it. all we saw was that she scaled back on competitions and only wanted to do the 'big' ones. until 2005 when all of a sudden she has no choice but to reveal that she is experiencing a serious problem with her hip, and then 2 successive groin injuries. true, for a time it seemed like she would not experience a major injury, but in retrospect the years and years of pounding on the ice and maintaining such a high level of excellence was going to reach its toll at some point. im glad she has taken this step, since she has not been healing as she prolly would have hoped. i will keep her in my thoughts and wish her the best with this surgery. my main hope for her would be that this surgery can relieve her from her pain, and she can take it from there.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really hope the "hinged Skate" will alleviate allot of this. Something else I point out to people who compare Gymnastics to FS is the surface is padded, spring or mat in Gymnastics, FS is ice - yep the hard kind:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
doesn't change how dangerous gymnastics can be, especially on that balance beam :eek:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
doesn't change how dangerous gymnastics can be, especially on that balance beam :eek:
:agree: :thumbsup:
Yes but it does say how dangerous it is.

Also, have you ever seen a FSer learning a move with bungie cords / harness attached to both sides of them?

Not saying it isn't dangerous,or in some aspects equally, just a bit more protective aspects around. Opposed to gliding around on two dull "knives" and having no opportunity to land on a "padded surface." Of course FS does not allow flips, of the head over heals type, either. so I would call them fairly even.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, I'm more inclined to be "wowed" at some of the lifts the pairs attempt (mostly at the failed attempts, too, because it does show how dangerous pairs skating is). Not saying singles isn't, but one can make the argument that any kind of sport or activity poses a danger due to the increased risk of injury. Right?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
well, I'm more inclined to be "wowed" at some of the lifts the pairs attempt (mostly at the failed attempts, too, because it does show how dangerous pairs skating is). Not saying singles isn't, but one can make the argument that any kind of sport or activity poses a danger due to the increased risk of injury. Right?

:agree:

I just said that as a point to people who make the argument it is not that "tough" of a sport. Also what the foot and ankle / hip / back, are landing on, comparable for wear and tear on the body. Impact of feet to a mat.....

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Lot of gymnasts have been injured or killed on the vault, too.

I thought the skaters do wear harnesses when they are 1st learning certain jumps. I kinda remember seeing video of Sasha wearing harness while she was attempting to learn a quad.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Since MK, SA, and IS are most likely retiring, maybe the return of the pro-competition, is just around the corner. ??? I think that's be great to see. :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I thought the skaters do wear harnesses when they are 1st learning certain jumps. I kinda remember seeing video of Sasha wearing harness while she was attempting to learn a quad.
That is interesting to know, I have never seen that.

And to ensure that I am not being misunderstood, I do think that it is dangerous, just stating how FS is too and what people who aren't aware of FS should know about the dangers. Particularly what they are landing on even with success.

And if the Olys were any example, we may start seeing pads on the boards granted the rink is large enough.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
And if the Olys were any example, we may start seeing pads on the boards granted the rink is large enough.

Speaking of rink size and the Olys (yes this is a major tangent but it isn't worth it's own thread)

When I was in Lake Placid a few weeks ago (I will post pictures once I have a free minute) they said that in Vancouver they already had NHL sized ice and were not planning on building international sized ice. Would the IOC really allow that?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
.....they said that in Vancouver they already had NHL sized ice and were not planning on building international sized ice. Would the IOC really allow that?

That might be worth a thread.
"How important is the rink size."

What ever happened to the theory, If you build it they will come?

Or should they be "adjusting their routines" to fit NHL?

I also have a feeling that a smaller rink might mean more injury. ??

Will the IOC stand for that?

I don't believe any Government will build an ice skating arena unless it won the bid for being the Olympic site. Maybe they could include it with a city sports center such as Chelsea Piers in NYC but there is no room at that sports center for much of an audience.

We have to thank our Hockey fans for getting the money together to build an ice arena

Joe

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
I don't believe any Government will build an ice skating arena unless it won the bid for being the Olympic site. Maybe they could include it with a city sports center such as Chelsea Piers in NYC but there is no room at that sports center for much of an audience.

Right, but Vancouver is the sight of the next Olympics, that is why I was wondering if the IOC would allow it. Wasn't there a competition a few years ago (and by that I mean anything from this past year to 1998 Olympics) that wasn't on international sized ice and all the skaters complained about it.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Also, have you ever seen a FSer learning a move with bungie cords / harness attached to both sides of them?

Yes indeedy - its quite common for skaters to gain confidence learning new jumps in a harness. Several of the skaters at our rink first go in the harness to learn the single axel.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Right, but Vancouver is the sight of the next Olympics, that is why I was wondering if the IOC would allow it. Wasn't there a competition a few years ago (and by that I mean anything from this past year to 1998 Olympics) that wasn't on international sized ice and all the skaters complained about it.

Yes i seem to recall that too - the skaters were having particular problems with the sizing of their circular step sequences and quite a few had popped or missed jumps because the boards came up in them too quickly.

Ant

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Michelle's injury

I know it seems obvious that Michelle has a hip problem, but now a poster at another board is claiming that they recently had surgery at a certain clinic in Colorado and the rumor was that Michelle had recently come in and passed the hip screening with no problem :sheesh: I have no idea what to think, but I hope that eventhough Michelle is very private some announcement is made to clear up some of the confusion.

Regarding Michelle going pro - IIRC she has said several times that going pro doesn't interest her. Perhaps if her eligible career is over, she would still skate the COI tour for a couple of more years if she is physically able. The thought of not seeing her skate again makes me :eek: :cry: but I hope Michelle does what she needs and wants to do.

Maureen