Gymnastics question | Golden Skate

Gymnastics question

Alsace

On the Ice
The US national championships are occurring now. I'm trying to follow the "quick hits" on the official site. However, the abbreviations are a little hard to follow. When a person does a skill that has both a flip and a twist, is the abbreviation 1/2 for 1 flip, 2 twists or does it stand for 1 twist, 2 flips? Where is SailorGalaxia or Misplacedgymnast?? Help!

rjulie510

Rinkside
1/1 means full twist, and 1 1/2 means 1.5 twist. So 1/2 would mean half twist. For example: FX - Strother - back 1½ front 1/1 Thomas... whip to 2½ to front ½... ended with 3/1 (1-step)..."precise routine"
This means back 1.5 twist to full twisting Thomas, whips to back 2.5 twist to punch Barani (front half), back triple twist.
Most twists (especially ones with more than one twist) is done in layout position, so if not specified, assume if it's done in layout position.

Few other common terms: tucked full-in means double tuck with full twist on the first salto. Full-out would mean double salto with twist on the second salto. Half-in Half-out means half twist in first salto, then another half twist in second salto. Laid out 1/1 out means double layout full-out. Rudi means front 1.5 twist, and Randi means front 2/5 twist.

HTH

Alsace

On the Ice
Thanks! that does help!

If I could trouble you again, what are Yamawaki, Kaz, Diamidov, and Manna?

rjulie510

Rinkside
I'm not that Familiar with men's gymnastics to be honest, but I believe Kaz vault is Half twist onto the horse with laid out full twist. So Kaz 1/1 vault has TWO twists. I think Kaz 1/1 is equivalent to Tsukahara 2/1 in women's term but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm totally not an expert on men's gymnastics.