Czisny wins DuPage Open with sizzling SP | Golden Skate

Czisny wins DuPage Open with sizzling SP

I mentioned this on another thread, but maybe this is a good time to start the official 2007 Alissa cheering campaign. :love:

Alissa won the DuPage Open event last week. This was not so remarkable in itself, since there was only one other skater there who could have seriously challenged her, 2006 U.S. junior champ Megan Hyatt (second).

But what caught my eye was Alissa's CoP score for her short program: 66.50. If she had scored that high in international competition, that would put her third on the all-time list for short programs, behind only Sasha and Irina. That's on a pace to score about 199 total, if she had been able to match it in the long.

Was anyone there, or does anyone know the details of the scoring?

http://www.dupagefsc.org/Competitions/DuPageOpen/2006/2006DuPageOpenRESULTS.htm

Last edited:
I

IcyBallerina

I am BallerineGlacee on FSU ^.^ Alissa certainly was on fire. She's kept her old short program and MAN did it look good. I got her autograph too :love: and she is a complete sweetheart. I definitely like her skating more than that of the other Rising Stars.

As for starting the cheering campaign, we at DuPage were way ahead of you! Alissa got screams and applause above and beyond any other skater there.

Last edited:
Last season I saw Alissa in SA and SC. I said yes, yes, yes, yes. This is Kwan's replacement. I'm not surprised at DuPage, but the question remains: Is Alissa ready to do a whole season of yes, yes, yes, yes? The first two GPs are not enough, and the US Nats is critical for her to get to Worlds.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I don't think she has to be anyone's "replacement". Alyssa is a beautiful skater in her OWN right, and it's really heartening to hear about her performance and scores. I've been fortunate enough (only coincidentally) to see all three of her GP appearances, and have always been impressed by her, on AND off ice. I hope this will be a breakthrough season for her, and finds her at Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Without Kwan and Cohen she might have a better shot than she's ever had at making a World team. Just hope pressure and expectations don't do her in.

I think by "replacement" we mean "in the fans' hearts and minds". In other words not necessarily the "Next Big Thing" but the next "wow, she's magnificent". It's about a skater that people will remember; that will make a mark on skating and this is forgetting about any sort of medal.

Last edited:
The thread is about Czisney.

Some people just can't drop the "I hate Kwan" posts about a multi World Champion who happens to be facing surgery.

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON!!!!

Back to Alissa who is the number one dark horse at US Nats.

Joe

And now for the bad news. According to IcyBallerina's report on FSU, after an outstanding short program, in the LP Alissa popped three jumps (flip-double toe, loop, and another flip), fell out of a 2A and barely saved her last jump, a second loop or Lutz.

This seems to be Alissa's biggest challenge. When she makes a mistake, she has to be able to shake it off and regroup. Like Angela Nikodinov, it seems like an early mistake gets in her head and steals her confidence.

I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alissa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alissa.

I agree with Red Dog and Kasey, though. Alissa is one of those rare skaters who wins our hearts whether she wins the contest or finishes last.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
The thread is about Czisney.

Some people just can't drop the "I hate Kwan" posts about a multi World Champion who happens to be facing surgery.

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON!!!!

Back to Alissa who is the number one dark horse at US Nats.

Joe

Erm...if you will galnce back up the thread it was you who mentioned Kwan in this thread...perhaps you need to learn to heed your own advice and stop lecturing others!

Ant

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alyssa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alyssa.
I rather doubt it. USFS' International Committee tends to go by placement at the most recent Nationals, and Meissner, Hughes and Taylor finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th at 2006 Nationals, while Alissa was 7th (hopefully this could be the year in which she cracks the Nationals top 6 for the first time).

BTW, she spells Alissa with an 'i'. :)

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Czisny ......

The issue shouldn't be whether Czisny is a replacement for either Michelle or Sasha but rather how does Czisny measure up to the other current skaters. Personally I think Czisny has better presentation that any of the current promising U.S. skaters.

She is definitely a better spinner than Emily, Katie, Kimmie and BeBe. In my opinion she has all four beat with her grace and musicality.

However, if like another poster stated, she suffers from "Angela Nickodinov syndrome" she will never be a contender for the top spot on the podium. Once again it becomes so apparent that mental toughness is the factor that separates the truly successful from the rest of the pack.

Dizzy

Erm...if you will galnce back up the thread it was you who mentioned Kwan in this thread...perhaps you need to learn to heed your own advice and stop lecturing others!

Ant
That was meant as the next big USA female skater. Not as a comparison of the skills of each other. They are indeed quite different skaters.

Some posters see the name Kwan and they bolt to criticize.

Joe

This seems to be Alyssa's biggest challenge. When she makes a mistake, she has to be able to shake it off and regroup. Like Angela Nikodinov, it seems like an early mistake gets in her head and steals her confidence.
Sad, but it seems that way.

I wonder if USFS is trying to send Alyssa a message by giving it's Skate America assignments to Meissner, Hughes and Taylor, rather than defending silver medallist Alyssa.
The USFS beats to a different drummer than other Federations. Money talks and maybe Taylor will bring in more money.

Who wouldn't agree that she wins the hearts of viewers not unlike Nikidinov.

Joe

I rather doubt it. USFS' International Committee tends to go by placement at the most recent Nationals, and Meissner, Hughes and Taylor finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th at 2006 Nationals,...
This is the year for Katy Taylor to show that she belongs at the top. She had a great finish to her season last year, winning Four Continents in addition to her strong showing at Nationals.

Throughout their junior careers Katy and Kimmie were kind of grouped together as the next wave (also, they were depicted as good friends). Now that Kimmie has stolen a march on the competiton, it will be interesting to see if any of the other U.S. gals can challenge her.

Nigel

On the Ice
Has Alissa been able to put together a solid SP and FS in the same event in the last couple of years...essentially clean programs with allowances for minor errors?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
2006 Skate Canada was most likely her best competition to date (she won the SP and FS). She's had a tougher time being consistent at Nationals. To be fair, though, the majority of senior level skaters tend not to be very consistent in both SP and FS in the same competition, especially at the pressure cooker that is Nationals.

And I was so proud of myself for learning how to spell "Czisny." :laugh:
Yes, kudos to you for that! I've certainly seen her name spelled in a multitude of wrong ways over the years.

Last edited: