ESPN logo and score banner move to ABC | Golden Skate

ESPN logo and score banner move to ABC

Must see the new branding of ESPN. hmmm.

As for ABC, I wouldn't mind at all if they dumped Campbells and Marshalls into ESPN and instead played GPFinal and Worlds live and complete on ABC. But the key word is 'complete' and if it's complete I'm ok wherever it is.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I reported this in another thread, but this is the USFS version of it. I don't know whether to think of this as a good or bad thing. I guess we just need to see what it looks like first and how the coverage will differ from the past before we cry foul. JMO

So we're going to have to put up with the boink, boink!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Dee

I don't mind Cable. Sad for people who don't have it, though.

What I really want is COMPLETE COVERAGE. They give complete coverage of Golf, and Nascar even bumping into scheduled programs like Sixty Minutes. Oh well, let's see what they do.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have a funny feeling it means more cut off skates:mad: It seems like the "Camerapersons" never figure out they are going to be throwing those things on. Golf in particular. How many times do you watch the sports news and when they show the golf highlights the cup is under those banners?

Here's Tiger putting into the news logo.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
COMPLETE COVERAGE. They give complete coverage of Golf,

I agree, but "complete seems pretty relative here. I never see all the golfers and don't think I have ever seen (or had the opportunity even) to see coverage of all the skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
when you have an event with so many different participants it's near impossible to give "complete coverage" unless your network is DEDICATED to that sport. For an all-sport network like ESPN, or a broadcast all-purpose network like ABC, they only have time to show the participants who will be the most interesting to their viewers.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I guess that I am not sure what the definition of Complete Coverage would be. Is it from start to finish only? - not including everyone, just the start / finish.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Complete coverage would be coverage of every golfer at every hole, and the championship ceremony thrown in. In skating I would consider "complete coverage" of an event to be coverage of every skater in every discipline in every part of the competition and all the award ceremonies. We know that's impossible except maybe on the makeshift Figure Skating channel.

It doesn't bother me, really. I mean, they could have complete coverage (or maybe even just top 10 coverage) of the Ladies and totally ignore the other disciplines and I would be fine with that. :yes: But tons of other skating fans clearly wouldn't like that.

Jhar55

Medalist
Golf should be banned to it's own channel at least they have one :rofl:
Heck even Football, Nascar have there own, although you never see cup races on Speed. You do have to give Nascar credit skating never gets booted due to the races.
I hate the ticker is mess up you recording, guess thats why they do it so we can't get clean coverage. Oh well what can ya do? Nothing

I agree, but "complete seems pretty relative here. I never see all the golfers and don't think I have ever seen (or had the opportunity even) to see coverage of all the skaters.
You do see all the tennis matches; the billiards; the poker tourneys, the bowling, etc the Nacar, the team sports (baseball, football, basketball, even soccer).. If it's on Cable it should be complete.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Must see the new branding of ESPN. hmmm.

As for ABC, I wouldn't mind at all if they dumped Campbells and Marshalls into ESPN and instead played GPFinal and Worlds live and complete on ABC. But the key word is 'complete' and if it's complete I'm ok wherever it is.

Joe

ITA Joe! I am tired of seeing abbreviated competitions with only six skaters.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You do see all the tennis matches; the billiards; the poker tourneys, the bowling, etc the Nacar, the team sports (baseball, football, basketball, even soccer).. If it's on Cable it should be complete.

From My own experience, I don't feel I do. I might think more complete - more competitors highlighted - but I have never seen a NASCAR event that had featured or even made mention of ALL divers, only the top ones or someone doing surprisingly well. Tennis, I still have only seen the top competitors there as well. Granted during the Open or Wimbelton there is a monopoly of coverage that seems endless and would love to have the same attention to FS, but there are still matches you don't see. Team sports, that is unavoidable to see complete coverage there.

I think it is just a semantics thing Joe, for the most part I belive I agree with the over all message.

I guess what it is, is there is better coverage of a number of other sports events. And FS does not get the attention I feel it should have let alone what would make me happy either.

It is perception most of the time to me, as far as what people think is a "impressive sport." I have had people make the argument that "such n such" is harder then FS. Some I put on the spinning board and once they have spun a few times say now I want you to walk a straight line with a big smile on your face and you can only walk on you inside of you foot, stop and put your leg out to the side..oop oop, your woobeling... now jump in the air and spin around twice before landing on the opposite foot then you jumped with and ....etc. They start to understand. Then I say, now try it on ice.

Someone said before, that it is likely due to not enough people having the opportunity to try. Even my pond hockey playing buddy didn't get it until I took him to the rink and he strapped on the FSkates for the first time. How many times he caught toepick:laugh: I kept telling him you are skating flat....after showing him how to do a two skate spin, witch he learned quickly but had that dizzy look about him... now come at me and grip with your back outside edge and jump in the air and spin - basically a half axle - he tried and fell 4 times before he came close and 2 foot. Then I told him do that and land on just the back outside edge of the blade and rase your free leg nice and high. He was getting pissed. And gave me the "OK, it is much harder then I would expect, I have new respect." I think that is what it takes interest via experience.
This was just last night, so it is a little fresh on my mind. He payed because he had to eat his words!:agree:

Maybe if coverage was to start out with a, " spin around in that chair 4 times, jump up and run around the corner." People might start giving it some validation on a larger scale, hence more respect and viewing. But that is just a guess. That and more skating rinks:agree: Here in Colorado, portions of our Lotto go to funding these rinks, yet most sporting good stores don't carry FSkates????

AAAAAgh! That is enough on that tangent, sorry.

Yes Seanibu. You are correct. What I am looking for is better coverage. I'd like to see that last two groups or a total of 12 Pairs and Dance teams to skate in the LP in all Divisions.

If one can get beyond the 'stars' it is interesting to see a skater move from 9th place last year to 6th place this year. At least for me it is.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, something like ABC's coverage of the 2006 nats ladies' FS? They showed the last two groups live (but omitted the medal ceremony :scratch: )

I don't know what they did on TV. I was there in St. Louis. If they didn't show the medal ceremony on TV, I can tell you that Sasha received the gold very gracefully.

Joe