When you realized you were "old" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When you realized you were "old"

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What a PRICELESS question with IMPECCABLE timing, given that I just had my 39th birthday this weekend.......:laugh:

However -- let's see.

What always stuns me into reality about my age (which I don't really think about all that much) is thinking about how old my friend's children are, most notably my friend Shelley (most of my other friends with children have little ones). Shelley had her daughter when I was 21 or 22; over the years when I realize HOW OLD SARA IS NOW, that gives me pause. Where did the time go?

Working with co-workers considerably younger than yourself can make you realize how "old" you are, too. I remember about 10 years ago, I was working a banquet set-up job with a bunch of people in their early 20s (even my boss was barely 21 and if that alone isn't enough to make you want to go out and buy a cane....). One time, I was trying to move a table through a doorway and one of the guys I worked with (he was about 19) was standing in the doorway and I said "Toot toot -- yeah -- beep beep [my own rather obnoxious variation on "Comin' thru"] and then said 'If you don't get out of my way I will be forced to start singing Donna Summer's Greatest Hits and believe me when I say to you that you do not want that." To which he replied, "Who's Donna Summer?" I got a similar query at my next job only the question was "Who's Roseanne Rosanna Danna?" (and I can't remember how RRD came up, but I certainly remember being asked the question....)

Reuven

Rinkside
A couple years back, a friend was visiting with his 10 year old daughter. She noticed the several hundred vinyl LPs I have and asked, "What are those?"

Sometimes when talking to a tween or teen, I'll add in, "When I was your age..." and watch as the eyes begin to glaze, until I add, "...I made myself a promise to never forget what it was like to be your age." I find it very helpful when trying to connect.

Ah well, you only as old as you feel. See sig...;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
"When I was your age..." and watch as the eyes begin to glaze, until I add, "...I made myself a promise to never forget what it was like to be your age."
:agree: That is awesome!!!!

Being as Catherine Zeta Jones and I are the same age and I looked at who she married.....

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Recently at work my boss made a comment about someone on TV playing his old 45s, and a girl asked what 45s are.

At Blue Jays baseball games, when each player comes up for his first at bat, they show some of his stats, including his age. Last summer my brother and I went to a game, and realized we were older than most of the players. We were 27 and 30 at the time. Only one player was older than my brother.

I also feel old when I realize I'm past the age that kids think it's cool to be. As a kid, I remember thinking how cool and smart I would be at 16. Now I look back at my 16 year old self and think, "you knew nothing". I'm sure I will continue to have those moments each time I look back at a younger version of myself.

Reuven

Rinkside
I've been asked if I would like to be (plug in age here), and my reply is, "Only if I can take this 50+ brain with me.":biggrin:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Several times lately I have noticed this unsettling trend.

I need to grow longer arms because I can't read the menu without my cheater glasses. And I often need glasses to find my glasses.

Nobody ever wants to see my ID.

I walk down the street and someone whistles and I suddenly realize it's my 13 year old they're looking at.

My knees pop louder than Rice Krispies in the morning.

I can pull a muscle getting a can of tomato sauce off the top shelf in the kitchen.

All the cops look like kids and my doctor seems awfully young, too.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
At Blue Jays baseball games, when each player comes up for his first at bat, they show some of his stats, including his age. Last summer my brother and I went to a game, and realized we were older than most of the players. We were 27 and 30 at the time. Only one player was older than my brother.

Yeah, I forgot about the "relative age to athletes" aspect of the whole thing. I remember back when all the skaters (I'm using the ladies in this example as they tend to be the youngest) were older than I was, then long about the Debi Thomas-Caryn Kadavy era they were exactly the same age, and now -- oh forget it. No one my age would be caught dead at Nationals. Well. Maybe dead.... :laugh:

On a semi-related note -- down here in San Diego, we get a lot of news footage of the sailors coming home from deployment in Iraq, and it's hard for me to look at it without at least ONCE saying, "Oh, my God, what are they, 12??????"

Alsace

On the Ice
Yeah, when Michelle Kwan came on the scene at age 12, I was a teenager. It was a realization that I'll never be a world-class skater and make it to the Olympics. (BTW, I've only passed through ISIA Alpha).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:agree: That is awesome!!!!

Being as Catherine Zeta Jones and I are the same age and I looked at who she married.....

Please. I think Ms. Jones is quite a few years older than she lets on... And I will hold fast to that belief until I see her birth certificate or talk to her mother...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Please. I think Ms. Jones is quite a few years older than she lets on... And I will hold fast to that belief until I see her birth certificate or talk to her mother...

:p You wish:laugh:

Funny though, since she has married the age does show.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I just looked at a calendar, and the boy I used to babysit for when I was a teenager turns 40 tomorrow.

Suzy

On the Ice
I know I'm old because:

1. I need reading glasses to see everything.
2. Men look at my teen daughters and not at me (even though I'm not fat)
3. My knees creak

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
When I get to one of the college classes that I teach this semester and find that one of my students is the son of someone that I worked with years ago.

When you go to Stars on Ice and think you have walked into Disney on Ice because so many of the skaters are skating to children's pop music.

When you are comfortable just being yourself and do not feel the slightest need to read a fashion magazine. When you are content to spend hours alone with your own thoughts rather than constantly distracting yourself with television, radio, etc. When you watch something on television, it is a rare occasion and it is special and something of value.

When you are happy to have a day when not one single part of your body hurts.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
When I have to instruct students how to fill out a cheque when they are paying for their books. :laugh: :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I remember when jeans were called dungarees(sp). It was so long ago
I forget how to spell the word.