Campbell's format announced | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Campbell's format announced

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:rofl: No doubt.
Mao I understand and am starting to like the idea despite my earlier ....well ...whatever.
But Mai why? and Ando must be pulling some clean (that is a good thing I like her) other wise I am totally perplexed. They want to over look the #4 at Olys for..........Ando let alone the second Asada? Well gives me more chance for courting:love: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ando is fine. It's Mai that I'm shaking my head over.

Maybe Suguri has another commitment somewhere...or they want to promote the "new faces" in skating...wait, SOME new faces...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really do like Miki, and can see that (in light of something clean going on) I agree, I can also see them "drumming up" the sisters. But I can't see why they would leave out my dream test baby? One or the other, but leave out Fumie? You must be on to something RD with the "prior engagement." Nipon skating must be out of their minds to leave her out unless there is a good reason - I hope:agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't worry if I were you. She'll be fine.

At least she may be the only veteran that plans to continue skating. Think of it that way.

Last edited:
Mai has at least one GP assignment, IIRC, so they may want her to get ready, and she must be pretty decent.

Also, I read recently that she has had to deal with some puberty monster issues ... maybe she'll be more competitive now?

And I've heard that she models, so she may have a fan base from that.

Last, she and Mao seem to be something of a sister act, so the Japanese Fed. may be actively promoting them as such.

Here endeth my second hand knowledge about Mai. Please correct me.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if Japan (or anyone) takes this event seriously, except as practice and PR.

I'm interested to see how she does.

But condolences, Seanibu. :cry:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yah, I can see that sister act, but I would rather see Mao Miki and Fumie, but hey...maybe she need some time to come to the states and meet me;)

Regardless I hope they do well. Who ever. But I will be missing.. I must need to slide down that rainbow.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't Mai Asada the toe axel poster girl? I seem to recall her getting repeatedly dinged for her underrotated 3Ts. Mao stopped doing the toe loop in combination because she, too, was getting dinged for toe axels.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OMG, Yukari or Yoshie.:agree: One has to wonder if "deep" might be so deep you don't know what to do.???? Maybe they want to promote as much of the "huge class" of talent. I might be they are just saying "this is how good we are." So many they don't need to showcase the same over and over. ???JAT

Skye

On the Ice
I think Fumie could not make it because she has Skate Canada starting Nov. 2 and the timing of Campbell's seems to contradict with her training schedules. Miki, Mao & Mai all compete at Skate America only 10 days after the Campbells, so it will be a good chance for them to try out their new programs in front of the international judges and American crowd. And now I get the feeling that without the Japanese Champion there, the US Champion Sasha is very likely to be dropping out and replaced.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And now I get the feeling that without the Japanese Champion there, the US Champion Sasha is very likely to be dropping out and replaced.

:) :yes:

agreed.

I think Fumie could not make it because she has Skate Canada starting Nov. 2 and the timing of Campbell's seems to contradict with her training schedules. Miki, Mao & Mai all compete at Skate America only 10 days after the Campbells, so it will be a good chance for them to try out their new programs in front of the international judges and American crowd. And now I get the feeling that without the Japanese Champion there, the US Champion Sasha is very likely to be dropping out and replaced.
That makes sense for them to practice in Connecticut after Campbells for Skate America which is a more important event.

I don't understand any reasoning for Sasha to drop out because Fumie will not be there. I believe Sasha is under contract to be there. The Japanese must have discussed their entrants when agreeing with the format since those three will be at SA.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Campbell's is not a real competition. Anyway KM is the best [competitive] skater in the World as of now, and that could imply she's the best in the US as well.

I'm not so sure i'd say Kimmie is the best competitive skater in the wolrd right now - she's the current wolrd champion but i've not seen any confirmation that Slutskaya has retired from the elligible ranks so i think i'd give that title to Slutskaya over Kimmie right now.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Irina hasn't announced her retirement from eligible skating, but it is well known in Russian circles (and Irina herself said as much in an interview while on tour with COI) that she does not plan to compete at all this year. So in her absence, Kimmie is indeed the top dog in the world, for this year at least.

And I see no reason for Sasha to drop out of Campbell's, just because Fumie isn't there. Fumie BEAT Sasha at Worlds. I would think Sasha would be relieved not to face her in Connecticut, especially given Sasha's lack of serious training since Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure i'd say Kimmie is the best competitive skater in the wolrd right now - she's the current wolrd champion but i've not seen any confirmation that Slutskaya has retired from the elligible ranks so i think i'd give that title to Slutskaya over Kimmie right now.

Ant

I think she said that she would take a break. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that she'll return, at least in the "eligible" ranks. I think for comparison purposes it's safe to say Meissner's the best right now (and maybe only Asada or Ando can give her a run for her money).

As the season progresses, things can change of course, but now this is how it looks.