If you have ever asked "Who's Fred&Ginger?".... | Golden Skate

If you have ever asked "Who's Fred&Ginger?"....

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I have pretty much concluded that most of you posters here are under 40 - maybe even under 30 - and many of you have no doubt at some time or another, heard references to "Fred&Ginger" during skating telecasts, particularly ice dancing events. You may have never heard of them before, or you have heard much about them but have never seen their dance-couple work in films.

Well, now you have a chance, coming up in October, to see who many ice dance couples over the years have tried to emulate in their ice routines.
Available Oct 17 or 24 on DVD will be the Fred Astaire&Ginger Rogers Ultimate Collectors Edition box set - all 10 of their films plus a bonus documentary disc and assorted lobby cards and other goodies.

Nine of these films were made in the 30's in black&white, and the 10th, "The Barkleys of Broadway" was a "reunion" film made in color in 1949.

The other films are: Swing Time, Shall We Dance, Top Hat, Roberta, Flying Down to Rio, Follow the Fleet, Carefree, The Story of Vern&Irene Castle, and The Gay Divorcee.

Of course, many of you may not be movie fans at all, or are not OLD movie fans, but for those of you skating fans who are, this is going to be a wonderful way to see who Torvill&Dean, Blumberg&Siebert, etc,etc, tried to look like in some of their numbers. Just thought I'd let you know.............

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I love watching Fred dance with anyone. :) I love the roller skating scene in, I think, SWING TIME. I was like, "ah! They're pair skating!", lol. I'm 24, but I watch ALOT of Turner classic Movies.:biggrin:

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Thanks for the tip. I love and have watched all of the Fred & Ginger movies ever since I was a young child. Definitely my favorite dance pair.

Reuven

Rinkside
Fred and Ginger were the best. Astaire and choreographer Hermes Pan, came up with some wonderful dance routines. I only wish people who televise skating would follow the "Astaire Rule" which was he insisted that the camera capture the dancer's entire body in the frame. After all, dance is with the entire body, as is skating. Just my pet peeve. :scowl:

Fred and Ginger rocked the ballroom scene, and Torvahl and Dean's Fox Trot in that 'comeback' Oly was perfect, imo. Gene Kelly agreed!!

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I always felt Gene Kelley would make a better example of a solo or pairs ice skater than Fred. Gene was a great deal more "acrobatic" where as Fred was a good candidate for Ice Dance, so "fluid." But this is from some one who is not a "trained" dancer past show choirs and self taught Ice Skater. So that is JMO.

"Astaire Rule" which was he insisted that the camera capture the dancer's entire body in the frame. After all, dance is with the entire body, as is skating. Just my pet peeve. :scowl:
YES!!! Keep bring that up, I will too. It is very annoying. Camera"persons" and directors get a clue!!!!!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I always felt Gene Kelley would make a better example of a solo or pairs ice skater than Fred. Gene was a great deal more "acrobatic" where as Fred was a good candidate for Ice Dance, so "fluid." But this is from some one who is not a "trained" dancer past show choirs and self taught Ice Skater. So that is JMO.

YES!!! Keep bring that up, I will too. It is very annoying. Camera"persons" and directors get a clue!!!!!

Actually Fred Astaire was fantastic on ice skates - if you ever catch the movie "The Belle of New York" you will see what I mean. Fred and Vera-Ellen ice skate in a "Currier and Ives" number. It's really great. I think Fred could have done anything - even ice dance.

:bow:

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
Fred and Benji

TV Guide says "So you think you can dance" winner Benji is going to portray Fred in a movie. I can't wait.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Actually Fred Astaire was fantastic on ice skates - if you ever catch the movie "The Belle of New York" you will see what I mean. Fred and Vera-Ellen ice skate in a "Currier and Ives" number. It's really great. I think Fred could have done anything - even ice dance.

:agree: 100%, but Gene I believe would have been great too, more in aspects of the "athletic" type. He had proved some ability on roller skates and later was on a special with Dorothy, but but this was past his prime. I would have loved to see him tackle the Ice earlier in his career like Fred did, and that is the point where I think Gene would have been better over all at FS, even though it most likely would never achieved Fred's silky smooth style, but more athleticism - a better balance of all of FS rather then master of the dance aspect.

Top Hat will remain a favorite of mine (in "dance films") because of it's comedy aspects as well as the dancing. Cheek to Cheek is a standout (must be I can remember the name:laugh: ) but my personal favorite was the number with Ginger singing. Also, that is one of those movies that just gets better and better as is goes along - start out kinda good, but by the end it turns into a "top" movie of the times. Also loved Flying down Rio, because it was were you saw that pair for the first time - I think. At times I would notice the look on their faces as though they were meant to do this and are knowing they are about to become the next big thing.

BTW, I thought Belle o' NY was a "neat" flick, but not that good as far as movies go.

Last edited:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Get a load o' this, guys:
In one of those 'Hollywood Congratulates Itself' TV specials, one of those 'Grande Olde Dames' of 30's and 40's cinema said "You fell in love with Fred Astaire, but saved your body for Gene Kelly"..........
How very enlightening.......

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
:agree: 100%, but Gene I believe would have been great too, more in aspects of the "athletic" type. He had proved some ability on roller skates and later was on a special with Dorothy, but but this was past his prime. I would have loved to see him tackle the Ice earlier in his career like Fred did, and that is the point where I think Gene would have been better over all at FS, even though it most likely would never achieved Fred's silky smooth style, but more athleticism - a better balance of all of FS rather then master of the dance aspect.

Top Hat will remain a favorite of mine (in "dance films") because of it's comedy aspects as well as the dancing. Cheek to Cheek is a standout (must be I can remember the name:laugh: ) but my personal favorite was the number with Ginger singing. Also, that is one of those movies that just gets better and better as is goes along - start out kinda good, but by the end it turns into a "top" movie of the times. Also loved Flying down Rio, because it was were you saw that pair for the first time - I think. At times I would notice the look on their faces as though they were meant to do this and are knowing they are about to become the next big thing.

BTW, I thought Belle o' NY was a "neat" flick, but not that good as far as movies go.

Both Fred and Gene would have been great figure skaters. They both have beautiful lines and control and although somewhat different in their styles both were unique and masters at what they did. Fred was sauve and sophisticated and Gene was athletic. Fred could make any of his partners look good - even if it was a coat rack!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice

I'm amazed to see a poster on this forum who has seen "Belle of New York"!
Not only is that movie way down the totum pole(underservedly) in conversations about Fred Astaire's movies, but Vera-Ellen, who is my favorite female dancer, is not a "big-name" star from that golden age of musicals, even though she received top "co-billing" with her more familiar co-stars.

Also, as I stated in my opening post, I didn't think there was anyone else here old enough to remember those old musicals! Glad to see it!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
"anyone old enough" ??? What am I, chopped liver? :rofl: There are quite a few on here that are in their 60's and I know a few in their 70's.
Did you know that Fred's wife insisted he have it in his contract that he never kiss a lady? I think he did in one.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Art was more important to education when I was growing up, plus a couple of girls I knew were taking film studies in collage. That along with some I took in HS sparked more of my interest in film history. But I think that the 25 and younger are not experiencing much of the past, like I did anyway. My niece thinks she has a diverse selection of music on her iPod. I found no Jazz, Blues, Classical, 50s rock n roll, show tunes, etc.... What some believe is diverse these days I just don't understand. What kind of future will we have if we forget where we came from?

BTW, I just have to say, Belle of New York was over rated from a film standpoint IMO. I was not good but it was "fun and entertaining" but I see why it was not popular.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
"anyone old enough" ??? What am I, chopped liver? :rofl: There are quite a few on here that are in their 60's and I know a few in their 70's.
Did you know that Fred's wife insisted he have it in his contract that he never kiss a lady? I think he did in one.

The one he did with Audrey Hepburn. They kissed at the end. :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fred could make any of his partners look good - even if it was a coat rack!

To substantiate that comment, something I found in trying to remember a movie.

"Everything Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did in high heels backwards. It makes Ginger sound superhuman unless you are in on the secret that wearing high heels actually helps you follow a dance lead.

The heels tip your body weight forward so you can share the leader's axis of balance without actually leaning too hard on him (or her if she's one of those fabulous women who know both parts). They also keep you on the ball of your foot ready to pivot or step in any direction while the flat-shod leader sticks to the floor, a stable and grounded center to keep you from tottering over."

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
And I have heard her tell of the studios furnishing her shoes. She tried to get them to get the right size and they wouldn't do it. Her feet were so sore and bleeding every day she danced. :cry: I don't see how anyone could dance with such sore feet. I bet Fred had what he wanted.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I really do think that the man has the harder job in ballroom/partnered dancing. Yes, high-heels-and-backwards, but he's leading. Leading is HARD.

I've heard tell that working with Fred Astaire was pretty hard on his co-stars (Gene Kelly, also) as he was a demanding perfectionist and was not very patient if you couldn't keep up or didn't pick up a step instantly. Still, obviously, when he got what he wanted it looked d*mn good, so can you blame him?

I love him in "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby. Particularly his solo on the Fourth of July, with fireworks.

(OMG! Someone under 30 has heard of and seen Fred Astaire! Though, I confess, possibly because he had a thing for those fifteen-minute balletic interludes, I'm more of a Gene Kelly girl...)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really do think that the man has the harder job in ballroom/partnered dancing. Yes, high-heels-and-backwards, but he's leading. Leading is HARD.
That is what I thought was cool about that article pointing out, Fred was the better of the two for sure:agree:
I've heard tell that working with Fred Astaire was pretty hard on his co-stars (Gene Kelly, also) as he was a demanding perfectionist and was not very patient if you couldn't keep up or didn't pick up a step instantly. Still, obviously, when he got what he wanted it looked d*mn good, so can you blame him?
Makes me wonder about Torvil and Dean eh?
(OMG! Someone under 30 has heard of and seen Fred Astaire! Though, I confess, possibly because he had a thing for those fifteen-minute balletic interludes, I'm more of a Gene Kelly girl...)
I really think you are a person after my own heart, despite how we met julietvalcouer. I have quite a bit of respect for you, particularly after that last comment. If I haven't already, apologies.:bow: :bow: :bow: