Brian Joubert and Andrey Berezintsev | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert and Andrey Berezintsev

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The choice of Berezintsev was always rather unusual. I do hope the new arrangement works out, but I am rather sceptical of Brian switching coaches a lot.

Jasper

Final Flight
Brian Joubert certainly creates drama off the court. He's the Marat Safin of figure skating with all these coaching changes! Sometimes it's better to just pick something and stick with it. Especially when it's seemingly working. Look at his improved fitness and results in Calgary!!!

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Brian is a good guy and hard worker. He probably switches coaches often because he's searching for that magical combination that will work for him. I get really tired of people b!tching about skaters switching coaches. They work for hours a day with these people and pay them a lot of money as well. A skater isn't unreasonable for wanting that "perfect"/comfortable working relationship. After what Brian has been through the past few seasons with the crappy programs and the loss of confidence, I would think he was crazy for NOT switching coaches. He had to go back to his old Morosov programs to rekindle the magic. Obviously something hadn't been working right that he wasn't comfortable with his programs.

And there is nothing wrong with Nicole Bobek searching for that comfortable working relationship. Nicole would have been better off working with a "nobody" coach who could devote all his/her time to her instead of being part of a big name coach's stable.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
According to Joubert, Didier Gailhauget is his most trusted advisor. Anyone who is his coach is subservient to that relationship, and I think that would undermine his relationship with any coach. JMO.

soogar

Record Breaker
According to Joubert, Didier Gailhauget is his most trusted advisor. Anyone who is his coach is subservient to that relationship, and I think that would undermine his relationship with any coach. JMO.

Well a coach is going to need to work with Didier if Brian values him that much. Before the scandal, I recall that Didier was a very respected coach and Brian Boitano worked with him on figures. There are worse people out there that could be influencing Brian.

Mamouchka

Rinkside
Brian is going to work with Jean-Christophe Simond (vice-European champion in 1988). It is Andrei who put an end to the collaboration!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Well a coach is going to need to work with Didier if Brian values him that much. Before the scandal, I recall that Didier was a very respected coach and Brian Boitano worked with him on figures. There are worse people out there that could be influencing Brian.
Then, in my opinion, Gailhauget should be coaching Joubert, not calling the shots while Joubert is supposedly being coached by someone else.