Which skaters could be around for 2 more Olympics? | Golden Skate

Which skaters could be around for 2 more Olympics?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Any current skaters are teams you believe that could be around for 2 more Olympics?

Here are some of mine:

Ladies-Asada, Kim, Meissner, Czisny
Men-Oda, Kozuka, Mura(Japan will have 3 spots by then I think), Chan, Reynolds
Pairs-Dube/Davison, Zhang/Zhang, Mukhortova/Trankov
Dance-Moir/Virtue, Mathews/Zazovin

Jasper

Final Flight
More than TWO more Olympics? Wow, that's a tough task, even for younglings like Meissner and Asada. I can see them competing in two more, but probably not three. It's so hard to predict!

Most likely it'd be ice dance teams. I agree about Belbin/Agosto.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Meissner, definitely. She's still young.

Asada missed this olympics only because of the age rule. If she can keep up her difficulty of skating up, definitely see her in two more OG's.

Czisny hasn't even been to one and I'm not sure whether she'll even be around in skating to compete for 2010 and especially 2014.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
More than TWO more Olympics? Wow, that's a tough task, even for younglings like Meissner and Asada. I can see them competing in two more, but probably not three. It's so hard to predict!

Most likely it'd be ice dance teams. I agree about Belbin/Agosto.

I meant two more Olympics only, the more I accidently typed twice. Mathman, if you can please change that to only two more Olympics not, more two more Olympics.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Kim- if she stays healthy and avoids a nervous breakdown because she doesn't rely on jumping. Yet she is solid.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think the current newbies definitely for 2010 but I do not expect to see many of the newbies from 2010 at the Olympics in 2014. Eight years is a long time for a skater to stay on top not impossible but highly unlikely . I expect that the Olympic skaters of 2014 are not even on the scene yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Davis/White should still be around. She is 19 and he is 18. They would be 27 and 26, not old at all in ice dance.

Some of the "leading ladies" for 2014 might be about 13 or 14 now. Think Carolyn Zhang and Rachael Flatt. I am not sure Mao Asada will still be around. She might be having severe physical problems by then, if not sooner.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Davis/White should still be around. She is 19 and he is 18. They would be 27 and 26, not old at all in ice dance.

Some of the "leading ladies" for 2014 might be about 13 or 14 now. Think Carolyn Zhang and Rachael Flatt. I am not sure Mao Asada will still be around. She might be having severe physical problems by then, if not sooner.

Actually ice dancers often compete into their early 30s, so in theory Davis/White and Belbin/Agosto could be around for 3 Olympics each(Belbin/Agosto that would 2 more of course, having already had 1). Probably though will for only 2 though since the motivation to keep going after being in so long, and commiting so much of your life to training and competition so long would take its toll, if the physical aspect of being at the top level that long didnt also.

Do you think Asada has similar chances as whatever Meissner and Kim have to be around that long(however low that might be)or do you think Meissner and/or
Kim have a greater chance then Asada to stay in that long?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to think the loop jump as well as the repeated quad attempts will eventually impact Asada's hips. Mao does not do toe loops or salchows. All her combinations are done with loops, and that jump is particularly hard on the hip.

Kim and Meissner do not emphasize the loop the way Mao does and they are not working on quads. I see them as having greater longevity than Mao.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I think Mao will loose some of her jumping ability as her body matures and she fills out.

Kimmie, Yu-Na, and Katy will last much longer

Skye

On the Ice
Personally, I don't understand why so many people seem to think that Mao will sooner or later grow out of her jumps and/or get injured. AFAIK, 1) She's already gone through a growth spurt the last 2 seasons, and it did not effect any of her jumps yet. 2) The loop itself is not a problematic jump. Isn't it a loop jump attempted with wrong technic, resulting in frequent falls that hurts the skater's hips? The loop is supposedly Mao's easiest jump, though it's very odd that Mao has problems with the 2 easiest triples.
I just don't see the rationale in predicting a shortlived career by the fact that she focuses a lot on jumps. She is still very young, and that's what all the young jumping beans do - including Kimmie, Yu-Na and Katy.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
well lets see, around for two more is much different than competing in two more. Lots of skaters are around for 2 olympics, not many make it to that many.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I don't understand why so many people seem to think that Mao will sooner or later grow out of her jumps and/or get injured. AFAIK, 1) She's already gone through a growth spurt the last 2 seasons, and it did not effect any of her jumps yet. 2) The loop itself is not a problematic jump. Isn't it a loop jump attempted with wrong technic, resulting in frequent falls that hurts the skater's hips? The loop is supposedly Mao's easiest jump, though it's very odd that Mao has problems with the 2 easiest triples.
I just don't see the rationale in predicting a shortlived career by the fact that she focuses a lot on jumps. She is still very young, and that's what all the young jumping beans do - including Kimmie, Yu-Na and Katy.

Triple loops are hard on the hip and back muscles. Tara Lipinski had to have surgery on her hip and Michelle Kwan, who has avoided the loop jump altogether her last two seasons, has hip and back problems.

Mao is also practicing 3As and quads, which are very rough on the hip socket and the knees. Look at the problems the men have had: Yagudin can no longer do 3A or quads at all; Lambiel has chronic knee problems; Plushenko has bad knees and had to have surgery for two inguinal hernias. Miki Ando used to have a quad, and continues to practice it, but she dislocated her shoulder practicing the quad in the 2004-2005 season, and suffered from foot and ankle problems last season.

Mao practices jumping constantly, trying to up the ante. All that pounding creates wear and tear on the body. While she was 86 pounds and tiny, she found jumping effortless, but she hasn't gone completely through puberty yet. As she fills out and gains weight, it's going to get tougher and tougher to muscle through the rotations, and that's when she will feel the effects of the pounding.