Joannie Rochette's Journal Update | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette's Journal Update

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just a heads up. She hasn't written since January but in the past two weeks she's written three, two of them quite lengthy. Her experience at Worlds is particularly of interest here.

http://www.joannierochette.com/journal.htm

I was very well trained for [2006 Worlds]. Psychologically, I was trying to focus on enjoying the opportunity of competing at Worlds on home ice and to do my very best and take it one program at the time because I knew it would be a long week. In truth, I was determined to win my first Worlds medal in Calgary. I felt like that goal was reachable for me.

[snip]

Once I finally made it to Calgary, everything went very well. All my practices were particularly good. I barely missed any jump. Not a "two foot landing", not even a hand down. Prior to the event, I had worked on a triple lutz-triple toe combo for my short program. I was landing solid ones in practice but my coach Manon and I agreed to not include it. When I'll include a triple-triple combo in my short program (other than triple toe-triple toe) it will be because the jump will be secure enough and, most important, there will be no doubt about the completion of the rotation.

[snip]

Saturday was the end of a very long and emotional season. I entered the long in 5th place and a podium was still possible. After a solid warm-up, I was waiting my turn backstage. As much as possible, I didn't want to know how the previous skaters would skate but when I went out of the room, I heard the crowd.

I started my program and felt literally flat. Like if I didn't have the energy left to fight. In the end, I performed a very disappointing four triple jumps program and my overall performance was not as inspired as it should have been. Usually, a six triple jumps program is "ok" for me and a 7 triples program is a good one. I did four that night! I ended the night in 7th place overall. We will never know how I would have scored and where I would have finished had I performed an "ok" or a good program. Oh well... That's all behind us now!

Today, I feel a lot of positive things happened on that night. First, the support of the crowd. All week long, the skating fans were absolutely AMAZING with me. Even after my long, I felt a lot of support. Second, what would it have been if I had found myself in the same situation (last flight, medal contention, very noisy and supportive home crowd, lots of emotions in the previous weeks, fatigue, etc.) for the first time in Vancouver, at the Olympics in 2010? Believe me, I learned from my experience and about the importance of sticking to an original plan during an event because many things can happen meanwhile. I cannot get distracted anymore by other's performances, whether they are good or not. Third, I am more motivated and determined than I have ever been. I think it woke up the little fighter in me that I have always been, back when I was novice. (I was disappointed at my first Nationals in novice where I finished 15th. The year after, I won novice.) Fourth, never ask me for predictions!!!

It's always real interesting to get a skater's perspective on her experience. And I agree with her on the last part :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
An update where she talks about her new freeskate (and some other tidbits):

http://www.joannierochette.com/journal.htm

For the first time, I was really involved in the music search. Usually, some music was suggested and we would go with it. This time, I went myself in music stores, purchased many CDs and listened to them. Our choice: the story of Maria from the musical Don Juan, written by a French, Felix Gray. This show has been very successful in Quebec and France.

The program is built in three sections. The introduction, where we "discover" Maria and the Flamenco feel of the theme, the middle section that portrays the love story Maria has with Don Juan and the finale where Maria witnesses the death of her beloved Don Juan at the end of his duel with Raphael. Technically, the program is very challenging! We plan 7 seven triple jumps and 2 double axels. It is also very demanding since the music is particularly dynamic in the last minute of the program.

shine

Record Breaker
Wow, I just CANNOT wait to see this long program! Go Joannie! I hope for a break through season for her!

CDMM1991

Medalist
Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic program, and sounds like she's looking great for the upcoming seasons. To echo GO JOANNIEEEE!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I like Joannie's journal entries. She doesn't write often but when she does they tend to be LONG and DETAILED. Gives you a good glimpse into her skating life and she's also nice enough to share her experiences and other tidbits. :agree: As for her skating it's not quite my cup of tea but good luck to her next season. Sounds like she's ready to go to me! 7 triple jumps? Wow. A dark horse waiting in the wings, maybe?

Her Olympic LP scheduled 7 triples without a triple-triple. (She double her Lutz, so she only landed 6.) She was able to do that because she did a 2A/3S sequence.

That was cool to read about how much thought she put into her music. Joannie is usually regarded as an athletic skater rather than a lyrical one. I really look forward to seeing what she can do with flamenco rhythms and a melodramatic opera story line.