ISU concerned with Celebrity TV Skating Shows | Golden Skate

ISU concerned with Celebrity TV Skating Shows

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think they want celebrity skating shows that have "judges" and where the teams "compete" to be ISU-sanctioned events. They see them as "competitions" rather than "shows".

Alsace

On the Ice
I think perhaps an eligible skater was asked to join a celebrity show, the skater's federation asked the ISU and this is the response. I don't think the ISU is trying to horn in on these shows, but is trying to make it clear that these are for non-eligibles.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Or, could someone be thinking of inviting pros to something along the lines of "Skating Idol"?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think it's just another case of $peedy trying to control everything that happens on an ice rink.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it's just another case of $peedy trying to control everything that happens on an ice rink.

As long as a skater remains eligible, ISU has that right. These days certain skaters seem to wish to eat their cake and to save it in the same time, so to speak, LOL.

have to agree with ISU in this matter. As far as I have understood, those events are sort of competitions which are being judged. Well, if an eligible skater is eager to participate, she/he can turn pro in that case.

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
This statement indicates that eligible AND ineligible skaters are discouraged/prohibited from these events. I agree with JonnyCoop, more arrogance on the part of the ISU and Speedy

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like you are all correct. It is most likely a little bit of everything. But mainly controlling imo.

eta - they must not understand the residual effect of increasing popularity. It might bother them that they didn't think of it. It was kinda a no brainer with all of the types of show following that format. - wasn't it Nancy K who put the first one together?

Last edited:

Blue Bead

Medalist
Since Speedy and the ISU don't get a cut of the monies out of these shows, I can understand why there are suddenly rules discouraging eligible skaters from participating in these shows. (Not that I agree with his thinking, LOL) Speedy's just a greedy dude. If it doesn't benefit him and the ISU financially he doesn't want skaters to benefit either.

On the other hand, if the ISU were to allow eligible skaters to participate those skaters might be able to make money to help pay for the costs of their very expensive sport.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Indeed - the next communication will probably say that the shows have to pay a bunch of money to the ISU in order to broadcast...knowing what a greedy man $peedy is he'll probably even try to control the careers/take a sum for future earning from the Celebs who take part :laugh:

Ant

Actually, though, I can see Speedy's point. Besides the control thing, he wants to be firm on the point that figure skating is a legitimate athletic enterprise, not a clown show.

On the other hand, if this type of entertainment becomes popular, Speedy might be biting the hand that feeds him. Maybe it would stir up some much needed publicity for the sport if they had, say, Sasha Cohen teaching Brad Pitt to skate -- and then afterward she ended up pregnant and broke up Brad's marriage to Angela Jolie. ... Nah, that's too far-fetched. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brad and Angie aren't married yet (unless they got hitched while I've been away from the net [but you'd think it'd be on the tv lol]) ;)

Must have been a slow week at the ISU... ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
Last rumor on Brangelina was 'Brad says "No more children without marriage"' So, I'm guessing they aren't married unless they did it in secret.

There's also another rumor that she's either pregnant again or that she wants to adopt another child.

Back on topic, I heard that Jennifer Aniston was taking up figure skaking to win him back.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's not just the eligible skaters that the ISU is banning from participating in these TV shows, but Tech Specs, and all other people *in the Official* of the ISU! :no:

I think the decision sucks and the ISU is just jealous cos most of the shows have been incredibly popular around the world, especially here in the UK, and ressurrected T&D's performing career. :clap:

This rotten decision will probably deprive me of seeing my favourite skater in Dancing on Ice 2 as she's also a Tech Spec. :frown:

I'm depressed. :disapp: