Who are the gods in your music pantheon | Golden Skate

Who are the gods in your music pantheon

E

eltamina

Who are the gods in your music pantheon

and please make your case with one piece/composition from each composer.

I like to play this game of nominating the gods into the music pantheon, and justify that with one piece of music. (These are my desert island copies too)

There are 12 in my list

10 permanent + 2 rotating seats

The 10 permanent seats do not change, but the pieces of music may change from time to time. Here is my list today. ( 1- 10 in alphabetical order, not in ranking order, it is a round table LOL)

1. J.S. Bach : Mass in B minor
2. L V Beethoven: Symphony #3
3. Berliioz: Symphony fantastique
4 Brahms: clarinet quintet
5 Handel: Messiah
6 Hadyn: symphony # 95 in C minor
7 Mahler: Symphony #9
8 Mendelssohn: Mid Summer nights dream
9 Mozart: Quintet in G minor
10. Tchaikovsky: Nut Cracker

Rotating seats:

11. Robert Schumann: piano cto in A minor
12. Wagner: Tristan & Isolde

<span style="color:red;font-size:xx-small;">Who are the gods in your pantheon?</span>

M

mathman444

Re: Who are the gods in your music pantheon

Not the Magic Flute?????

E

eltamina

Magic flute and the fart symphony

Well, professor MM, the pieces may change.

I am listening to Hadyn's Sym #93 in D right now, so I change the Hadyn #95 to #93 now.

Hadyn has a nice sense of humor, and the fart symphony has provided so much fun for little kids all over the world, so he deserves this god status because of the fart symphony # 93 IMO. :rollin:

BTW, MM I checked out the Goulding book from the library. You are forcing me to read. I hate to read, do I get a prize (claiming it on behalf of a skater's birthday of course) for reading it?

J

Joesitz

Re: Magic flute and the fart symphony

Beethoven - everything
Brahms - most everything
Berlioz - most everything
Mahler - most everything
Sibelius - 2nd Symphony played loud on a nice day in a convertible

Wagner - DieMeistersinger and all the others
R. Strauss - Der rosenkavalier and all thje others
Verdi - Falstaff
Pucini - La Fanciula del West

and Cole Porter - Kiss Me Kate!

Joe

M

mathman444

Re: Musical Pantheon

Ok, here is my attempt. I wasn't able to get it down to just one song for my very favorites, however.

I left off Beethoven (but I left a space for him, listing only eleven composers). I am still trying to come to grips with his music.

<em>Classical:</em>

Haydn. String Quartet Op. 76 no. 4 (no. 5 is just as good);
Symphony no. 94 (Surprise); Trumpet Concerto in Eb.

Mozart. Wind serenade no. 11 in Eb; The Marriage of Figaro; Oboe Concerto in C.

<em>Baroque.</em>

Bach. Cantata no. 147 (Herz und Mund); Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Handel. The Messiah (won't come and Michelle won't go).

<em>Romantic:</em>

Brahms. Piano Concerto no. 2

Tchaikovsky. Sixth Symphony

<em>Dance/March:</em>

Johann Strauss. Blue Danube; Vienna Woods.

Sousa. The Stars and Stripes Forever.

<em>Songs:</em>

Schubert. Ave Maria

Stevie Wonder. You Are the Sunshine of My Life; Isn't She Lovely

<em>Wild Card:</em>

Hummel. Trumpet Concerto; Piano Concerto no 1.

About the Goulding book, what I liked about it was that the author didn't know any more about the subject of classical music than I did, before he began this research project in his retirement. So it had a fresh point of view, as compared to more ponderous works by scholarly musicologists.

Mathman

K

Kasey

Surely this is not just for classical music?? ;)

1. Bach...Prelude to the 2nd Sonata...most beautiful piece of music ever created in my mind!

2. Debussey...Clair de lune....second most beautiful!

3. Nick Drake...Black Eyed Dog, Pink Moon, anything that he did in his brief life

4. Beethoven...Moonlight Sonata...Yeah, I know it's probably a cliched choice, but I still find it totally stunning! Also, second movement of Pathetique

5. Jeff Buckley...Grace, Lilac Wine...Another great potential talent lost far too soon

6. Lizst...Liebestrom...always gets to me, just hits me with beauty and passion

7. Alexi Murdoch...NEW FOLK ARTIST!!! Check him out at aleximurdoch.com...there is a link to where you can buy his CD...you can listen to exerpts of his songs. Take a sober Nick Drake, mix in a spoonful of Harry Chapin, and slide it over the rocks! SMOOTH

8. John Mellencamp...Big Daddy, Scarecrow, Human Wheels, I could go on! I probably should have put him first!

9. Albinoni...Adagio...Nuff said

10. Tracy Chapman...Tell it like it is...The girl is gifted!

Ummmm, rotating positions...hmmmmmm...How about Barry Manilow and Neil Sedaka! ;) HEE HEE

okay, number one of the two "rotators" would be Bono...anyone who can come up with "The Joshua Tree" CD is truly gifted.

Number 2...Orrff...Carmina Burana...Talk about power!

I'm sure that my list will greatly differ from others! Again, a subjective thing...

S

schmooze1

Great topic it has actually made me think about what I listen to!!!

1) Beethoven - Moonlight sonata, stunning in it's simplicity

2) Sibelius - Valse Triste

3) Grieg - The Peer Gynt Suite (think it is among the most under-used music in skating)

4) Rachmaninov - Vocalise

5) Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F

6) Theme from Harry Potter - Can't explain this other than when I heard it played by a full orchestra I was blown away!

7) Giselle, great ballet great music

:cool: Pachelbel - Canon in D

9) Debussy - Reverie

10) and one that isn't classical but gets me every time is either Eva Cassidy or Nadine Coyle's version of Fields of Gold

There are oceans and oceans of others that I could list but I'd be here forever, for me it depends on my mood as to what I listen to but I picked the above ten because they are among the few that no matter what mood I am in I can listen to ;)

G

GoldenLady1

music

Great topic!

Okay, I'll give this a whirl - but I'm sure to forget someone... Also, I'll have to put down a couple of pieces for some of the composers. Well, here goes:

1. Beethoven - Symphony #7 (Symphony #3 is close behind, and I the violin concerto is also a favourite)

2. Brahms - Symphony #2 (I love all the symphonies, but if I have to pick one...)

3. Mahler - Symphony #5

4. Handel - Water Music

5. Bach - Brandenburg Concertos (oops - does that count as 6 pieces?)

6. Mozart - Piano Concerto #23

7. Schubert - Symphony #5

8. Haydn - Cello Concerto

9. Tchaikovsky - Symphony #6 and violin concerto

10. Bruch - Violin Concerto in G minor - brings back fond memories from having played it in university

11. Schumann - Symphony #4

Etc., etc. - but I'll stop here for now. :)

GoldenLady

E

eltamina

Thanks for the participation

Joesitz, MM, Kasey, schmooze 1, and goldenlady1

Yes, music pantheon not classical music pantheon. I am learning for your guys/gals

S

Show 42

Re: Thanks for the participation

Alright....some of my favs....
1. Anything "Rach"
2. Mozart "Allegro from Violin Concerto No. 3"
3. Saint-Saens "Bacchanale from Samson and Deliah"
4. Rimsky-Korsakoff "Finale from Scheherazade"
5. Vivaldi "Allegro from the Spring from The Four
Seasons"
6. Mozart "Rondo alla Turca: Allegretto from
Piano Sonata No. 11"
7. Prokofiev "Marche, Acte 11, L'Amour pour
les trois Oranges"
8. Mozart "Molto allegro from Symphony No. 40"
9. Khachaturian "Sabre Dance from Gayane"
10. Kenny G (anything.......see, I can be diverse)

R

rgirl181

Re: Thanks for the participation

Okay, I even went through my old vinyls, all my CDs, my wish list, and was serious and thought hard and everything and here's my list, in no particular order. I couldn't think that hard;) And I went over 10, sorry. Way over, actually.

1. Alban Berg. Violin Concerto, 1935, aka, "Requiem for Manon" who was Alma Mahler's daughter, of whom Berg was very fond (Berg among many). The person I think plays this best by far is Yehudi Menuhin. You can hear other soloists and it doesn't even sound like the same music.
2. Beethoven. Tough to pick favorites, but I'll picked Piano Sonato Op. 111. This was his final piano sonata and there is a section where one note is struck in a kind of broken, but increasingly forté manner, as if Beethoven is pounding the note again and again, desperate to hear it. Op. 111 also has sections in it that sound like pure be-bop. Also love the Late String Quartets and the "Emperor" Cto. as played by Alfred Brendel.
3. Anton Bruckner. It was said of Bruckner, "He is where he is going." His music tends to take some getting used to but if you can run to it, I think it helps. One of my favorites, Symphony #4, Romantische, as played by the Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan.
4. David Byrne. Music for dance "The Catherine Wheel" and, with Talking Heads, music from the album "Remain in Light."
5. The Beatles. "Sgt. Pepper," "Rubber Soul."
6. Bach. The Goldberg Variations played by Glenn Gould, both the 1955 and the recording just before he died. The Unaccompanied Violin Sonatas and Partitas--Menuhin. The Well-Tempered Clavier--Gould.
7. Laurie Anderson. "Big Science."
8. Saint-Saens. Violin Sonata in D min Op 75 with soloist Elmar Oliveira.
9. Cream. "Disraeli Gears."
10. Mahler. Symphonies #1, 4, and 9, conducted by Leonard Bernstein. Kindertotenlieder and Songs from Ruckert, especially as sung by Dietrich Fischer-Diskau. For me, "Ich bin der Welt abhandon Geikommen" is the greatest piece of music ever written, but the conductor in the orchestral version has to give the minor chord before the last "in meinem Lied" the right timing and emphasis otherwise the song loses its power. Bernstein gets it right, both orchestrally and on piano.
11. Lou Reed. "Mistrial." "Rock 'n Roll Animal."
12. Mozart. "Don Giovanni." "Requiem."
13. Nino Rota. "Prova d' Orchestra." Music for film "Casanova."
14. Nirvana. "Nevermind." <<Hey, Mathman! "In Utero." "Unplugged in New York."
15. Phillip Glass: Music for film "The Thin Blue Line." Music for dance "In the Upper Room." Music for film "Koyannisquatsi."
Edited to add:
16. Chopin: The Preludes and Etudes, especially as performed by Murray Perahia.
17. Brahams: 1st Symphony. Brahams is having to compete with Beethoven, do something to blow people away in comparison to Ludwig van. The opening chords and arrangement of the Brahams 1st is like hearing Strauss's "Thus Spake Zarathustra" for the first time.
18. Michael Nyman: Music for various films by Peter Greenaway, "The Architect's Contract," "A Zed and Two Naughts," "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover," "Prospero's Books" and others.
19. Peter Gabriel: Music for the films "The Last Temptation of Christ" and "Rabbit-Proof Fence." For "RPF," Gabriel asked the director to have the sound engineer send him natural sounds from the part of Australia where the film took place--animals, wind blowing through various flora, native sounds, anything.
20. Leonard Cohen: Songs: Suzanne ("Suzanne takes you down to the place by the river..."); Winter Lady; The Stranger Song; Sisters Of Mercy; One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong; Bird On The Wire; Story Of Isaac; A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes; Lady Midnight; Tonight Will Be Fine; Avalanche; Last Year's Man; Diamonds In The Mine; Love Calls You By Your Name; Sing Another Song, Boys; and many others

Thanks Eltamina. Great topic! This isn't as organized as I'd hoped, I broke the rules, but it's the gist.
Edited to add: Actually, this isn't organized at all. I'm going to have to come back sometime and both whittle it down and arrange it.
Rgirl

E

emiC

No nomination from me yet

From Math Mann

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Now, I really do think that you would enjoy cultivating an interest in music. How about the three Hilary Hahn CDs, the Beethoven, Brahms and Mendellsohn...., and Top 50 composers by P. Goulding....[/quote]

These things take time, but I have taken up your encouragement/ challenge. Onward emiC to cultivate total interet in music. Where to begin?

My assignment

Hilary Hahn, Beethoven, Brahms, Mendellsohn, and P. Goulding

I went to a music store about 25 miles away. It is located in the basement of a semi historic building. According to my friends the staff there know their classical music stuff. I asked for Hilary Hahn, Brahms, Beethoven, and Mendellsohn. A 20 year old young lady with pink hair told me to get the Babe Bell, I mean Joshua Bell recording with Beethoven and Felix. Sorry, Hahn is all sold out or in back order or something. For the Brahms she recommended a 2 cds set for the price of one with Brahms and Joachim by Rachel Barton. She told me a very touching story about Rachel Barton. It was released in 5/03, they were expecting the cds to arrive soon. It is a bargain according to her. So, I bought the Sony, and ordered the Cedille. What do you think? I did good!!!!

I ordered the The top 50 composer book this morning. Thank goodness for amazon.

What about Hilary Hahn, I will try to attend some of her performances in this coming season.

I shall return to this thread in a few months. :)

M

mathman444

Re: No nomination from me yet

I just ordered the Cedille, too!

Herr Uberprofessor Doktor Mann