The Kimmie Article | Golden Skate

The Kimmie Article

on GS's Home Page.

She does workout both on and OFF the ice. It's not just old ballet. It's weights and aerobics. And full time High School.

With this program is she headed for Gold? at Campbells? at Skate America?
at TEB? and US Nats?

What about Sasha? Mao? Ya Nu? Rochette?

Expectations are high for this teenager. Maybe too high.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Are you referring to the article that takes you to the US Olympic team page? I've seen that one before (and posted it), it was in the Baltimore Sun earlier.

Sometimes you kind of cruise along and then strike it big. Kimmie strikes me as one of those who wants to win more badly than anyone but either can't or won't show it. I think the next couple of seasons will be the real test for her. Of course expectations are high- she's proven herself at Worlds and set the bar high for herself and everyone else. People are going to expect her to do really well since she has now shown that she can "do it".

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
on GS's Home Page.

With this program is she headed for Gold? at Campbells? at Skate America?
at TEB? and US Nats?

What about Sasha? Mao? Ya Nu? Rochette?

Joe

Off the top of my head I don't remember who Kimmie will be competing against at any of those competitions. I'd say she has the potential to medal at any and/or all of them. Sasha, if she does show up at Nationals I think she will flop like always. She's wasting her time with acting and then thinks she can waltz into Nats and win it? I don't think so. I think Kimmie has the heart, the mentality, the drive, the determination, and the ability to win. I'm sure she knows that she won on technical merit at Worlds, and because the pre-determined favorites didn't bring their best, and that she will need to improve on the presentation aspect of her skating. I think she can do it. She also has the pressure of going in as world champ, who knows how she'll respond to that? She doesn't seem the type to be overly affected by it but time will tell for sure. Mao, who knows. She looks to have grown since last year and I don't know how that will affect her. Also, there is a lot of pressure on her I'm sure, it will be interesting to see how she handles it. I could see her medaling at worlds, and gold is certainly possible. Yu Na, I can't comment on because I haven't seen enough of her to know. I think she, too is under a lot of pressure. I think we could be possibly looking at a disasterous year if all these young ones come in laden down with pressure, we could see meltdown after meltdown. Or we could see each one step up to the task and show us their very best. I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Last year the young ones were the ones to step up to the plate. They were all in a no-pressure situation.

This year the young ones are the best remaining in a veteran-empty field. Suddenly for many of these folks it becomes a high-pressure situation. I don't think we'll see the same carefree attitude from many of them, Mao included.

As for Cohen I don't remember her saying she would show up at nats at all. I'd be surprised if she did. But as always I think she'll underestimate her competition (like she did at Worlds) and find herself clinging to the podium behind a surprise finisher or so.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
As for Cohen I don't remember her saying she would show up at nats at all. I'd be surprised if she did. But as always I think she'll underestimate her competition (like she did at Worlds) and find herself clinging to the podium behind a surprise finisher or so.

USFS website has an article up stating that Cohen has registered for Nationals. She has not come right out and said that she will definitely be there, but she is keeping the possibility open. I'm not leaning one way or another in terms of whether of not I think she'll show up, but Campbell's might give us a better idea. If she skates poorly there she may decide to take the rest of the year off. If she skates brilliantly (not likely, but who knows?), perhaps that will motivate her to get back to serious training for Nationals. If she does show up to Nats, I think she'll come in with the attitude that it will be a cake walk, assume that she has no real competition, and wind up disappointed yet again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, so I guess she's at least considering going to nats. But from the way she sounded this spring I don't think she's gonna go. I don't think she has the resources nor the energy to be really well prepared for 2007 nats, so she COULD go but I wouldn't expect much of her in that regard.

It's a new era now and I think she'll get left behind.

USFS website has an article up stating that Cohen has registered for Nationals. She has not come right out and said that she will definitely be there, but she is keeping the possibility open. I'm not leaning one way or another in terms of whether of not I think she'll show up, but Campbell's might give us a better idea. If she skates poorly there she may decide to take the rest of the year off. If she skates brilliantly (not likely, but who knows?), perhaps that will motivate her to get back to serious training for Nationals. If she does show up to Nats, I think she'll come in with the attitude that it will be a cake walk, assume that she has no real competition, and wind up disappointed yet again.
This assessment of what would make Sasha go to Nats may be right. But she would hardly look on it as a "cake walk" after getting creamed by Kimmie at Worlds (after publicly declaring that the field was less than challenging). She knows she doesn't have a triple axel and rarely does 3/3's. She knows she loses competitions in the LP. I think she knows exactly what she's up against and will make decisions and train accordingly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Meissner has never won a national title so I expect her to go all out for it. She did last year, so I expect the same from her this time around.

Cohen already has a Nat title; it depends on whether she would want another one or just would want to get on the podium for another shot at Worlds.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I doubt Sasha would think going to Nationals would be "cake walk" after the way Worlds went for her. I imagine that she will see how the Cheesefest goes, how her competitors do in the GPS and what off-ice opportunities come her way. Nicks said he spoke to her last week and was the opinion a year off may be good physically, but history shows it's not easy to make a comeback. That, to me, shows Sasha is leaning towards a year off but unsure if she should do it. I think if she was taking the route Michelle did, limited competitions, she would just skip the GPS.

I also think Sasha's body probably won't hold up under more streneous training-mainly training for 7 triples, 3/3's, and she is taking that into consideration as the new batch of kids come roaring up. So, exploring other options while she's still in the afterglow of her OSM, and at the top of her sport may be a wise choice. She will always have skating to fall back on, eligible or pro, so why not see what's out there?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Like Kwan, I think Cohen's demise will be her mind wanting to do something her body can't.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Does that mean you think Sasha WANTS to continue competing? I would think she does as she does not have the resume she hoped to have, but sometimes it seems to gets distracted by outside opportunities that affect her skating. Not that I think Michelle wants to skate/compete/win more than Sasha. I've always felt skating was all Michelle was interested in, which is why i think it's greta she's giving college her full attention, for the year anyway.

I get that Michelle's body gave out on her before her mind acknowledged she wasn't healthy to go for it, but "demise" is such a negative word. Michelle has nothing to prove, OGM or no OGM. There are those who say she should've retired in 2003, "at the top of her sport." For me, anything after that was the cherry on top of a perfect sundae and she earned the right to dictate when enough was enough, no matter what her body was telling her.

Kirk Wessler is such a wise fellow:
http://www.pjstar.com/stories/090806/KIR_BATABBPP.073.shtml
Good for Michelle Kwan, the figure-skating queen who enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Denver. ... Kwan says she hasn't determined whether to return to competition, but there will be many pundits who encourage her to hang up the skates. ... I say she should do whatever makes her happy and let the naysayers flit in a snit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I never said that I think Cohen wants to continue. Remember, I was the first one predicting her to retire as soon as possible, even though she claims she wants to be at another Olympics. Not going to happen- the Olympics part, that is. Even if she really wants it to.

MK seemed to have several peaks in her career, the latest one being 2003. Then her "demise"- sorry, can't think of any other word here- came when she wanted to make another run at an OGM but her body could no longer handle the competitive strain. I think the same thing will happen to Cohen. She already seems brittle so I think it's only a matter of time before she simply can't skate any more. I say she's doing the right thing (looking for other opportunities). I absolutely despise wannabe actresses or singers :mad: - think Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan, but if one REALLY wants to do that, knock yourself out. You just have one new enemy. :laugh:

P.S. that Kirk fellow sounds like an MKF poster. :cool:

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
"I think Kimmie has the heart, the mentality, the drive, the determination, and the ability to win. I'm sure she knows that she won on technical merit at Worlds, and because the pre-determined favorites didn't bring their best, and that she will need to improve on the presentation aspect of her skating. I think she can do it."

ITA. Occasionally I get a 'buzz' about a young skater, the feeling that they're going to be around for a while and make a substantial mark. I had it with Kwan in 94 and Slute a few years later. Not every young skater I've gotten that feeling about has made it but OTOH I can't think of any skater who has made that long-term impact that I haven't had that feeling about by the second competition I've seen them in.

At Turin, Kimmie was (in terms of coverage) the fourth of the US ladies (after Cohen/Kwan and Hughes and I noted how mechanical her presentation was and how she was trying to get to the level of the not overly sophisticated by any means choreography as opposed to just expressing it. (I think the genius of Nichols is that she gave Meissner choreography that was _just_ out of her reach at this stage, the kind she'd learn from rather than be overwhelmed by).
By worlds, I noticed how much better (though still rough) her execution was. In other words, she'd obviously learned a thing or two at the Palavela and had seriously _worked_ between Turin and Calgary. I remember somebody here writing that she was _studying_ the veterans at Turin trying to figure out how she could beat them.
Lots can happen to prevent her from continuing at the Calgary level but I definitely got that Kwan/Slute vibe from her. She likes competing for its own sake and will do what it takes to progress and do well over the long term (in other words: her goal isn't to win a big competition or two and retire). I don't think she's going to up her jump content (because... why?) and I don't like her toe-axelish toe loops but I think her presentation skills will improve a lot (over time).

Skye

On the Ice
Occasionally I get a 'buzz' about a young skater, the feeling that they're going to be around for a while and make a substantial mark. I had it with Kwan in 94 and Slute a few years later. Not every young skater I've gotten that feeling about has made it but OTOH I can't think of any skater who has made that long-term impact that I haven't had that feeling about by the second competition I've seen them in.

During the last 4 years, I got that 'buzz' from Ann-Patrice McDonough, Yukina Ota, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando. Only 2 out of the 4 made it to Turino, 1 is injured and struggling to make a comeback and 1 has sadly left competitive skating. Kimmie is quite extraordinary in capturing the big win on her first Worlds, but I'm not going to predict any rosy colored future for her yet. Just like consistency is something you can't obtain from hours of practice, so is artistry. Miki Ando should know.

I don't see the point of comparing National titles between Meissner and Cohen without mentioning the number of tries.

We don't read much about Sasha's practices these days. She has become tight lipped about her skating, but that doesn't mean she is not practicing. If she is going to Campbells and there is no reason to think she is not, she will want to be at her best. I don't see new programs and we will be watching R&J again unless they limit the time and she uses Dark Eyes. I believe she will be competitive. Her WOW moves will override her jumping faults

Meissner is obviously working hard and will go to Campbells to win! Apparently she will use the competition to try out her new routines. I think Laurie Nichols will be giving her a flair for that Spanish number and emphasizing presentation.
We'll be seeing all this in about 30 days.

As for winning, one can not overlook Mao and Mai.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
This assessment of what would make Sasha go to Nats may be right. But she would hardly look on it as a "cake walk" after getting creamed by Kimmie at Worlds (after publicly declaring that the field was less than challenging). She knows she doesn't have a triple axel and rarely does 3/3's. She knows she loses competitions in the LP. I think she knows exactly what she's up against and will make decisions and train accordingly.

Kimmie doesn't have a 3 axel either, and her 3-3s aren't always fully rotated. Kimmie is a tough competitor but I wouldn't characterize her Worlds win as "creaming" Sasha. Sasha beat herself. Had Sasha skated clean (or even the performance she skated at the Olympics), she would have won worlds.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Sources are saying Kimmie IS training the 3axle again, landing it pretty consistently by itself and struggling with consistency in her LP. I'd rather see her improve in other aspects of her skating than working hard on the 3axle. She does have good jump technique and if she can rotate those 3/3's, she has an advantage there.

Sasha has always been tight-lipped about her training sessions, never really shares inside info on practices in her journal or press conferences, so we will see how she prepared she shows up for Campbells. Is she touring in Japan? WIth all the extra things she's been doing lately, and it sounds like she is not with Nicks (regularly anyway)...I just don't see how she can be doing working on anything but her exhibition if that is the case.

Mafke

Medalist
During the last 4 years, I got that 'buzz' from Ann-Patrice McDonough, Yukina Ota, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando.

I didn't get it from any of those, I haven't even seen the first two. I almost got it from the first competition I saw Kostner in, but it was gone by the second. As I said, it's often fallible (I got a major buzz from Jenny Kirk, but she never really happened internationally...)

One thing is that there are a lot more things that can go wrong for a young skater than can go right. The big jumps and combos don't appear out of nowhere and neither do presentation skills. They take a lot of training and still might not gel.
Meanwhile, growth spurts, injuries, problems with the mental game and a bunch of other things _can_ seem to come out of nowhere and derail a promising career. And it's not just your classic misfortunes either, I got the same buzz from Hughes the Elder too, but her suprise olympic gold seemed to destroy her motivation for further skating achievement - her first great success was her last.

Let's just say that if Meissner does have a long career with some big wins I won't be surprised at all, pleased, but not surprised.