Michelle Kwan will be in the new Compton encyclopedia | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan will be in the new Compton encyclopedia

E

eltamina

Michelle Kwan will be in the new Compton encyclopedia

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/0305...014_1.html

Other new topics will include West Nile Virus, global warming, East Timor, and the Iraqi city of Basra. Oscar winner Halle Berry and <strong>Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan will be featured</strong>, along with Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, and acclaimed cellist Yo Yo Ma.

M

mathman444

Re: Michelle Kwan will be in the new Compton encyclopedia

I actually have a Compton's Encyclopedia, 1954! I wonder if they will offer a supplement.:lol:

Mathman

E

eltamina

Here is an idea for you Mathman

Since you are a full professor, you are not in the choatic publish or perish cycle so you can write something really fun and from the heart.

You should offer Compton to write a feature article on Michelle Kwan. How her star rises and bring world peace or something. :)

J

Joesitz

Re: Here is an idea for you Mathman

Why not Michelle, in any encyclopedia explaining figure skating. She certainly has run the gamut of every conceibable facet of fs. It's not just a gush of MK but a ncerssity for people looking up the phrase "figure skating". Who better shoud exemplify this?

Joe

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Oscar winner Halle Berry and Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan will be featured, along with Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, and acclaimed cellist Yo Yo Ma.[/quote] That's not shabby company, not shabby at all. Congratulations to Michelle. Well deserved and as Joe said, not from a gush standpoint at all. She has influenced the sport of figure skating in perhaps every discipline except ice dancing (I'd give that one to Torvill and Dean) in terms of her artistry and consistency. Hopefully the Compton's section on her will also mention Frank Carrol and Lori Nichol. Not to take anything away from Michelle, but I do think that at least in terms of shaping Michelle and giving her great material to work with they played an important role up until '02. Of course Michelle is the one who had to do it:D
Rgirl

S

Show 42

I guess you can say that you've arrived, in one way or the other,when you are included in an encyclopedia.....;) 42

L

Ladskater

Not to detract from the Kwan fanatics, but I can think of many other skaters over the years who also have changed figure skating and made great contributions who should grace the pages of an encyclopedia on the topic of figure skating. Michelle is not the only skater on the planet.

Ladskater

P

Piel

True, Michelle is not the only skater to have made contributions to the sport. But she is a contemporary figure who has contributed to and represented the sport well. If you could choose only one skater to be pictured in the encyclopedia to represent figure skating who would it be?

Piel

N

Norlite1

It is an American encyclopedia from an American company. There is no other figure skater today who would be known to the general population in the US as well as Michelle Kwan.