Rochette skates to Jimi Hendrix for her new SP | Golden Skate

Rochette skates to Jimi Hendrix for her new SP

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
And Joannie is a skater who can carry it off. She put together a great program last year to a "singing 70s strings" version of Madonna's "Like A Prayer", and I can see her putting together a great one to this as well. And I can't WAIT to see the costume.... :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Like how candid she is in her entries. Definitely stepping outside of the box on this one and let's see how it works for her...I find it real interesting how she talks in-depth about how she wants to portray the music because when I see her I don't think lyrical, I think strong.

shine

Record Breaker
Personally I find Joannie very lyrical - one of the most lyrical, actually. But she IS at the same time very strong and powerful, just like how her body appears to be. I think she combines power and grace very beautifully. The programs this year definitely sound very interesting. She and her team seem to have put in a lot of thought and effort. I hope they won't be a let-down :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Canadians...... first the bobsled team is "listening" to the Grateful Dead during the events, now this. It's a Maple leaf people!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JUST KIDDING!!!!

:agree: I love it! Little Wing is a timeless piece IMO. I do however agree with a different post that she appears more to be a "strong" skater opposed to "lyrical" (here we go with the "bravada / lyrical" again:laugh: She is a neat girl with powerful beauty (much like Jimmy's style IMO) and I look forward to seeing this.

And I too am very curious about the costume.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Can someone tell me a link where I can hear this music???

Little Wing????
Most "music sites" should give you a taste at least, the problem is which "instrumental version" will she use.

Try Archive, it is free from the artist wishes. iTunes will have it but it will be .99 at least. BTW, I always liked Bob Dylan's version better for some reson.

Also that is a sad song about Jimmy's mom dieing - heavy stuff.

antmanb

Record Breaker
And Joannie is a skater who can carry it off. She put together a great program last year to a "singing 70s strings" version of Madonna's "Like A Prayer", and I can see her putting together a great one to this as well. And I can't WAIT to see the costume.... :biggrin:

I thought that version of Madonna's Like a Prayer was horrendous it sounded like really bad lift music!

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Canadians...... first the bobsled team is "listening" to the Grateful Dead during the events, now this. It's a Maple leaf people!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JUST KIDDING!!!!

:agree: I love it! Little Wing is a timeless piece IMO. I do however agree with a different post that she appears more to be a "strong" skater opposed to "lyrical" (here we go with the "bravada / lyrical" again:laugh: She is a neat girl with powerful beauty (much like Jimmy's style IMO) and I look forward to seeing this.

And I too am very curious about the costume.

Seani,

I totally agree with you... She's never struck me as a lyrical skater... to the point where I wonder why she skates to "pretty little musical pieces." Little Wing will give her a lot to work with and show off that strong skating that she has in spades... plus it will work to seperate her from the baby ballarinas/jumping beans set to take center stage next year... I'm also loving her choice to work with Sandra... Sounds like she's got a great plan in place for the coming season.

Hi, Vintagefigureskater, thanks for joining in and welcome to the forum. I see you have been registered for some time -- hope to see you posting! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought that version of Madonna's Like a Prayer was horrendous it sounded like really bad lift music!

Ant

I agree. I didn't like that program at all, or the FS, which was soppy. I thought both programs did nothing for Joannie, even though she said she felt them. Maybe she did, but it didn't help her performance.

I just hope the Hendrix music isn't also "liftish".

rain

Record Breaker
I hope this works for her. Can't say for sure until I've seen it. My caution is occasioned by observation over the years that when skaters use pop music — particularly instrumental versions of pop songs — it turns into serious cheese. And Joannie's Madonna instrumental from last year is a perfect example. Horrible. Strangely enough, I think a little more rock would be advantageous for her over the elevator version of Like a Prayer. As many have said she is a "strong" skater style-wise, so she may be able to pull it off.

It's interesting to be a fan this year, with Sasha skipping much of the season, and having learned so much about skating in the past 9 months. I am watching all the skaters with an open mind and heart and see much to admire.

Joannie Rochette is one I like very much. I agree with Shine that she is lyrical as well as powerful - she uses her arms beautifully (Kimmie: n.b.) and comes up with music, choreography, and costumes that stand out from the crowd and provide her skating with a beautiful setting. And those triples - wow.

anniemg

Rinkside
I'm with Joannie this year, since Sasha is probably not competing. I really like her skating, her strong edges, her wonderful jumps and the calm and elegant way with which she interpretes the music. She's got it all apart from real consistency in major competitions. I wish she had skated at worlds as she did at the Olympics-wow!! I was one of the few that actually like her lp last year. It was something different, and i like piano music. But I prefered her other programs. I'm really looking forward to seeing this years programs! Go Joannie!