Junior Grand Prix | Golden Skate

Junior Grand Prix

Is anyone else getting excited about how this series is shaping up?

With a changing of the guard in senior ladies' singles, I am finding myself looking more and more to the future. Especially if you are a USA figure skating fan, there is a lot to cheer about as the halfway event commenses in Romania this weekend.

Although there are many skaters yet to come, so far US men, ladies and pairs (!) are leading the way. In men's, Kanallakan and Carriere are #1 an #2 so far, with Oi and Mroz also (perhaps temporarily) in the top six.

USA has four ladies who are off to a good start and could make the finals, Zhang, Wagner, Cannarozzo and Hyatt (and this doesn't even count Rachael Flatt, who had to withdraw from the Mexico City event and probably will not get two more assignments).

In pairs, McLaughlin/Brubaker and Pflumm/Pottenger are in first and second places so far.

Kimmie, Mao, Yu-na and Elena G. may dominate the scene for the next couple of years, but they will have to keep one eye looking over their shoulders in 2010.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
By the way, Mathman, speaking of Elena G - I saw a news story today that there are Russian troops starting to move into parts of Georgia and the prez of Ga. is quite upset about it - Could this be the expected "Elena G. Raid" to "kidnap" her and "adopt" her as a skater to represent Russia? :biggrin:

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

By the way, Mathman, speaking of Elena G - I saw a news story today that there are Russian troops starting to move into parts of Georgia and the prez of Ga. is quite upset about it - Could this be the expected "Elena G. Raid" to "kidnap" her and "adopt" her as a skater to represent Russia? :biggrin:

Oh please: she has already been kidnapped. Her coaches, Tarasova and Buyanova, whisked her away to Moscow for training ;-). She may represent Georgia, but her coaches and her training location are in Russia.

My apologies, I just read that Tarasova doesn't train Elene, but only offers her consultation. She did accompany Elene to the 2006 Euros, but only as a temporary replacement for coach Buyanova, that couldn't make it at the time

Last edited:

bostonskater

Rinkside
Is anyone else getting excited about how this series is shaping up?...

Although there are many skaters yet to come, so far US men, ladies and pairs (!) are leading the way. ...

It's not so surprising how good the US junior pairs are - they've been quite dominant for the past two years. At Junior Worlds last year, US pairs came first, second and fourth. I hope it means that USFS is becoming more supportive of the pairs program, and it bodes well for the future.

Nigel

On the Ice
It is a shame that USFS did not give Flatt time enough to recover to perhaps go to the last 2 JGP events, but perhaps the recovery time will allow her to make a statement at US Nationals, and get assignmed to Jr Worlds.

We have been surprised at the overall strength/depth of the men's JGP events (not just the US skaters) where the ladies fields have been less than stellar in terms of depth. Where have the developing ladies from some of the other countries gone...like Korea, Japan, Russia? Have they just not skated yet? Who else is out there?

Pairs...US teams look to be extremely strong this year, particularly Brubaker and McLaughlin (if she stays injury free).

Dance....lots of possiblities here.......