New Johnny Weir Journal and Q and A September, 2006 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Journal and Q and A September, 2006

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't know when and how someone "established" that, by I didn't get the memo. He did say in a direst quote that someone called his house an said that they hope his plane crashed. Once again, I can't think of anyone keeping an open mind about that.

While you are correct about those specific cases (i.e., death wishes and death threats), I do think Johnny still is not all that open-minded about those who deal with things differently than he does. For example, I didn't think too much of his crack about PETA; and while what Mr. Ludington did was not (IMO) professional, it also should not be put in the same league as a death threat -- but Johnny didn't sound all that tolerant of him either.

Dee said:
...and then sat on a bus for three hours to Kansas City.
Hey, Dee, you will be happy to know that Johnny's bus averaged 55.7 miles per hour on that trip. :)

psycho

On the Ice
While you are correct about those specific cases (i.e., death wishes and death threats), I do think Johnny still is not all that open-minded about those who deal with things differently than he does. For example, I didn't think too much of his crack about PETA; and while what Mr. Ludington did was not (IMO) professional, it also should not be put in the same league as a death threat -- but Johnny didn't sound all that tolerant of him either.

Once again, he said he had nothing against PETA trying to protect animals (this is a difference of opinion). He had a problem with them harrassing him (classic PETA btw). That is not an opinion. And what Mr. Ludington did is called bullying, not a difference of opinion too. And bullying should never be tolerated.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I skated a show in Omaha, Nebraska of all places
........and we even sang Happy Birthday to him in Omaha......of all places.

Dee

boggartlaura

On the Ice
I have to respectfully disagree. I hope he keeps talking, and giving the 'Johnny Viewpoint' for many years to come.The interest in this sport has declined dramatically in the US, although thankfully it is suddenly growing overseas in Russia and Japan. Johnny has helped to bring the sport 'to the masses' once again.

Johnny transcends the sport, and right now, he is the only US male figure skater to really do so. I see it all the time. Sit next to someone on an airplane, and they know who Johnny Weir is. Go to a high school hockey game, and even hockey dads know who Johnny Weir is.

Johnny really isn't nearly that recognizable. I saw him for about 45 minutes at a relatively crowded train station and not a single person recognized him.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny really isn't nearly that recognizable. I saw him for about 45 minutes at a relatively crowded train station and not a single person recognized him.

How do you know that? Lots of people don´t stare or gape if they happen to notice somebody who could be called a celebrity.

Zanzibar

Final Flight

I would agree he may not be instantly recognizable because people aren't expecting to see him - and they associate seeing him with being on the ice, on TV, etc. But just again tonight - only a few hours ago I picked someone up at the airport. This person told me on the drive to my home that they were just in Oregon at a friend's home, and the 13-year old daughter had Johnny Weir photos all over her room. A small example, but I can tell you that in my regular life nobody ever knew who the Russian olympic champions were, but many people know of Johnny.

Compared to even the fame Alexei Yagudin had in this country, Johnny has way eclipsed that with the average person. People know his name.

I have to agree with Zanzibar. I don't know Johnny personally, but I bet it would be a hoot to spend time with him.

Figure skating is a personality-driven sport. For popular team sports like football or basketball we don't care much about the personalities of the individuals (OK, maybe we would prefer that they get off drugs and stop beating up their girl friends -- but whatever), we just like to root for the home team. (Go Tigers!)

In contrast, I think that most enthusiastic fans of figure skating are especially fans of their particular favorites. (Go Bebe, currently leading after the SP at Nebelhorn! http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13784&page=2 ).

Johnny Weir is just what the doctor ordered. He seems to have character as well as charm, and if he can keep the buzz going for the sport, more power to him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He had a problem with them harrassing him (classic PETA btw).

he could take the high road and ignore them completely

which is what most of us against PETA's actions do... he's just asking for more of a fight... granted I loved what he said, but at the same time if he wants them to stop he shouldn't fuel the fire with words...

Kasey

Medalist
he could take the high road and ignore them completely

which is what most of us against PETA's actions do... he's just asking for more of a fight... granted I loved what he said, but at the same time if he wants them to stop he shouldn't fuel the fire with words...

Um, "most of us against PETA's actions" have absolutely NO spotlight or public forum TO respond to them....Johnny does. Something tells me that PETA can take it. Good for Johnny for making sense.