Yan Liu - the new Lu Chen? | Golden Skate

Yan Liu - the new Lu Chen?

Taan

On the Ice
:yes: love this skater do you have an opinion on her or do you think she is just meh? i think she has an elegance and refinement , it is in just the potential stage right now, but it is there. Is she the new Lu Chen? yes i do think so! :yes:

hongligl

Final Flight
I love her too. But she is too old to be another Lu Chen. No chance to be on top, but I do expect her to win some medal in the GP event.

Skye

On the Ice
Well, she doesn't have seem to have a genuine smile like Lu Chen's, and from what I've seen on TV she is quite fragile and lovely but a bit unpolished and slow at the same time. But all in all, I'm expecting her to do very well in the GP this season. Her two assignments (Cup of China & Cup of Russia) definitely have weaker fields, so I believe it is her chance to win - or lose.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I adore her. She said that Lu Chen is her idol. However, so far, her programs have been very similar, while Lu Chen could jazz it up. Yan Liu would have to be more versatile before she reached Lu Chen's level, in my opinion. But she has the jumping ability and basic skills to get there.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Is this the skater that collapsed/fainted on the ice last year out of sheer exhaustion? I really liked her, not sure if she's Lu Chen -like, but she does have a wonderful quality about her. :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Yes, but it was a combination of illness and exhaustion as she had one of the hell trips from Skate Canada to Cup of China. A number of skaters were hurt by the draconian flight arrangements and delays.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I like Yan Liu, but to it's borderline blasphemy to suggest she is the new Lu Chen. ;) Chen had an innate fluidity and musicality that Liu doesn't have.

I love Lu Chen, but Yan Liu IS musical and fluid...

What has held her back over the years? On a first impression, she seems to have style and technique as much or more than quite a few higher-placing skaters.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I didn't mean that she wasn't fluid and musical--I just find Lu Chen more so.

I think what has held her back is that she can appear slow (don't know what her speed is live, but on tv she looks kind of slow). She doesn't project to the audience much.

She has consistency going for her. She must have landed more seven-triple programs than any lady had last season. :clap:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
She did seem to be undermarked in the Short Program at the Olympics...I would have placed her several spots higher. I can't find her long program on YouTube, though. :frown:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
When I saw her (for the first time) at the Olys, I, too, was thinking "shades of Chen Lu". It's not surprising, really; I imagine she is a big inspiration to the young ladies coming up there.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I love Lu Chen, but Yan Liu IS musical and fluid...

What has held her back over the years? On a first impression, she seems to have style and technique as much or more than quite a few higher-placing skaters.

I think she was just short of the top 10 in the SP at either the olympics or worlds last season and while she hit her elements i thought that there wasn't much connection to the music or much going on choreographically. I can't remember her LP but i thought she seemed like a good top 10 skater but not necessairly a medal contender.

Ant

Hmm, she seemed very musical to me but I didn't really notice the choreography and I'm not yet COP-knowledgeable enough to notice all the little things that add up to big points. I will keep those observations in mind next time I get to see her.

gio

Medalist
I like Yan Liu, but the great Lu Chen is the great Lu Chen. Do you remember the Last Emperor programin 1995? What a program!!!!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Hmm, she seemed very musical to me but I didn't really notice the choreography and I'm not yet COP-knowledgeable enough to notice all the little things that add up to big points. I will keep those observations in mind next time I get to see her.

To be honest i wasn't really talking from a COP perspective. Lokoing back at her Olympic SP on youtube - its a good program but i didn't see anything in it that made me take note. It was quite empty of choreography and seemed to be cross overs into the 8 required elements. I suspect taht's why she was just short of the tope ten because most of the skaters above her had more going on in their programs than just the elements. I didn't see the musicality in her SP. Perhaps the long was better but i haven't ahd the chance to review that.

Ant