Yan Liu - the new Lu Chen? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yan Liu - the new Lu Chen?

Not to get fanatical or anything but I too just re-watched and I can't understand how anyone could NOT consider this girl musical.

I think I'm getting a touch of Sashitis. Exquisite! Wuzrobbed! etc. (and I'm not really kidding). And thanks to Taan for bringing her to my attention.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Not to get fanatical or anything but I too just re-watched and I can't understand how anyone could NOT consider this girl musical.

I think I'm getting a touch of Sashitis. Exquisite! Wuzrobbed! etc. (and I'm not really kidding). And thanks to Taan for bringing her to my attention.

I just wrote a long post and then my cmoputer crased...grrrr.

So 'll try and summarise it.

I think i'd started by saying tha ti guess we'll have to agree to disagree because i really don't think she's particularly musical. Looking at her SP from the Olympics - one of the (i think good) tests for musicality is - can you watch the program without the sound on and do themovements, does the skating convey the music, tell the story of the music despite it not being on? Watching her program with the music on my interst was piqued at the Olympics ( i think she was correctly placed (possibly could have been maybe one place higher). Watching without eh sound on i noticed that her face didn't convey much emotion, the program was pretty empty choreographically, i didn't get a snese of the music from her movements or her skating. Her elements, while completed, where not solid and well finished and what little arm and body movements she had seemed a little stilted and wooden. She did have great lines though but their wasn't much use of her body in the non element movements.

That's why i think she's not that musical - she shows promise but isn't that musical a skater, in my opinion of course. Contrast this with Lu Chen (who someone else compared her to and watch any of her programs with teh sound off and she really conveys every last note to you. Yuka Sato's performances are the same...and of course Kwan...i am a bit of biased fan in this regard but both of her programs from the 1995/96 season really come across well with the sound off.

But like i said - just my personal opinion. Other's are likely to vary!

Ant

northfacelu

Spectator
Yan Liu is really a good skater

She is a good skater, maybe she is not as good as Lu Chen. I agree Chen Lu is a genius while Liu Yan is a hard-working skater.

In China, the current situation is that more attetion is paid to the pairs. For ladies, less people are interested in. Liu Yan is the only lady to attend 2006 Olympics and 2006 world Champ, so she is the only female skater train on ice before the competition.

The head coach Yao Bin said thate Liu Yan made great progress in the past two years. And she did it without much help from others. :cool:

i still believe she is good, she has her own style. That is enough.

Thanks for joining us, Northface Lu, and welcome to the forum.

I love your username! Are you a mountain climber? :)

emma

Record Breaker
coach

Just a quick question: who coaches Yan Liu? This maybe off topic, but I remember reading a few years ago that Lulu was involved in some project to build a rink in southern China....did that ever happen? Does Lulu do any coaching? I miss her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I like Yan Liu, but the great Lu Chen is the great Lu Chen. Do you remember the Last Emperor programin 1995? What a program!!!!
And the 1996 worlds. She looked much more alive with her music than Yan Liu.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Just a quick question: who coaches Yan Liu? This maybe off topic, but I remember reading a few years ago that Lulu was involved in some project to build a rink in southern China....did that ever happen? Does Lulu do any coaching? I miss her.
Yes. She did. And read in another board she just got a baby. I don't think Lulu will coach Yan Liu. The rink in Southern China (I believe it is in ShenZheng) basically concentrate on develop young skaters. Given time I believe china's lady programs will grown strong and fast.

Before the ice skating only popular in north part of china, because the pond frozen up there during winter that ppl can skate on the pond (Don't think they even have in door rink back then, may be just one or two in whole country). I grown up in Shanghai the bigest city in China, but I never saw a pair of skates in my whole life there. Only know FIGURE SKATING when some of Peggy's show skating aired on TV in early 80s. Started love it right way.

Historically, in general ppl live in North china tend to have big body build, ppl live in south china tend to have small body build.

Thats why you see most top skaters from china are from the northern part (because weather there natually support the sport); while most top gymnastics from china are from the south part.....now with year long indoor rinks in southern china, the figure skating can be popular in southern part of china. They can use the same strategy develop the figure skating programs like other sports where strenghth is not the core demand but the delicate skill and, percision is the core demand. Such as gymnastics, diving, etc.

northfacelu

Spectator
Mathman,thank you!

I love my name too, I have some northface equipments. I had a close contact with Mount. Everest and some climers.

And I love figure skating as well.:)

Mathman,thank you!

I love my name too, I have some northface equipments. I had a close contact with Mount. Everest and some climers.

And I love figure skating as well.:)
Wow, I saw Everest from a distance. I was at the foot of K2 in Kashmir (Pakistan side) and a bunch of Italian tourists happen to be there. We all had breakfast. Since the first man to climb K2 was Italian, the Italians consider it their mountain.

Joe

northfacelu

Spectator
now with year long indoor rinks in southern china, the figure skating can be popular in southern part of china. They can use the same strategy develop the figure skating programs like other sports where strenghth is not the core demand but the delicate skill and, percision is the core demand. Such as gymnastics, diving, etc.

figure skating can't compare with gymnastics or diving. What figure skating needs is not only skill and percision.

I believe that Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao would not get olympic gold in Turino even if they successfully had finished the quad. That means percision and technique are not the decisive factors in figure skating.

Now, for Liu Yan and other Chinese figure skaters, the main problem is not skill or percision, is understanding the music, expressing the music. They need more dance training, ballet training, and music training. I don't think figure skating in China will be as good as gymnastics and diving, even in several years later.

That's only my opion, hehe!