What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals? | Golden Skate

What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
3 of the 9 U.S. Regional Championships are this week and the qualifying skaters will advance to the Pacific Coast Sectional (Nov. 14-18 near Seattle). Links to USFS' event pages with results so far...

Southwest Pacific Regional (Oct. 5-8, Culver City, CA):
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=31197

Central Pacific Regional (Oct. 5-7, Oakland, CA):
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=34877

Northwest Pacific Regional (Oct. 5-7, Spokane, Washington):
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=31195

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
one of the kids from Alaska made it to the Pacific? I'm not sure if I'm completely correct, but it's good to see Alaska make something...

I'm still cheering on Ashley Wagner even if she did switch rinks :(

Thanks guys for the information.

I think Ashley Wagner has a bye to the Nats already. Not sure though. Do the featured skaters in the latest USFS MediaGuide all have byes?

I'm thinking about Rohene Ward. He will have to skate in a Sectional to qualify. Am I correct?

Does Adam Rippon have to skate a Sectional to qualify for Junior Boys?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
one of the kids from Alaska made it to the Pacific? I'm not sure if I'm completely correct, but it's good to see Alaska make something...
None of the NWP events are over yet, but Keegan Messing and William Nottingham (elected not to compete at Regionals?) are 2 Novice guys from Alaska who will qualify for Sectionals.

I think Ashley Wagner has a bye to the Nats already. Not sure though.
Wagner (who has switched from the NWP region) is currently scheduled to compete in Junior Ladies at South Atlantic Regionals. She will receive a bye through Eastern Sectionals to Nationals only if she qualifies for the JGP Final.

Do the featured skaters in the latest USFS MediaGuide all have byes?
No. The top 5 seniors from 2006 Nationals receive automatic byes to 2007 Nationals (of those who registered to compete this season). They are:
Ladies - Cohen, Meissner, Hughes, Taylor, Liang;
Men - Weir, Lysacek, Smith;
Pairs - Inoue/Baldwin, Nam/Leftheris;
Dance - Belbin/Agosto, Gregory/Petukhov, Matthews/Zavozin, Navarro/Bommentre.

I'll summarize the skaters with byes through Regionals and/or Sectionals in a separate post.

I'm thinking about Rohene Ward. He will have to skate in a Sectional to qualify. Am I correct?
Ward has elected to compete first at Upper Great Lakes Regionals (Oct. 17-21, Richfield, Minnesota) even though there are 4 or fewer senior men and then he will compete at Midwestern Sectionals.

Does Adam Rippon have to skate a Sectional to qualify for Junior Boys?
Yes, Rippon will first compete at South Atlantic Regionals and should qualify for Eastern Sectionals.

From USFS:

2006-2007 U.S. FIGURE SKATING QUALIFYING EVENT SCHEDULE

EVENT, DATES, PLACE

REGIONALS
Central Pacific Regional, Oct. 2-7, Oakland, Calif.
Northwest Pacific Regional, Oct. 4-8, Spokane, Wash.
Southwest Pacific Regional, Oct. 4-8, Culver City, Calif.

North Atlantic Regional, Oct. 9-15, Jamestown, N.Y.
Eastern Great Lakes Regional, Oct. 11-14, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Southwestern Regional, Oct. 11-14, Arvada, Colo.

New England Regional, Oct. 16-21, Marlborough, Mass.
South Atlantic Regional, Oct. 16-21, Aston, Pa.
Upper Great Lakes Regional, Oct. 17-21, Richfield, Minn.

SECTIONALS
Pacific Coast Sectional, Nov. 14-18, Mountlake Terrace, Wash.
Eastern Sectional, Nov. 15-18, Alpharetta, Ga.
Midwestern Sectional, Nov. 16-18, Birmingham, Ala.

U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS
U.S. Junior Championships, Nov. 28-Dec. 2, Strongsville, Ohio
State Farm U.S. Championships, Jan. 21-28, 2007, Spokane, Wash.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight

I'm still cheering on Ashley Wagner even if she did switch rinks :(

I suspect its Keegan Messing. I beleive he skated well in Novice Men at Regionals.

I'm not sure that Ashley Wagner is competign in NWP regionals...She changed to WFC wich is in Mid-Atlantics. I could be wrong though....

I can't remember what Sr. Ladies from Alaska are still skating, but Christina Gordon from Fairbanks has made it to Nationals before and I think that there may be 2-4 other Sr. Ladies back home.

Back when I was skating Novice and above in AK, there were only two other girls who were in the same testing level and one stopped competing. Once I moved up to Jr. I had to go outside the state to compete - made it very difficult and $$$$

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
How does US system work?

How does the US system work? You go to regionals and you have the qualifing round. How many of these skaters go to the final round? Then how many in the final round go on to Sectionals? Does only the first place winner in Sectionals go on to Nationals?

gkelly

Record Breaker
How does the US system work? You go to regionals and you have the qualifing round. How many of these skaters go to the final round?

The basic principle is that there will never be more than 18 skaters in the same group. So the maximum for the final round is 18 (could be less, depending how many qualifying groups there are, because the number in the final round will have to be divisible by the number of qualifying groups so that the same number can advance from each group).The number of groups depends on the number of skaters registered.

If there are enough, as is sometimes the case for juvenile and intermediate ladies in large regions, then they have to do two cuts. There's a middle round in two groups in which the intermediates do their SPs and the top skaters from each group move on the the final round for LPs; juveniles only have one program so in these large regions they may have to perform the same program three times if they reach the final round.

Then how many in the final round go on to Sectionals? Does only the first place winner in Sectionals go on to Nationals?

The standard has been that top 4 advance from regionals to sectionals (novice and above) or Junior Nationals (juvenile and intermediate), and top 4 from sectionals to Nationals.

As of last year, there has been a proportional representation rule so that larger regions get to send more than 4 skaters to Junior Nationals.

And for events other than ladies singles, in which there may not always be 4 entries within a region, there's a "fill-up rule" that takes skaters from other regions in the sections to fill up the sectional competition, that sometimes has applied to Nationals as well.

If there are 4 or fewer skaters/teams registered for the event, they have the option whether to compete or simply to advance to the next competition.

I haven't memorized the current rules exactly and my rulebook is at home. But basically the answer is that if there are at least 4 skaters/teams registered to compete within the region or section, then 4 will advance, and in certain situations more than 4.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when I said rinks I meant regions... I'm not really familiar with how it all works...

I've seen Keegan skate and I'm not sure if he's the one my aunt mentioned... apparently it was in the newspaper or something (like I have time to read that stuff lol ;))
I want to say it was a girl.... but then again I wasn't the one who read the blurb...

Thanks Sylvia and gkelly. All this sounds like 'ifs and only ifs'. I'll savor all this and watch closely for results.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks Sylvia for the links. Do you know if there is any board disscusion about regionals?

dwiggin3

Final Flight
when I said rinks I meant regions... I'm not really familiar with how it all works...

I've seen Keegan skate and I'm not sure if he's the one my aunt mentioned... apparently it was in the newspaper or something (like I have time to read that stuff lol ;))
I want to say it was a girl.... but then again I wasn't the one who read the blurb...[/QUOTE

Crystal Williams is who it is...I think. I use to skate with her years ago (like back in grade school when we were in Prelim and sub Juv.). I'm not sure what her artistry is like but she and her sister use to skate. I noticed that she was very musical early on.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Crystal Williams finished 2nd in Senior Ladies at NWP Regionals. :) I'm not familiar with her name and have never seen her skate, so thanks for that tidbit about her, dwiggin3.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
These 3 Regionals take place this week -- Oct. 11-14.

Eastern Great Lakes (EGL) Regional Championships, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Link to USFS' event page
Link to host club's site with schedule & roster/groups

BYE (skater does not have to compete here): Andrea Best (junior/Liberec JGP in pairs)

Notable Skaters competing (just a sampling):
SR: Alissa Czisny, Wesley Campbell
JR: Jonathan Cassar, William Brewster, Grant Hochstein
NOV: Daniel Palmeri

Southwestern (SW) Regional Championships, Arvada, Colorado
Link to USFS' event page (starting orders/eventual results)
Link to host club's site with schedule

BYES (skaters don't have to compete here): Erica Archambault & Jeremy Abbott (senior/Finlandia Trophy), Parker Pennington (senior/for winning Mids last year); Brandon Mroz & Kaela Pflumm (junior/Taipei JGP).

Notable Skaters (just a sampling):
SR: Rachael Flatt; Ryan Bradley & Braden Overett [assuming they have elected to compete here?]
JR: Austin Kanallakan [if there is a Jr. men's event?]
NOV: Roger Corvasce, Angela Maxwell

North Atlantic (NA) Regional Championships, Jamestown, NY
Link to USFS' event page (starting orders/eventual results)

BYE (skater does not have to compete here): Stephanie Roth (senior/for winning Easterns last year) and Jordan Miller (elected not to compete if there are 4 or fewer NA senior men)

SR: Katrina Hacker, Taylor Firth, Adriana DeSanctis; David Weintraub
JR: Daniel Raad, Jane Ruan
NOV: Kevin Sun, Vincent Ip, Ksenia Makarova

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The last 3 Regionals take place October 18-21.

New England (NE) Regional Championships, Marlborough, Mass.
Link to USFS' event page

SR: Juliana Cannarozzo, Jessica Houston, Kylie Gleason, Michelle Boulos; Stephen Carriere and Jason Wong [if they have elected to compete here?]
JR: Curran Oi, Colin Pennington; Brittney Rizo, Michaelee Scarincio [I believe she's switched from NA to NE?]
NOV: Ross Miner

South Atlantic (SA) Regional Championships, Aston, PA
Link to USFS' event page

BYES (do not have to compete here): Melissa Bulanhagui & Tommy Steenberg (senior/Liberec JGP), Blake Rosenthal (junior/Taipei JGP)

Notable Skaters:
SR: Christine Zukowski, Megan Williams-Stewart, Jane Bugaeva; Derrick Delmore, Shaun Rogers, Craig Ratterree, Traighe Rouse
JR: Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon
NOV: Kristine Musademba & a deep field of ladies; Scott Dyer, Armin
Mahbanoozadeh, Zachary DeWulf, Alexander Aiken & more (deep field as well)

Upper Great Lakes (UGL) Regional Championships, Richfield, Minnesota
Link to USFS' event page
Link to host club's site with
schedule

BYE: Megan Oster (senior/Liberec JGP)

Notable Skaters:
SR: Megan Hyatt, Molly Oberstar, Angie Lien; Rohene Ward, Michael Peters
JR: Eliot Halverson, Osadolo Irowa; Rhiana Brammeier, Kirsten Olson, Christina-Maria Sperduto, Debbie Knubley, Elyse Oskvarek, Mary Catherine Beck, Taylor Kulpa & more
NOV: Alexander Johnson; Kate Charbonneau, Kayla Howey, Alexa Scimeca, Caroline Ferris & more

Lots of information here, Sylvia. Can you clue me in on a few things?

Skaters who elect to skate in a competition are there mainly for a run though of their 2007 routines. Even a skater like Alyssa, if she skates, will have to place in the top 4 to go to the Sectionals. Risky isn't it?

The skaters who have a bye and do not wish to skate will still be eligible for Sectionals. I'm thinking of Megan Oster

I note Adam Rippon will skate in South Atlantic. I'm looking forward to a great skater through Nats and Jr Worlds.

Joe