World Champions in singles this year? | Golden Skate

World Champions in singles this year?

Singles World Champions for 2007?

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Earlier I did a poll on who the World Champions would be, but it was poorly done since I had to join people together to fit it in which made no sense. So who do you think the singles World Champions will be? I limited to the people who made the most sense I believed. Vote for one man and one women.

I included Weir over Buttle, despite their competitive records at Worlds/Olympics the last couple years, because what I hear about Buttle's summer is not promising. I exclude Takahashi as one of the top mens choices since he seems destined to be a big underachiever, and I just Oda as more of a threat right now.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Amazed to see 3 of the first 4 voters(3 of 3 excluding myself)vote "other" for the womens singles champion.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I voted Joubert. Personally i prefer his skating to Lambiel (though only generally their competitive programs) and i think that Joubert's big albatross has been Pluschenko and without him around i think Joubert's confidence will increase he'll not be worrying so much about his rivalry with Plushcenko and will skate up a storm. I'd love to vote for Weir but i just don't think he'll get the clean full jumping pass program done.

For the ladies i'm thinking that the young guns that have all the limelight will have too much pressure and they will crumble under it. Mao already showed at last year's junior worlds that sometimes the expected winner can fall short. I think Meissner has a good chance of repeating as world champion but i just have a feeling that the kids will falter and a lady with more experience at the big events will skate to the top...i'd love it to be Rochette but i expect it more likely to be a skater like Fumie who has plugged away time and again...and what a swan song it would be to pull out the home voctory gold and retire...

Ant

I think it is wrong to count Sasha out. Her record is too good and it ain't over till she hangs up her skates. So, I voted other ladies and forgot to vote for men. I'm torn between Johnny and Oda so it would have been a tough choice.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As far as the ladies go -- Yu Na has "the lucky letter" in her name, and (at least to the best of my knowledge), Mao Asada does not.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Lucky letter??? "n"? Then it's gonna be Sasha for sure!

IMO, the only way it will be Sasha is if she changes the spelling of her surname to "Kohen". Since 1991, only one lady (Chen Lu) won gold without having the letter "k" someplace in her name. I counted them out:

1991 -- Kristi Yamaguchi -- also 1992

1993 -- Oksana Baiul

1994 -- Yuka Sato

1995 -- Chen Lu -- the exception that proves the rule (?)

1996 -- Michelle Kwan -- also 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2003

1997 -- Tara :Lipinski

1999 -- Maria Butyrskaya

2002 -- Irina Slutskaya -- also 2005

2004 -- Shizuka Arakawa

2006 -- Kimmie Meissner

It's looking very good for Yu Na, Miki, Yukari, and Aki (hey - Japanese ladies have an edge), and bodes well for a Yukina comeback.

But there is that alternative line of skaters with the common letters C - H - E - N and Sasha will come whizzing in on that line... without changing her name!
:rofl:

Focusing just on the E - N opens the door to Elene G, which my crystal ball tells me is the correct analysis.

I'm sure Mathman or TheatreGirl could express these probabilities to a high degree of accuracy.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think it is wrong to count Sasha out. Her record is too good and it ain't over till she hangs up her skates. So, I voted other ladies and forgot to vote for men. I'm torn between Johnny and Oda so it would have been a tough choice.

I'm confused i thought Sasha had said that she was taking this season off?

Ant

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
For the ladies: I haven't seen Yu Na or Mao skate so I went w/ Kimmie. I think she'll hold her title at least for a year just out of pure determination b/c I'm sure she's heard how many ppl think it was a fluke that she ever won it.

For the men: I gotta go w/ Johnny b/c I love him, I wanna elope to Canada and marry him, and then adopt Russian babies w/ him. There is nothing scientific, logical, or practical to it- I just love him and I'm a very optimistic person.:love: Ok Ok I'll be serious...Lambiel's health imo isn't gonna make it through the season, Oda is all hype imo, and Joubert has the tackiest, cheesiest, most god awful goddy programs in history and I'm *hoping and praying* that judges will start to insist on there actually being some grace and beauty to the sport in the men's field. However, Evan I think is def. a possibility.

ok, forget what I said Joubert will win; even though I HATE his programs!:scowl:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hate Joubert skating honestly and find him overscored grossly but alot if it personal preference in the things I dont like about his skating I guess. Most of the objective things he does very well at, when he isnt screwing up that is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's still up in the air with ladies, but I gave Stephane my vote for the men...

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I gave Stephane my vote. He's pushing it in every area of his skating, to be well rounded. And his artistry always catches my attention. If this were gymnastics, I think he just might the get all-around championship. :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am worried about Stephane's health for this year. He seems to be even more injury-prone this summer then usual, which is pretty extreme. If he stays reasonably healthy I think he has a very good chance, but if he does not it will be very hard.

I hate to think it since he is my favorite male skater and I would love to see him be able to run with this opportunity he has now to lead mens skating into the next quadrennial and make his run at the gold in 2010; but the way his body has been breaking down starting at such a young age, makes me think he could well just leave and go to school at some point in the next few years. If he does he has already accomplished more then many extremely good skaters have or will with his 2 World titles and Olympic silver, and to do all that with all the injury problems he has endured is incredable.

Last edited:
I used to think so, but not after seeing his TEB short program! (Haven't seen the LP yet.)

It's looking like Miki should be on this list, isn't it!