How do you promote Ice Skating. | Golden Skate

How do you promote Ice Skating.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I often feel I am defending Ice skating. And if I have to point out to one more person Elvis is the silver medal champ of Martial Arts and a avid Motocrosser I am going to get sick. And also, just because you might be gay, that does not mean that you are not macho - lots of gay guys are macho. I guess people are more comfortable with ladies skating, well I think they look better but as a sport this is way more then any observer ever seems to understand.

As I start explaining or take them to the rink they star to understand, but I don't see how they miss it in the first place. It is on Ice, come on! Are you not understanding that this is an element of movement complication that is having athletes performing moves you can't even come close to doing without the ice and a 2+ inch rise on a thin metal blade that you have not spent your whole life learning to walk on. How can anyone think for a moment that this is not only incredibly foreign to a persons natural physical generality at the same time as they are doing .....eesh. Can I explain it? NO. I guess that is why I ask.

What are the comments that "allow" people to understand this is beyond doing tricks that are performed on the same feet and circumstances that you grew up on? Doing a backflip or spinning on a blade is much more of a "oddity" to anybody's "body" then on the same feet you learned to walk on, period.

Anyhoo, is there anyone with a good comment that has a tendency to stop people in the tracks when they try to patronize Figure skating. I have found the "you try it" comment to be mundane and more insulting then anything, but something like the physics behind ice and why it is "slippery" - to be thought provoking and constructive.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

I feel if they "could" understand they would have more respect. And due to the fact I am all about NOT being pretentious, this hopefully will bring people closer to the undersanding of a 100% uniquely amazing AND inspiring sport.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't waste my time anymore. I don't feel I need to defend my likes anymore than an avid football fan does. I hang with a lot of the 'macho guy' crowd, and they're okay with it. As long as they know they can't get under my skin by making fun of the sport they don't have a lot of negative things to say.

As for promoting, I talk about it online, but really save for talking about skaters I've met/know I don't go out of my way to get people to watch.

JOHIO2

Medalist
In Monday's Crankshaft comic, he's watching PBS and they're showing a doo wop show. The announcer says, "If you're sick and tired of watching nothing but doo wop here on PBS--Then be sure to phone in your contribution and make the doo wop stop."

Seriously, I kid you not, one of the local PBS stations is showing an old Stars on Ice special and offering SOI tickets as the member reward. Okay, so Scot Hamilton loves Cleveland and the Cleveland Clinic. Maybe that explains it. But is it helping fs? or will Crankshaft's jibe be fs shows next year?

http://www.ch4549.org/

Sorry, they took down the big ad for SOI, but check back soon, as they have announced a repeat next weekend!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have never experienced that problem. Here in Canada, Figure Skating is taken quite seriously by a lot of folks. There is no shortage of fans. I always run into someone who has figure skated at one time or just loves to watch. The only guys we have to compete with are the hockey nuts and we have them in spades.

Most Canadians love skating and participate quite regularly at their local rink or outdoors. It was great when I lived in Prince George. One could go to the rink or find a pond or outdoor rink to skate on. There is no shortage of ice in Prince George.

Figure Skating and skating in general promotes itself here in Canada. There are not many kids here who don't learn to skate.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Generally i would say - give it up, people are stubborn about there opinions on what is sport and if its hard. They will never change their minds unless they actually try it out for the temselves.

If you still want to make a point try and ask them to hold simple spin positions for 5-10 seconds. Just for a bit of fun getting them to see how things might be difficult , just getting someone to hold the open position that you hit while trying to center a front or backspin with the free leg nice and high, toe pointed, hip up, shoulders down and keeping their balance and getting through that burn in the leg will show on a basic level how they couldn't manage. Equally, and even harder - getting someone to hit and hold either a camel or sit position for 5-10 seconds usually shows that much practice would be required. Then pointout that they're not even spinning, on a slippery surface with ice skates stuck to thei feet.

Trouble with the spin positions is that they can be seen as pretty "girly" still so the other thing i've made some friends try is simply to jump off two feet into the air and rotate and see how far they can go...don't even complicate it by asking them to land or jump off just one foot, two feet for both...i'd be amazed if someone on their first go can even get a full revolution balanced let alone two, three or four. And again point out that in reality you have to jump and land off one foot (mostly!) and on ice, on a skate blade etc etc

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Responses I received from friends not on this forum.

1.".. Funny thing you should mention this. I recently in the past month faced a brief encounter with some local goons of the ice rink of a similar situation. First I must point out that I play hockey part time so to speak..( A bar league). I also figure skate or ice dance...
Anyhow! this a** came up to me and called me a f*g.......
Sure I play the same manly sport as him "Hockey". But seriously! what's so hard about skating in a straight line back and forth slapping a puck around. Requires very little to no talent at all. The challenging part of hockey is the score.......
Now lets talk figure skating. Sure lots of circles and jumps and what's so hard about this... Everything! I don't know, maybe landing on your feet.. I would love to see the NHL or Olympic committee make a new rule that all hockey players must complete at least one triple axel in every game or they are disqualified. Lets see if the figure skating haters can relate to that.......
Promoting Ice Skating in this day and age with all the gay bashing going around is very complicated. It's like gays in the military, same difference.

Anyhow, I didn't argue too much with this guy G*****, which I had also told him that he should be asking his mom why he was named after a girl. I also told him that maybe I look gay out here now, but tonight I go home with the ladies. Either way I win...:)
"

2."It's simply an art. You either like it or you don't. ........
Leave the others alone to enjoy the "other" things they prefer. To each their own.
"

3."Nicely said, however, it's not just art; it's a sport. ..........
We can show others how it is more than woman and men dancing prancing and doing tricks. It dangerous and beautiful, and can be judged.......
"

4."Dude, You on your girly skates, me on my hockey skates, ANY rink, ANY time
ANY where ! 'you want crushed, you got it !
P. S. did you hear J-lo just finished renovating her multi-million dollar
mansion, its fabulous !!
What ? Can't straight; macho; hairy dudes be girly !
"
:laugh: :laugh: - so you know I know he was joking around. Just fits that constant sentiment why does "tough" keep coming up anyway?.
Food for thought.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we are barking up the wrong tree if we place our emphasis on trying to convince people that figure skating is hard to do.

Yes, it is. So what? Lots of things are hard to do. That alone doesn't make them good, bad, sissy, macho, beautiful, ugly, manly, effeminate, interesting, boring, stupid, sublime or anything else.

As for the gay thing, I do not see any reason to be defensive about it. Gay men are well represented in many artistic endeavors. Again, so what?

I am only skating with one of the hottest girls in the rink, unlike his unattractive girlfriend.
:rofl: :rofl:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
My suggested response for straight men accused of being homosexual because they prefer figure skating to hockey is, "So..as a straight man, I'm supposed to want to hang around with a bunch of sweaty males waving sticks, but if I want to do the sport involving pretty, athletic women in short skirts, I'm gay?" (I wish I had my icon that says "Woo-woo! Here comes the clue train, last stop you!")

But seriously, I don't bother. Figure skating is hard and athletic and some people will never get that unless you drag their butts out on the ice and get them to try even easy turns and one-foot glides. I used to put up with people who didn't get that horseback riding is not, in fact, just sitting pretty while the horse does all the work. There's little point in arguing.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wish I had my icon that says "Woo-woo! Here comes the clue train, last stop you!")

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yah, that I am sure to be using a lot. Frick'n funny!:agree:

That is really the truth, if they don't have the intelligence to have any other discord to FS then it looks "faggy" then they are a lot cause.

The last remark from my friend (#4)I should say he does support it but does not watch it that often. Loves to give me crap and such but has a strong respect for FS. Thinks gymnastics would be a harder sport I.HIS.O but wouldn't watch it either, just doesn't interest him. He doesn't mind hearing about it or seeing some high lights but just isn't interested.
I thought that his comment said that too.
He is the one I went skating with, and he remarked that if hockey was to use the FS blades people would get killed. That was why the Hockey skate comment.

I have even heard guys say if the costumes keep getting smaller or go away I will start watching - not necessarily the type you care about watching anyway - but the Kat Witt rule killed it for those viewing numbers.

I think #2 was right, some will get it and some wont. I think understanding "impedes this" but not to any real great concern. I'll just keep talking about it, showing off the bumper stickers and snagging the remote once and a while. It is true though, even those who didn't watch, watch a little more each time I am watching with them around.

Side note, it is amazing to me how many guys say "who is that?" when Sasha's face comes on - "Oh yah, I like that girl...Sasha you say????" I have heard comments about most of the ladies and a few about the guys, But Sasha always gets that response of "who is she again, or yah I know her face....etc.."

And EVERY one knows MK, even if they say "I can recall her name," I can say "muh" or "kwh" and they blurt it out. But I don't think that made any difference to whether they would watch or not.

Last, the ones I have explained the new scoring to - in brief - Like it and enjoy the thought there is little a Judge can do all by themselves and how much has changed. Most were clueless there is a Ref "making calls" and that one thing alone seems to get there "awh, that is how they decide.."

Mostly I think it comes down to their "perception" over Fact. Once people hear facts on how simple it is to understand - they don't need to know why it is worth... just a 10 point scale on the presentation and a -3 to a +3 on execution of said tricks. If there is a questionable number by any of the Judges it is questioned and that judge will no longer be anonymous. That's not too tough to understand.

I also like to point out that ALL "calls" are going to get questioned in any sport at anytime by any fan. That is the necessity of some one to make the call, whether fans / spectators agree or not.

Last edited:
I have even heard guys say if the costumes keep getting smaller or go away I will start watching - not necessarily the type you care about watching anyway - but the Kat Witt rule killed it for those viewing numbers.
Less is more. No wait, I mean more is less. I mean, come on guys, use your imagination! :biggrin:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Yesterday I gave someone at work a figure skating lesson!!! A student overheard me mention figure skating and she said she has just started skating as an adult figure skater. Anyway, I told her about my years of figure skating and ended up demonstrating (on the carpet of course, sans my figure skates how to do a one foot spin and gave her some tips on proper edge control. It was fun!! Sure turned work into a fun place to be.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I was thinking more about this. How do I promote ice skating? Simply by talking about figure skating to others in a positive note. Figure Skating is my passion and it really comes across when I talk to people about skating. I can see myself on the ice when I talk about it. I encourage people to take up skating and tell them about all the benefits skating would bring them. It's not hard to talk about something you love!!!

:love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back to the original question. I show my friends videos of various skating performances that I consider great to prove my point that this is an amazing sport. Of course, you can't convince everyone of that. I also talk up the local shows, competitions that come to our area, and encourage friends to attend them. Some show interest, some don't, but I still keep talking it up.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'd say the same thing has worked pretty good for me - show them. Sasha Irina profiles they did (Sasha's work out regimen, Iras comeback from illness and going against Dr, recommendations) always have a tendency to show them how dedicated and athletically strong of individuals, then you show them a skating clip...."and is there any other that can allow an athlete to look so gorgeous?" The guys for the ladies too, the girls really notice how nicely "formed" the guys legs and such are and like a guy who is able to be gentle and powerful in their actions.
I was thinking more about this. How do I promote ice skating? Simply by talking about figure skating to others in a positive note. Figure Skating is my passion and it really comes across when I talk to people about skating. I can see myself on the ice when I talk about it. I encourage people to take up skating and tell them about all the benefits skating would bring them. It's not hard to talk about something you love!!!

:love:

What are some of the benefits you mention Lad?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
personally, while I agree skating has some very attractive people in it, that doesn't really prove that it's a sport... I know a lot of guys who don't have a sport that like to be well toned...

now getting girls who aren't into the sport will stand up and take notice at the 'hotties' of the sport... my best friend adores Tim Goebel (whom the US media pushed big time as the cute one in 02) but can't tell the difference between a camel spin and a triple axel... she drools over the Cowboy routine from SOI...

she still makes the stereotypical jokes... but hey, at least she'll sit and watch it with me (got her to go to US Nationals' exhibition with me in 05, and she's coming along for the ride in 09 to worlds)...

I'm not going to pound it in her head, or anyone's, that it's a sport darn it and don't you dare bash it. Because then I can't rag on her for her obsession with bowling, or my cousins' obsession with football, etc...

it's just not that big a deal to me to have teh whole world love/appreciate skating...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
personally, while I agree skating has some very attractive people in it, that doesn't really prove that it's a sport... I know a lot of guys who don't have a sport that like to be well toned...
I agree, that almost seems to be one of the set back - that they are "generally" such attractive looking.

she drools over the Cowboy routine from SOI...
oh, that reminded me of Ira's Cotton Eyed Joe :love: *faint*
she still makes the stereotypical jokes... but hey, at least she'll sit and watch it with me (got her to go to US Nationals' exhibition with me in 05, and she's coming along for the ride in 09 to worlds)...
:clap:
I'm not going to pound it in her head, or anyone's, that it's a sport darn it and don't you dare bash it. Because then I can't rag on her for her obsession with bowling, or my cousins' obsession with football, etc...
Dido, how about the ones obsessed with 4x4 rock "jeep" crawling. So they drive on what once was beautiful mountain terrain and learn how to not get stuck or get the vehicle over it? Whoopy:laugh:
it's just not that big a deal to me to have teh whole world love/appreciate skating...
I really agree, my thought is more skaters, events and sponsorships would come via more interest.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I went off elsewhere and It fit here well.

If you can get disqualified from a sport there is Judging involved. Even if you are deducting seconds for "something" during, that had to have been judged. i.e. crossed the lane in track, illegal bump in NASCAR, etc...

Sometimes I think they might just have used up there full brain capacity and can't figure it out. :laugh: some think they can't figure it out. Not unless they are thinking they must know all the in-n-outs of how every little aspect is immediately.... then I find this ridiculous argument. It is not that difficult to get.
• Prog. last defined period of time equal to each skater.
• Elements "tricks (I hate that term) are predetermined before the comp and worth a specific number of points.
• Ref calls the element once performed during the routine.
• the points are given for the "trick" and the judges each can decide to take away up to 3 points or give up to 3 points depending on execution.
• At the end the decide on a scale of 1 - 10 what to give for the overall "performance" and that is added too.
Yep there are deductions and stuff that you start to become familiar with. Much like Learning what is a legal bump in NASCAR or Legal contact in Football.
When they ask how do they decide, that is when they get hooked and I simple say "let's watch a routine and I bet if I ask you -3 to +3 you are going to give pretty good scores..likely similar to the Judges." etc...

It is one of the "Finish line / Stop watch" sports AND MORE! And not for someone more interested in talking and the social factor of events, but someone who truly loves sports enough to pay attention. All the ones who engross themselves in FS become fans, that is because as soon as they know and not just "unfairly judge the sport themselves" (hypocrites) become fans because they understand instead of just "thinking that" - which BTW is judging too.

Ask about the FS Scandal I say, that has been corrected and made more improbable. And all sports are subject to a "ref" call at some point that will have an impact on the outcome. Besides, we are talking about the most diverse sport having more aspects of competition then any other.

There are clearly "out of bounds, goal lines and yes even finish lines." These are ALL taking into consideration in ADDITION to other aspects as choreography and interpretation are also. FS HAS IT ALL. Including the factors others may use as examples of a sport to them "yes in addition Bubba, that and MORE.":p

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I managed to get my 6 1/2 yr old nephes and 4 1/2 yr old niece to watch part of Skate America with me today.

My niece wanted to know why everyone was falling. She also liked Melissa Gregory's outfit.

My nephew thought some of the lifts and throws were cool. He also wondered if the girls or guys were better after watching Rena fall and then watching John fall the 2nd time, as well.

They already roller skate a bit and will eventually try out the ice. My SIL doesn't do very well on skates; so, I imagine that I'll have to tag along to help hold one of them up. I can manage to get around without falling unless I'm tripped.