Was it one of the most predictable Olympics ever in Turin? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Was it one of the most predictable Olympics ever in Turin?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
What surprised me thhe most was when Slutskaya fell. If she lost I was expecting it to be either because someone skated brilliantly (a la Sarah Hughes 2002) or becuase she had a sloppy skate, but for some reason I never expected her to actually fall on a jump.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Slute was pretty much used up and burnt out by Torino. You could see that at the GP final, when she doubled the 3F in the SP and lost to Mao Asada.

She went on to make the same mistake in the FS at Torino, as well as falling on the 3L. Irina had had her skate of a lifetime a year earlier, at Moscow Worlds. She just could not sustain that high for another year, being chronically ill as she is.

I don't think Irina will come back to eligible skating. I think she will be able to make a comfortable living skating in shows in Russia, and maybe do the COI tour if she needs the extra money.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I wonder if the world of amateur skating, excluding Cheesefests, will ever see any of Kwan, Slutskaya, Arakawa, or Cohen again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if the world of amateur skating, excluding Cheesefests, will ever see any of Kwan, Slutskaya, Arakawa, or Cohen again.

I think not. According to Cohen she might, but of course we know not to put much stock into what she says.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
I doubt we'll see Kwan back. She had a serious injury and had surgery. Who knows about Irina? She seems determined. Sasha is doubtful. She isn't consistent enough and can't seem to get it together. Going up against the likes of Kimmie and Mao (who have already successfully beaten Sasha) isn't something that I believe Sasha is cut out for. I think these ladies have all seen their "better days." (some better than others)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Irina not even going to Worlds after the Olympics makes me doubt more she will be back. Plus she will be 29 by next season, and at the next Olympics(and she would only return if the ultimate target was the elusive Oly Gold)she would be 31.

I hope I am wrong, as long as it is good for her health. If not I will always have tapes for memories. I hope I see her on a major NA tour at some point too.