Men's SP | Golden Skate

Men's SP

enlight78

Medalist
I just saw oda on cctv-5. He was wonderful. Good fast spins. Great triple axel. His presentation has improve so much. He is such an entertainter. A wonderful program in all.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

hongligl

Final Flight
I saw Oda's SP on CCTV5, he did a great job! Superb jumps and great choreography. The program suits him well, so does the costume.

Jhar55

Medalist
Also just watched on CCTV-5 was hoping for more of the mens.
US network need to take a hint don't chat during the skating it was so much nicer to watch. They did all the chit chating while waitng for the scores :clap:

bx11

Rinkside
Men short program

Nobunari Was so pleasant to watch.

I really like his skating, so smooth on the landing!

Good heavens, Oda is 11 points ahead of Lysacek! I think it's out of reach for Evan.

Welcome to Golden Skate, bx11! :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Aaagh, I hoped so much that Lysacek this season starts to succeed better in the short programme.... Third place is not bad, but he is so much behind. I saw clips from the programmes of Oda and Preaubert and really enjoyed both very much (especially Preaubert).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
A tech score of a 44+ without a quad this early in the season? That is almost hard to believe. Also a PCS total of 37+ this early in the season for Oda? I find that a bit hard to believe as well. The judges really are falling head over heels for this guy. Still he must have had a great skate, hopefully I get to see it this weekend.

Oscilla

On the Ice
It was an awsome skate. I could not believe how much he improved, and so early in the season, too! No comparison to his Dreams on Ice performance - even the choreography changed a bit. Awsome jumps, awsome spins, lots of personality and he sold footwork like crazy.

Another thing to take note of: his blades are whisper-quiet. There were microphones installed on the ice level in the CCTV broadcast; and when the skaters skated you almost could not hear the music, the scratching was so loud. Not with Oda. Compared to Preaubert, his skates were nearly noiseless. He must have an amazing control over his edges.

I would not be surprised if his skating skills were in 8's by the end of the year.

ETA:
An interesting article:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=36332

And a photo:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/061027/483/1fbd9be8d1c14221b0c92a8cf9c28000

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have now seen the clips of Nanri, Lysacek, Mabee, Oda, Preaubert (unfortunately only partial) and Van der Perren. It is such a pleasure to watch how wonderfully Nanri, Mabee, Oda (WOW) and Preaubert (WOW) are interpreting their music. Also the choreographies are really great.

About Lysacek´s short programme I have to say that the choreography does not really fit the music, the right feeling lacks in the whole programme. Maybe also this is not the best possible music for Lysacek? One has to remember though that this was the first performance in a competition. On the other hand it was the same for other guys, too. Lysacek´s beard must go!!! And I really hope that this was the last time he falters in the short programme... Short pogramme MUST be faultless.

Last edited:
I didn't realize until I read the article that Oda's score is the second highest EVER for a men's short program.

There is something about him -- a natural showmanship -- that reminds me of Scott Hamilton.

hongligl

Final Flight
It was an awsome skate. I could not believe how much he improved, and so early in the season, too! No comparison to his Dreams on Ice performance - even the choreography changed a bit. Awsome jumps, awsome spins, lots of personality and he sold footwork like crazy.

Another thing to take note of: his blades are whisper-quiet. There were microphones installed on the ice level in the CCTV broadcast; and when the skaters skated you almost could not hear the music, the scratching was so loud. Not with Oda. Compared to Preaubert, his skates were nearly noiseless. He must have an amazing control over his edges.

Right on! I didn't like Oda that much last year. But this program is just amazing. and the quietness of his blades is something we would never notice without the built-in microphone. On a side note, maybe they should adjust the volume of the under-ice microphone so that it would be just right to give audience an idea about skaters' skating skills but not interfer with the music.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I didn't realize until I read the article that Oda's score is the second highest EVER for a men's short program.

There is something about him -- a natural showmanship -- that reminds me of Scott Hamilton.

Thank you! I've been wondering when someone else would say this. And I can't wait to see the skate. Go Nobu!
xoxo
Rave

scs

Rinkside
Yikes...what happened to the Canadians, Mabee and Young? Neither clearly skated as they can with those scores!

JOHIO2

Medalist
I hope Alban P. is planning to keep his Bald Mt/ Flight of Bumble Bee routine for this season. I enjoyed it last season and thought this was the best I've seen him skate it. Even the costume was better than last season.

I also liked Ryan Bradley's pgm. If he could only be consistent hitting jumps, we'd see more of him. He's certainly entertaining.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
It was worth the wait to watch Oda skate! He sure doesn't seem "juniorish" this season, does he? His short program was wonderful. And I finally got to see two programs from Preaubert - also worth the wait. Hope to see him again this season...ESPN, are you paying attention?
Those were the skaters that impressed me the most in the short program. The one who really did not impress me (among those few who were actually televised) was Evan, and that made me sad. It made me even sadder when I thought, "Slap the choreographer!" and realized I wanted to hurt Kurt Browning. I'm not feeling the short program at all, I hope to feel it eventually. I seem to be the only one who kind of liked the facial hair, though.
Oh, well. Yay! The season has commenced!
xoxo
Rave