Ladies LP notes | Golden Skate

Ladies LP notes

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Those are just my notes and observations, nothing more.

It was an odd competition. The first group was so boring it was painful, yet the second group reminded us all why we love this sport. Kimmie and Ando really rocked the house giving the performances of their lives. Wow!

An observation about coaches. From my seat, I could see K&C well through binoculars. I was sad to see that Arutunian seemed to have very little interaction with the Asadas. They were both upset after their performances, but he was certainly not doing anything to comfort them. In both cases, he was seating quite a bit far from his student, and only exchanged a few sentences with them. OTOH, Morozov and Ando seemed to be communicating very well. I know that one GP event is certainly not enough to tell, but this seems to correlate to how well the whole partnership is going.

Korpi
Pleasant, smooth.
Telegraphs jumps.
Fell on her butt, other mistakes.
Weak transitions.
Beaver cleaver rather unattractive.

Leung
Program very well matched to her.
Tasteful costume.
Strong start.
A few errors, 1 major fall on sequence – she struggled with triple lutz, saved it, but instead of quitting the jump there while she was ahead, went for the triple loop and feel on it.
Second jump sequence looked nice – surprised 2 of the judges gave it negative GoE.
At the beginning, her in-betweens were nice, but toward the end she was just concentrating on elements.

Cantu
1st “Personal Best” of the night
Great reception, screams “go Michelle”.
Fell on her butt. Not too impressed.

Taylor
What happened there?! I know Katy is a better skater than this!!!!
Bubby personality totally not translating on the ice.
2 falls on her butt, the 2nd one just before the end as if to make sure the judges remember it.
I was literally falling asleep on this one.

Marchei
I actually liked her a lot.
Dramatic, mature.
She actually skates to the music!
Sloppy though. Errors on most jumps – you can tell it won’t be good at the take off.
First lady to stay on her feet tonight!
2nd mark could certainly be higher.

Warm-up observations: Kimmie went on the ice very aggressive (toward skating, not toward others on the ice), whereas Emily seemed more complacent.

Mao Assada
Lori Nichols is a genius. What do you do when you have a skater whose presentation skills still need improvement, but who absolutely must give at least a somewhat emotional performances? You use Czardas! Very tasteful, and you can’t help but want to dance to it..
She still doesn’t know what to do with her arms between elements.
Missed a lot of jumps.
Still, performance was engaging.

Hughes
Sorry, but I found her exceedingly boring.
A nit pick – the part of the leotard that covers the crotch should not be of lighter pink than the skirt – otherwise, there is an impression of underwear.
Nice falling leaf.

Meissner
Audience went so crazy when Kimmie was announced, I felt a little bad for Emily who was still in K&C.
More mature than Mao.
Light skating, not at all forced.
Standing ovation.
A “Wow!” performance. Not sure why, but it carried that kind of “wow” energy.
This performance proves that last year’s Worlds medal was not a fluke.

Ando
2nd “Personal Best” of the night
Good costume.
Improved presentation without compromising the technical (opened with a perfect triple lutz/ triple loop combo).
Mature, determined skating.
Good footwork. Kept energy throughout whole program.
I think that it can be either good or bad to follow a real class act. In Miki’s case, she used the positive energy in the arena following Kimmie’s skate to help herself to an incredible skate.
Standing ovation.

Meier
3d “Personal Best” of the night
Elegant. Ladylike. Reminds me of Volchkova at her best.
Really uses her harms.
Lacks the energy of previous two, but still very pleasant to watch.

Mai Asada
4th “Personal Best” of the night
A couple of falls.
Didn’t seem comfortable with her program.
Looked almost scared in K&C.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just for fun, I made a list of which teams I liked best. This does not mean I think the ones on the top of my list should have placed higher, it’s just whom I liked.
  1. Meissner
  2. Ando
  3. Mao Assada
  4. Meier
  5. Mai Asada
  6. Hughes
  7. Marchei
  8. Leung
  9. Korpi
  10. Cantu
  11. Taylor

Interesting how many "personal bests" there were at this competition (men, too). Usually the first competition of the season is pretty rough. The judges seemed to be in a generous mood.

Ptichka said:
I was sad to see that Arutunian seemed to have very little interaction with the Asadas.
There does seem to be a certain amount of "fair weather friend" to this coach. He didn't even go to Turin for Michelle last February. Got on a plane but mysteriously ended up in Moscow instead. (?)

Thanks for the reports, Ptichka.

Interesting that you enjoyed Meissner's performance better than Ando's. I was just looking at the protocols, and going just by the points, Miki gave an absolutely unbeatable performance. Her seven triples, including 3Lz+3Lo gave her a total of 46.63 base points on the jump elements alone, plus an astonishing +4.60 GOE on jump elements (the equivalent of an extra triple Salchow).

Ando beat her previous personal best by 20 points (192.59 to 172.30).

Even if Kimmie had done a triple Axel in the place of her first double Axel, she would still have had only 44.98 base value on jump elements.

BTW, Kimmie gave a funny and telling quote, according to the USFS article. http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=36402

“It feels so good because it's been such a rivalry in the media between me and the Japanese skaters. I admit it feels good to be on top right now.”

She was "on top" of Mao, but not Miki. So it is clear what rivalry she had in mind. :laugh:

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
There does seem to be a certain amount of "fair weather friend" to this coach. He didn't even go to Turin for Michelle last February. Got on a plane but mysteriously ended up in Moscow instead. (?)

Maybe he isn't that close to his skaters. It appeared to me that Michelle was very comfortable with his "hands off" style of interaction. In fact, when she won her 9th Nationals and he looked like he was "getting cozy", she didn't seem so comfortable.

I will also vouch that a lot of Asians do not like to be touched. You might think that Rafael is being distant but probably Mao and Mai do not want a coach to comfort them and feel more comfortable if he keeps his distance.

As for Morosov- I think he's a super coach and it looks like he is really getting through to Ando. Too bad the Japanese federation didn't have Ando and Shiz go to Morosov. They might have gotten 2 spots on the podium.

Bill508

Rinkside
Im very happy for Miki. What a way to break the slump of last season. Team Japan: two on the podium, not a bad start to the season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not think Lori Nichol is a genius, and I think "Czardas" is partly to blame for Mao Asada's choked performance. The music is just too fast. I think one of the reasons why she missed her 3A at both Campbell's and SA is that the music is so driving that she rushed the entrance to the 3A and then (at SA) the next jump combination. She didn't land a triple until after two minutes had passed!

I also think Mao is experiencing pressure, and not necessarily from Meissner. It is the rejuvenated Miki Ando who is now a threat to Mao, and it is a threat that will be on her mind every day this season. Miki will be at the GPF, at Japanese Nationals, and at Worlds in Japan. Miki seemed out of the picture a year a go, and now she's back with a vengeance---and Mao's confidence is being nibbled away.

Leung's program SHOULD be very well matched to her---it is the same FS from last year, only she never skated it as badly then as she did at SA. She was given credit for only two triples. The rest were either doubled or downgraded due to underrotation. Her PCS scores were 10th in the SP and 9th in the FS, lower than skaters who finished well below her.

Emily Hughes landed only 3 triples. She popped three jumps: the 3F that was meant to be in combination, the solo 3F, and the ending 3Z. She was popping jumps at Campbell's as well. There seems to be a problem here!

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report!

All in all, this seems like an exciting start to this season. It's great that Miki is back and doing so well, and while I do feel sorry for Mao, I enjoy the competition among the Japenese skaters (women and men).

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
Well the media has been trying to build this Mao vs Kimmie rivalry since worlds. And I'm sure it hasn't slipped Kimmie's mind that A) Mao wasn't at worlds and B) until now she had never beaten Mao. So I'm sure Kimmie is thrilled to finally come out on top of Mao for once.

As for Mao, I hope she goes home and pulls her game back on. But pressure is on her for the first time I think. Last season she knew Olympics/Worlds was out, so she just had to get out there. Now after last season people are expecting her to win and knowing Mao she expects it of herself too.

But way to go Miki! :clap:
Whatever was missing before seems to finally be there, because she looks great right now. And she finally seems to connect with music and the audience.

passion

On the Ice
Just curious, has anyone noticed a difference in Mira's skating since changing coaches?

Passion, you must be Mira Leung in disguise, or her new coach. You seem so interested in her! :agree:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the review! Just watched Ando's SP this afternoon. She is much improved. All the power!

The Moscow was planned the stop after the competetion. When he and Danny at Paris ariport MK phoned them she decided withdrawn. So he diverted to Moscow right way.

They don't speak same language, and English is the 2nd language for both. Guess half year is not enough to develop the 'cozy' relationship between coach adn skater?

They don't speak same language, and English is the 2nd language for both. Guess half year is not enough to develop the 'cozy' relationship between coach adn skater?
That is quite true, and Soogar made some good points as well. The skaters may not be looking for "cozy" from their coaches.

Still, did you see Mao and Arturian in the kiss and cry after the SP? Mao won, she was all smiles and happiness, and she kept looking over at her coach for some kind of encouragement, a smile of congratulations, some sort of acknowledgement of a job well done. He never even looked at her. (But he did put his hand on Miki Ando's knee -- don't know how she felt about that.)

BTW, I also noticed that Nobonari Oda's coach -- who is also his mother! -- congratulated him twice in the kiss and cry by solemnly and formally shaking his hand. No hug from mom in public! :laugh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Still, did you see Mao and Arturian in the kiss and cry after the SP? Mao won, she was all smiles and happiness, and she kept looking over at her coach for some kind of encouragement, a smile of congratulations, some sort of acknowledgement of a job well done. He never even looked at her. (But he did put his hand on Miki Ando's knee -- don't know how she felt about that.)
He coach Ando now? Don't know that.
Anyway, heard there is a new rink in building at Japan. When it's finished, Asada sisters will move back to training in Japan, only come to US once in a while....guess they will look more and more 'apart' in K&C area. lol.

kyla2

Final Flight
My Impressions

I just watched them all on YOUTUBE.COM and I totally agree that Kimmie was the best in the LP. Ando was great but not as well rounded as Kimmie and Kimmie's choreography was better. Having said that Ando did very well herself and has improved considerably. I felt badly for Mao (who is a lovely, lyrical skater) and Mai. They are much better than those two performances.

I also noticed the disconnect between Arutunian and his skaters. But the truth is, I noticed it when he coached Michelle. There is no emotional connection. When he coached Michelle, it made me long for the days of Frank Carroll jumping up and down with joy when Michelle got her 6.0's.

mzheng

Record Breaker
BTW, I also noticed that Nobonari Oda's coach -- who is also his mother! -- congratulated him twice in the kiss and cry by solemnly and formally shaking his hand. No hug from mom in public! :laugh:
How many slots that Japan has in men event? I'm expecting to see more hand shaking mom and son team. :laugh:

Miki skated super great in the LP, but I was not taken with the series of hi tech jumps in the last 30 seconds of her routine. However, points are points and she got plenty for the ending of her rountine. I imagine she was concerned that her countrywoman would win over her with the 3A.

Kimmie looked good with her vengeance skate, and she is still a contender. She must do something with the SP which, imo, is quite drab.

Poor Mao. We know she can do better (even her exhibition was off). It must be the change from cute little tyke to a pretty young woman. She'll do better in NHK.

Emily is so hyper. Her routine is very good and Sylvia is a perfect music for her. I know Wilson creates complicated routines but one has to skate them for the effect he is after. I think she will eventually.

Forget Katy. Bebe will be 3rd at US Nats, if Sasha does not skate.

Sara is the lioness in waiting for the right moment to strike.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I wasn't impressed by any of the American ladies at SA. For me, the Japanese ladies are way ahead of them.
Miki was so improved, but yes, still has things to work on ... which I'm sure she will. This was a great confidence builder for her though. I loved her!!!
Mao's jumps seem so light and easy, and I wouldn't worry too much about her LP performace. Both she and Miki will be tough to beat this season, IMO.

Kimmie just doesn't do it for me. I have seen some improvement from last season, but nothing to write home about. She landed the jumps, but she made me feel nothing with her performance. Without the 3A, I don't find anything about her skating exceptional.

And Emily ... I don't get the push for her. She pounds everything in her programs to the point that it becomes distracting for me. She doesn't even attempt a 3 loop, and has continued from last year with her LP problems.

Katy was dismal ... heard she was breaking in new boots.

Loved Sara Meier and Kira Korpi ... they bring a lovely elegance to the ice.

I'm officially on the Japanese bandwagon ... they were marvelous!!! :rock: