How can dizzyness be overcome in spins? | Golden Skate

How can dizzyness be overcome in spins?

Jilles

Spectator
Hi, I'm a dutch student physical therapy. And I need your Help! That sounds weird maybe, but it's not. Let me explain. I am in my senior year and that's the year when you study at school and learn on the job. And now I have a patient with a disease called Morbus Meniere. The problem is that he is dizzy very soon. For example while walking or even standing. Now we wondered if you could train dizzyness or "vertigo"? especially because figure skaters have to do pirouettes. Is there a technique in skating to avoid dizzyness or avoid it. Please help me. Thanx a lot

Hi Jilles, thanks for posting this interestin question, and welcome to Golden Skate.

I have moved this post to the "Lutz Corner" folder, which is the forum where skaters congregate to discuss their own experiences and techniques. You should get more resoponses here.

Mathman :)

I

IcyBallerina

Hi, Jilles! Most skaters stop feeling dizzy after a while just by practicing spins frequently.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Conditioning is the most common thing that I have heard and have found helps. Start with one space it out do another etc.. I also Spin on a "spinner, made by my Bro in law and me but you can buy them. Some might also have other techniques like looking up and to the right, blanking out vision, blurring your eyes, etc.. but I personally think the thing that helped the most was spinning a little bit through out the day. I have even done the demonstration on a bar stool at a bar. one spin, talk for a minute then 2, etc.. and stood up and walked a straight line after 5 rotations and a couple of pints. So that is where I say most of theability to overcome dizziness stems from.

We have talked about this before in the time I have been a member here, but I couldn't find the old thread. It went more into detail.

BTW, Welcome to GS. If you have a question about on just about any topic someone here knows or will direct you. the people here are simply the best.:agree:

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I found this info:

A good spin also requires the right focus, which combats the dizziness that many beginning skaters experience. NASA has done a number of tests using figure skaters to help understand and control the effects of dizziness. Scientists discovered that the technique perfected by an accomplished skater is to focus not on objects as they spin past but on the space between the skater and the object. With practice and increased skill, dizziness significantly diminishes.

I

IcyBallerina

I don't know how much these things would help, though, for somebody which such bad vertigo that they have difficulty walking...

megsk8z

On the Ice
The more you spin, the easier it is on the brain. I find that if I practice my spinning regularly, it makes the dizziness go away. When I don't practice enough I get to a point where I wind up saying, "I have to do more of this or none at all." So I guess practice, practice, practice is the way to overcome the dizziness.

My mother used to get dizzy a lot, and she was visually impaired, which made the dizziness much worse. They used to give her meclizine for it and that helped a lot.