Ice Wars | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Wars

"Coulrophia." Symptoms upon seeing a clown include shortness of breath, dizziness, sweating, nausea, dry mouth, feeling sick, shaking, heart palpitations, inability to speak or think clearly, and a fear of dying or going insane. :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
But the problem with Oksana's clown was that she billed it as "the story of my life." She started the program as a clown and ended as a clown and in between she won a gold medal.

Well she was honest :agree::rofl:

Jhar55

Medalist
Have to admitt I only watch about 4 skaters 5 at the most.
Oksana skating just turns me off, like others I didn't get the clown thing.
Michael Wiess just dosen't do it for me, I don't find his "comdey" skating funny.
I think some try to copy Scott and Kurt and it turns you off.
Angela was a delight to see again hope we get to see more of her, SOI or COI need to snatch her up.
Seen better from Kurt and Brian he's getting up there in age but still tries to give us a good show.

Sorry, Rory Flack Burghart can do great Russian split jumps ... but is the state of US female pro skating in such disrepair that she's the best choice to put on a prime time special?
Rory Burghart is both athletic and entertaining, and I always look forward to seeing her skate.

But about the "state of disrepair" in U.S. pro skating, there does seem to be a void. Michelle never expressed any interest in "going pro," and she continued in eligible competition until she just couldn't skate any more. Angela and Amber Corwin are her only contempories.

In the generation that "ought to be" turning pro now, Sasha appears to want to strike out in new directions. Jenny Kirk :love: and Ann Patrice Macdonough :love: are out of skating, along with Sarah Hughes, and Nari Nari Nam is trying pairs.

I think Alissa Czysny could be very popular as a pro, but she needs to win a couple more major titles first to establish her credibility.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jenny Kirk :love:

agreed8mv.gif
19.gif

I think Alissa Czysny could be very popular as a pro, but she needs to win a couple more major titles first to establish her credibility.

Credibility? She's a nice skater by herself...and a couple MORE major titles? She hasn't won any IIRC. And, sorry to say, she's not going to get any. :frown:

But, she is a really nice skater to watch. I think she's better suited for performing rather than competing. Also... :love: :love:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, I managed to download and watch a couple programs courtesy of FSVids. :rock: Nice to see Nikodinov back...I just wish the commentator(s) would just shut up about her coming back, yada yada. Save that for a 4min. fluff piece or something. Liked her CD program, and not to mention easy on the eyes as well :love: . And what was up with Oksana dancing around...not much skating going on there, just posing...(but gotta admit, didn't have *too* much of a problem with that ;) )

ID Nurse

Rinkside
Kurt Browning is in a class by himself. Nobody but no body can put skating tricks together with the music as he can.

Brian to me, has always been skating as if he has osteoparosis(sp). He can not do crossovers without bending the body and looking likes someone is chasing him JMO.

Joe

Actually, Brian has a back condition called spondylolisthesis. According to an interview from Blades on Ice from December 2004, it was diagnosed in 1998 when his right leg went numb.
My Tabers medical dictionary gives the definition of spondylolisthesis as "Any forward slipping of one vertebrae on the one below it." WebMD adds that this condition "may lead to your spinal cord or nerve roots being squeezed. This can cause back pain and numbness and weakness in your legs."
Again, in the Blades article, Brian said his problem was between L4 and L5 (lumbar--lower back) and it was caused by a stress fracture in his vertebrae (usually an overuse injury.) Apparently the doctors told him he would never skate again. Brian stopped doing triple axles after that. He says he still has a problem with sciatica now and then. His coach Linda was quoted in the article as saying "I really didn't know if he'd ever be able to come back from that. Each year that he is still out there is a gift."

Enough for the medical lesson. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning!

isk82

On the Ice
Brian to me, has always been skating as if he has osteoparosis(sp). He can not do crossovers without bending the body and looking likes someone is chasing him JMO.

Joe

Funny you should say that.....I have always admired Brian's back crossovers as being the best in the field and when I first started skating, it was my goal to be able to do crossovers like he does. I don't see osteoporosis - I see strength and power with just a few strokes.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
All I can say is nobody moves like Kurt. Awesome pictures. I did not see it on tv Friday night, must have been televised elsewhere, but not here.

Actually, Brian has a back condition called spondylolisthesis.
Enough for the medical lesson. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning!
Thanks ID Nurse for the information, and I hope you post often whenever a seemingly medical question comes up on the board. :thumbsup:

isk82 - Sorry I wasn't clear. It's not the actual crossovers I questioned. It is his bending over way too much while performing crossovers. However, I think ID Nurse has explained the reason for this. I'm just a posture freak when I'm watching champions.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I love Rory Flack............she brings a "womanly" style to skating that few others have..................no baby ballerina here. And she does it without being overly flirty ala Kat Witt. Her long arms and legs and ability to interpret music just bring something to the sport that I like.

You like imagining the different positions you can get people in, eh?~Z
It's all part of style zuranthium.. A skater like Vikka is the epitome of elegance, and from the post above to which I agree, Rory is the epitome of woman-like. Kurt, for me, is character-like. I could go on for each and every skater, but it would serve no purpose. It will take the subjective route depending on the age of the poster. I just find Brian rather bland in style and the overly bent positions of his back on his crossovers do not do it for me. He was/is a fine jumper.

Joe