Something like skating vacation? | Golden Skate

Something like skating vacation?

mystery

Spectator
Hey everybody!
I am from Bulgaria and I am training since 3 years. Despite of this I am still a beginer. Here we have a big problems with ice rinks. We have only 2 and they work from October to March. I have just 2 trainings per week, 1 hour per day. This time is not enough for me. And also I can't have a private coach, I can join only a training gruop.
So... I want to go somewhere abroad to train more, just for few weeks or a month. Can anyone tell me if there is something like this: to have a private coach for a short period of time and train more then twice a week. I can't explain exactly what I mean. I hope you understood me. May be if someone has heart about such thing in his club....:think: And how much would it cost?
Thanks

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Welcome to GS, hope to see posts and hear how it is going with your training. So cool to hear stuff like that. Someone will be able to give you information better than I, but the first thing that popped into my head was looking into Sun Valley Idaho. They have work programs in exchange for lodging and the skating scene is pretty good from what I hear / read. So maybe you could work out something there. I am fairly certain there is a poster on GS from there and I am sure they would have better info as well.

Anyway I didn't want to leave you feeling like no one was paying any attention to your post. Again welcome and keep us posted. Good Luck!
SeaniBu

mystery

Spectator
SeaniBu, thank you for your answer! I hope the others will help me with information too. I really want to make some progress and it is almost impossible here. Now I am trying to find some opportunities in Europe too, because I prefer to consider all alternatives before I choose.

Last edited:

mystery

Spectator
I am really happy about this rink! I can get to the National Palace of Culture for 15 minutes on foot! It will cost 3 leva(about 2$) for hour and a half. I guess there will be extra payment for instructor and for rental skates. :cool:

Last edited:

mystery

Spectator
I found a few opportunities in the USA but I am not sure if outlanders can join them because in the application forms there is not field for country(onle for state). So I wrote some e-mails but I am still waiting for reply. In Europe I found only one opportunity - in Germany. Here is the site http://www.ice-dome.com/oberstdorf.html and I wrote them too. But if I want to take part in some of their camps I have to do at least single jumps and I can't. So... I am at the same place where I started. :frown: :think:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Hunh??? I would almost think that the "camp" is where they would teach jumps - so as people aren't learning the wrong technique such as I am sure I did. I guess they think more on the lines of "refine and improve" rather then start.

I don't know if this is encoragment or not, but if an old fart like me can pull some sloopy single rotation Jumps off - flip, loop, I would imagine you will be soon. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you doing Bunny hops and waltz?

BTW the site was nice, looks like a great facility - understatement, it is gorgeous. I want to work there.
really liked this "collage" http://www.ice-dome.com/Exhibition.html.

Last edited:

mystery

Spectator
I was really very enthusiastic about the camp in Germany because it is international, it is not that far away from home and it is not too expensive. And actually when I opened the application form I thought that there should be mistake about the levels and I wrote them e-mail. Unfortunately they immediately confirmed that I have to be able to do singels.
I am doing Bunny hopes an waltz(waltz is like axel but just a half turn, right? In Bulgarian we call it in a different way, so I am just conjecturing. I hope I didn't misunderstood)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am doing Bunny hopes an waltz(waltz is like axel but just a half turn, right? In Bulgarian we call it in a different way, so I am just conjecturing. I hope I didn't misunderstood)

Yep, as far as I know - never coached. As I like to say a 1/3 axel:laugh:

Sounds like you are on your way to jumping really soon. Does the aplication say you have to do them well?

Ice Dome Looks really nice, the web site is top notch. Just the way a site should interact IMO. I think they need a new camera person though, maybe I should apply:laugh:

mystery

Spectator
Yes, I have to do them well and if I sign for a higher level as I am I run the risk of being excluded from the group. And I don't take any money back, so I have to be absolutely honest when I fill the application.
I need more height and strength... and I have to be a little bit more stable in order to land good enough. And last but not least I am still a little afraid of jumping. May be next season I will be able to do clean singels. I hope so... :confused:
I liked Ice Dome as well! :agree: My advice is to apply about the job of a camera person. :laugh: They really need a better one. Besides, you will made them take me. :laugh: :laugh:

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Unfortunately, most camps do cater for the more experienced skater.

You don't say how old you are; most of the camps I know about that do cater for beginners are for adults. If you are over 21, there are a fair few!

mystery

Spectator
I am 17 so I guess I can't joim a group og adults. I hope next year I will learn to do singles and there would be more opportunities for me. ;)

sweet ery

Spectator
hi everybody!!!

I've been at Icedome and I've loved it!!!
it's the best place for summer training sessions...!:agree:

Ery