2006 Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire Preview | Golden Skate

2006 Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU Grand Prix enters its second half this week, with Trophee Eric Bompard in Paris. This fourth of sixth events has become a staple of the Grand Prix, with its longstanding location in Paris and ornate decorations carried over from its days as the "Lalique" Trophy. French skating has endured a series of political and monetary problems over the past decade, yet still produces arguably the most interesting Grand Prix year after year.

... More

A very hot Dance competition here in Paris.

Veeeery interesting Pairs competition:

Putnam and Wirtz (Can) a very promising future team;
The long awaited debut for many of Li and Xu;
Pla and Bonheur looked good last year;
Russia bringing back Pet/Tikh and hoping for a breakthru of O&S.
Will a completed throw 3A get podium results?

The Ladies!!!!

Rochette, Poykio, Kostner, Ando, Yu Na Kim, Meissner, Zukowski - Who could ask for anything more?

The Men

3 Canadians (including Buttle?). 3 Musketeers: Contesti, Joubert, Preaubert; Chiper to regain some lost momentum; and a trio of Russians - looking forward to a clean skate by Klimkin.

Was there a big sign?: NO AMERICANS ALLOWED.

Joubert to skate clean in his home country and win this. JMO.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
The Men

3 Canadians (including Buttle?). 3 Musketeers: Contesti, Joubert, Preaubert; Chiper to regain some lost momentum; and a trio of Russians - looking forward to a clean skate by Klimkin.

Was there a big sign?: NO AMERICANS ALLOWED.

Joubert to skate clean in his home country and win this. JMO.

Joe

No Buttle. Most recent roster for men:

Patrick CHAN
Shawn SAWYER
Xiaodong MA
Samuel CONTESTI
Brian JOUBERT
Alban PREAUBERT
Takahiko KOZUKA
Yasuharu NANRI
Sergei DOBRIN
Andrei GRIAZEV
Ilia KLIMKIN
Jamal OTHMAN

Here's to hoping for clean skates (well, from everyone, but especially my faves, which would be Othman, Preaubert and all three of the Russian men) and a good competition.

No Buttle. Most recent roster for men:

Patrick CHAN
Shawn SAWYER
Xiaodong MA
Samuel CONTESTI
Brian JOUBERT
Alban PREAUBERT
Takahiko KOZUKA
Yasuharu NANRI
Sergei DOBRIN
Andrei GRIAZEV
Ilia KLIMKIN
Jamal OTHMAN

Here's to hoping for clean skates (well, from everyone, but especially my faves, which would be Othman, Preaubert and all three of the Russian men) and a good competition.
Othman on good looks and improvements after injuries; Klimkin on feeling the music. Brian for jumps, Alban for fun. Let's hope for the clean skates from everyone.

Oh, yes! and that Ladies line up. wow.

Joe

Yu-na Kim needs a good showing to guarantee a spot in the Grand Prix finals.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks, sounds good. Just wondering, who writes these articles? There's no author listed next to it.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think the following statement is inaccurate:

"Russia's Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov announced their retirement after a bronze medal at Worlds, but this pair – known as much for their snail-like skating pace as for their four world medals – are back for another season."

I saw them in DC, where I agree that they were slow, but since the 2004 season they've increased their speed considerably. They are at least as fast as Zhang/Zhang.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think the following statement is inaccurate:

"Russia's Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov announced their retirement after a bronze medal at Worlds, but this pair – known as much for their snail-like skating pace as for their four world medals – are back for another season."

I saw them in DC, where I agree that they were slow, but since the 2004 season they've increased their speed considerably. They are at least as fast as Zhang/Zhang.

I was going to make the same comment, that previously they have been described as slow but they really improved their speed in the last few seasons.

Ant

I was looking forward to seeing Carolina again. I have not been able to join her bandwagon based on recent skatings.

Pet/Tich , imo, skated their best ever in Calgary and I and others thought they should have won.

Joe