Protocols | Golden Skate

Protocols

gio

Medalist
The protocols are out and now we can see what decided the judges regarding the single jump of Hughes and Nakano in the SP.

For Emily Hughes' triple Lutz, just 3 judges gave her a -2GOE, 4 gave a -1GOE, 2 the base value and a confused (or distracted) judge gave her EVEN a +1GOE.

If Emily Hughes was penalized for her solo jump without footwork, we cannot say the same for Nakano. Even if she as Hughes didn't do any footwork before the jump the judges gave her these marks = 6 judges gave her the base value, 1 judge a -1GOE, and three judges (that probably didn't know which are the requirements for the SP!) gave her a +GOE.

Why Emily was penalized and Yukari wasn't???

Oscilla

On the Ice
My guess is it was because Yukari at least did the jump straight out of a turn, while Emily had just this long, telegraphed entry.

I think the judges themselves are confused about how severely penalize the skater for not doing the steps into a jump... I don't remember it being clearly specyfied in the rules (but then I might be wrong).

I think the judges themselves are confused about how severely penalize the skater for not doing the steps into a jump... I don't remember it being clearly specyfied in the rules (but then I might be wrong).
It would be nice if they called a must attend seminar of judges to iron out this problem. There is a big difference between -3 and +1; and just how much attention should be paid to a jump out of footwork as compared to a telegraphed jump. Clear it up ISU!!!

Joe