American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN

John King

Final Flight
There is always fsvids (now changed to http://fsvids.net ),which has much better quality ones.Not as easily accessible,plus since they have changed over from their previous domain (fsvids.9.forumer.com),they've had to slowly re-upload their inventory,so I'd suggest registering and visiting every couple of days,but it really is worth it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh Jhar, I really wasn't serious. I can't imagine putting figure skating on on Sunday afternoon (very family time) when there are other sports around.

I just don't understand this swtich to figure skating. I like it but why?

Joe

figure skating is thought to be more family friendly than the other sports... with the holidays coming up, it doesn't surprise me in the least... figure skating is a 'holiday sport' when it's not an olympic year... that's why Kurt's Gotta Skate is shown in late november or early december (and other shows) even though they're taped in October... because people are more likely to watch them around the holidays.

figure skating is thought to be more family friendly than the other sports... with the holidays coming up, it doesn't surprise me in the least... figure skating is a 'holiday sport' when it's not an olympic year... that's why Kurt's Gotta Skate is shown in late november or early december (and other shows) even though they're taped in October... because people are more likely to watch them around the holidays.
Yes, but I'm questioning the GPs, not show skating which indeed cover the holidays. The GPs are an athletic event which were shoved over to ESPN and now some of it has been switched back to ABC.

There had been a grand announcement by ABC that except for the Campbells, Marshalls and US Nats, all figure skating would be on ESPN including the World Championships. In spite of that grand announcement some GPs have now filtered back to the parent company.

I'm not complaining but I am curious. My guess is that it has to be revenue. My speculation is that the sport of Figure Skating may well be getting more viewers than whatever ABC had in mind.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not complaining but I am curious. My guess is that it has to be revenue. My speculation is that the sport of Figure Skating may well be getting more viewers than whatever ABC had in mind.

Joe

maybe, but I still stand behind what I said. Whether or not it's a sport 'competition' or a sport 'exhibition' doesn't much matter, it's figure skating and to the average American viewer it's all a show.

OT, but television viewers here in Detroit just got to see Alissa Czisny a minute ago skating at the annual Christmas tree lighting festival downtown. This celebration opens the season for the outdoor public skating facility at Campus Martius (the poor man's Rockefeller Center, LOL).

Alissa skated to River by Joan Collins ("I wish I had a river to skate away on"). Blue dress and the ice was lighted blue, too. She did a couple of split jumps along with her usual arsenal of soul-satisfying spins, spirals and moves in the files. Just beautiful. What a treat. God's in his heaven and all's right with the world.

PS, OK, Moyle and Seitz just skated. :love: Josh Groban music, they did a throw double jump, a spectacular death spiral, a kind of low to the ice head banger and a variety of extended lifts.

I LOVE THIS SPORT!

maybe, but I still stand behind what I said. Whether or not it's a sport 'competition' or a sport 'exhibition' doesn't much matter, it's figure skating and to the average American viewer it's all a show.
Toni - You haven't exlplained why the announcement to switch them over to ESPN in the first place. Your rationale seems quite simplistic to me. Nothing special about switching back.

We'll agree to disagree..

Linny

Final Flight
Joan Collins?

Alissa skated to River by Joan Collins ("I wish I had a river to skate away on").

Mathman, Joan Collins is a actress best known for her role in the television show Dynasty.

Joni Mitchell is the influential song writer.

Linny

Methinks you knew this and were just checking to see if anyone is reading!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman, Joan Collins is a actress best known for her role in the television show Dynasty.

Joni Mitchell is the influential song writer.

Linny

Methinks you knew this and were just checking to see if anyone is reading!

Does Judy Collins also qualify as an influential song writer?

Oh. OK. What Linny said. :) (BTW this song is on the new James Taylor Christmas album.) Anyway, that was a really pretty show.

(Yeah, I know. If it was so darn pretty, why didn't I get up out of my easy chair and go down and watch it in person. :laugh: My sister in law has a little company that makes craft items. The name of the company is, "If It's So Cute, Why Don't You Buy It.")

It was a local show, shown on local TV, featuring skaters from the Detroit Skating Club and the Arctic Edge. But you could also go down and see it for free, outside.

The coolest part of the televsion coverage was when they panned to the children in the audience. They were just rapt, watching Alissa and the others. :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah, that's cool. Maybe a video will appear on YT so we can all watch it? :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm. When ABC negotiated the new contract with the ISU, they claimed that since they were putting the GP and the ISU Championships on ESPN, they weren't going to pay as much for the rights.

Now the GP is back on ABC. I wonder if Speedy will pitch a hissy fit.

Hmmm. When ABC negotiated the new contract with the ISU, they claimed that since they were putting the GP and the ISU Championships on ESPN, they weren't going to pay as much for the rights.

Exactly what I was wondering about the switching. I don't buy it has to do with the Holidays.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker

Maybe. Who knows...do we know all the details of this? For all we know things could have been "talked over". But I sort of doubt it.