Tom Collins Sells COI to AEG | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tom Collins Sells COI to AEG

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes her contract ran out. As for renewal who knows when... but I bet alot more than my lunch money it won't be this next season. What part of Kwan's statement "I am taking the year off from skating to return to school" doesn't compute with "Her name/photo is not included with the COI 2007-08 Tour"???

Once again I make the bold and oft riddiculed statement that Kwan's competitive career is over.... done... finished...and, of her own choice. Just because she has not stated so out loud doesn't mean the decision hasn't already been made. Will she skate in a Pro comp or on Tour in the future... that, I believe is a given.... but anyone hoping against hope for Michelle to appear at a future U.S. National Championship as a competitor, is going to get very tired waiting for it to happen.

As to the purchase of COI... the new owners have a very saavy marketing division and will retool both the tour and how it is promoted. Should give it new life. :clap:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

Once again I make the bold and oft riddiculed statement that Kwan's competitive career is over.... done... finished...and, of her own choice. Just because she has not stated so out loud doesn't mean the decision hasn't already been made. Will she skate in a Pro comp or on Tour in the future... that, I believe is a given.... but anyone hoping against hope for Michelle to appear at a future U.S. National Championship as a competitor, is going to get very tired waiting for it to happen.

As to the purchase of COI... the new owners have a very saavy marketing division and will retool both the tour and how it is promoted. Should give it new life. :clap:

That Michelle's competitive career is over has no bearing on whether she continues to skate for COI (you describe touring as "a given") -- unless you think that she is going to move to SOI.

What part of Kwan's statement "I am taking the year off from skating to return to school" doesn't compute with "Her name/photo is not included with the COI 2007-08 Tour"???
It's not about the 2007-08 tour, the puzzling thing is about last year's tour.

Michelle did skate on the 2006-07 tour, so it is strange that her picture has been removed from the page about "one more round of applause for the cast of last year's tour."

http://www.championsonice.com/skaters/

Maybe they are not permitted to use her image until they have her under contract again.

Last edited:
About the “conservative Christian” thing, taking the bad with the good, one of the causes that Philip Anschutz supports is promoting “wholesome family entertainment” for kids, to counter the influence of Hollywood sleaze. Backing a figure skating tour would be consistent with that view.

On balance, though, I think it is mostly a business decision on the part of the AEG group. They think it makes fiscal sense to add COI to their portfolio.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Maybe I'm wrong but now that it won't be Tom Collins running it, it would seem to me that maybe now she would go to Stars On Ice. She had stayed there before, one of many reasons, as she wouldn't go anywhere else as long as Tom was the master. I can't understand why the people that don't like figure skating
have it in for it. Not many run down the other sports. I guess I could but I have better things to do in my life.

I don't think the Christian aspect is so formidable in figure skating as the appeal of figure skating has on its audience.

Figure Skating attracts more little girls than it does adults. The parents of those little tots want to be assured that their kids are protected from any sort of questionable doings on or off the ice,

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

I quoted the wrong post of yours, it was http://www.championsonice.com/skaters/ that I saw the pic. If I had a dime for ever time I said oops, sorry....

I don't think the Christian aspect is so formidable in figure skating as the appeal of figure skating has on its audience.

Figure Skating attracts more little girls than it does adults. The parents of those little tots want to be assured that their kids are protected from any sort of questionable doings on or off the ice,

Joe
I agree on both. Parents do like to wrap their children in the "plastic protection bubble." It is to bad it is so commonly necessary to do so. But I would think FS has the least amount of "danger." Or at least is one of the less threatening. I could be wrong though.

I wonder what sport has the least amount of doping scandals??

Last edited:
Hey, you're right about the Michelle pic on the COI site. She doesn't have a small picture in the field on the right, with all the other skaters, but if you keep hitting "refresh" eventually she will come up on the left.

I quoted the wrong post of yours, it was http://www.championsonice.com/skaters/ that I saw the pic. If I had a dime for ever time I said oops, sorry....

I agree on both. Parents do like to wrap their children in the "plastic protection bubble." It is to bad it is so commonly necessary to do so. But I would think FS has the least amount of "danger." Or at least is one of the less threatening. I could be wrong though.

I wonder what sport has the least amount of doping scandals??
The tendency to pussyfoot Figure Skating is a part of the makeup of the sport. Not so when it was an all male sport. Scandals have hit figure skating but not in doping that we know of. I do think a pill or two just before you take the ice to calm the nerves is a lot more prevalent than we think. It is doping but too late to catch.

Dad always told me, it's not what you do, it's if you get caught.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I see the obvious -because of it's prevalence- of the eating disorders. And one time "pipe" incident. What other concerns might a parent have in having a child in FS?

I do see travel being an issue for some, but FS community seems like a good crowd in general. And even more so then say the volleyball group. I hear some wicked stories from my oldest niece.

I see the obvious -because of it's prevalence- of the eating disorders. And one time "pipe" incident. What other concerns might a parent have in having a child in FS?
It doesn't seem to bother the parents in Little League or Soccer where girls are also playing rough stuff.