4 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 151.52 3 5
5 Susanna POYKIO FIN 148.81 8 3
6 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 129.73 7 6
7 Christine ZUKOWSKI USA 123.59 6 7
8 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA 123.26 5 8
9 Nadege BOBILLIER FRA 109.88 9 9
10 Sonia RADEVA BUL 95.74 11 10
11 Candice DIDIER FRA 91.68 10 11

Looks like all three top ladies fell during their FP! Poykio must have had a fab skate but was too far behind after the SP to catch up:

Ladies - Free Skating

1 Yu-Na KIM KOR 119.32 63.04 57.28 7.35 6.90 7.15 7.20 7.20 1.00 #6
2 Miki ANDO JPN 109.42 57.70 52.72 6.80 6.50 6.55 6.65 6.45 1.00 #9
3 Susanna POYKIO FIN 105.87 54.83 51.04 6.60 6.10 6.40 6.40 6.40 0.00 #1
4 Kimmie MEISSNER USA 105.47 52.79 53.68 6.85 6.50 6.80 6.70 6.70 1.00 #10
5 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 92.60 42.24 51.36 6.70 6.25 6.35 6.55 6.25 1.00 #7
6 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 83.71 42.43 43.28 5.60 5.15 5.55 5.35 5.40 2.00 #3
7 Christine ZUKOWSKI USA 76.55 32.87 43.68 5.95 5.10 5.40 5.45 5.40 0.00 #11
8 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA 72.30 31.38 41.92 5.60 4.95 5.25 5.20 5.20 1.00 #8
9 Nadege BOBILLIER FRA 69.36 34.72 36.64 4.75 4.30 4.70 4.60 4.55 2.00 #2
10 Sonia RADEVA BUL 63.40 29.96 33.44 4.40 3.90 4.20 4.25 4.15 0.00 #5
11 Candice DIDIER FRA 59.26 26.10 34.16 4.55 4.05 4.20 4.40 4.15 1.00 #4

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Looking at the scores it looks like it was a total splatfest with one two or three ladies NOT falling in the their FS. Disappointed Joannie couldn't stay on the podium, and interesting the Kim beat Ando. Poykio's skate must have been a goodie. This is not an event I'm dying to watch, however, with most of the skaters apparently performing well under what they are capable of.

R.D.

Record Breaker
seems like Ando's on her way to the Final.

How about Kim and Meissner, though? Where do they stand? and Rochette, too?

Ando is in with 28 points (a 1st and a 2nd).
Kim is in with 26 points (1st and 3rd)
Rochette is almost surely in with 24 points, plus the tie-breaker over Meissner.
Meissner is probably in with 24 points.
Sebestyen :rock: needs 4th in Russia against a comparatively weak field to bump Meissner.
Suguri needs 3rd at NHK to reach 24 points.
Same with Nakano.
Mao Asada needs 2nd at NHK to reach 24 points.
Sarah Meier and Alissa Czisney could get 24 points if they win in Russia (Sokolova is a possible spoiler, but she can't make the finals herself.)

http://www.isufs.org/events/gp2006/gpsladies.htm

Actually, there are still lots of possibilities. Worst case scenario for Kimmie:

Russia: Meier (or Czisny), Czisny (or Meier), Sokolova, Sebestyen

Japan: Mao Asasda, Nakano, Suguri (scoring 168 points).

That puts Kimmie in ninth place.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought Alyssa only had SC. I didn't know she was doing Russia as well. Well, I hope she and Meissner make it.

I think the Japanese will be a force to be reckoned with at NHK.

I don't see Czisny or Meier winning Cup of Russia. It probably will be Sokolova or Sebestyen.

In NHK I see Asada as the likely winner. I don't know about Suguri or Nakano, though. They can switch places on the podium as well.

But, I always say better to struggle now. Meissner had a really average GP series last year (did she even podium in any events?) and yet finished the year on top.

rain

Record Breaker
I went and looked at the standings, then at the events that are left — my mind was blown — so many possibilities. NHK is once again a stacked field, while Cup of Russia is far weaker. Some ladies definitely had more luck of the draw than others this year.

And it's even crazier for dance.

... I don't know about Suguri or Nakano, though. They can switch places on the podium as well.
It is better for Kimmie if Suguri finishes ahead of Nakano. Suguri is on a pace to win the second tie-breaker over Kimmie, but Nakao is trailing.

I went and looked at the standings, then at the events that are left — my mind was blown — so many possibilities. NHK is once again a stacked field, while Cup of Russia is far weaker. Some ladies definitely had more luck of the draw than others this year.
And it's even crazier for dance.
ITA. I also looked them over. I'm not sure of the number of entrants allowed for GPF. If it is only 6 and not 8 which I thought they changed it to, then.....
Kimmie will be in trouble unless one of these have a bad hair day: Mao Asado; Fumie Suguri, Julia Sebestyen.

Lysacek and Preaubert look to be the only definite ones in the Final. The rest of the Field are so mixed up and much depends on Moscow and Nagano.

In Pairs, the following may join Innoue and Baldwin: Pet/Tik, Zhan/Zhang, Shen/Zhao, Obertas/Slavanov, Nari Nam/Leftheris, Marcoux/Buntin

In Dance, I just see it for those teams who are the current flavors of the month.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It is better for Kimmie if Suguri finishes ahead of Nakano. Suguri is on a pace to win the second tie-breaker over Kimmie, but Nakao is trailing.

Ah, good.

Suguri will surely get third at NHK. I'd be shocked if she fails to podium there. Sebestyen is very unpredictable, it seems. I thought she would have her usual meltdown but it didn't happen. The thing is that if she pulls it together she can easily place 4th or higher at COR, but not if she melts down.

Czisny will NOT win COR- mark my words. Sokolova will likely be somewhere on that podium.

8 is for the junior grand prix.

In men's, Preaubert may be on the bubble.

Lysacek is in with 28 points.

Joubert needs only a third in Russia, where his stiffest competition is Weir and Sandhu.

In NHK the podium will probably be Lambiel, Oda and Takahashi, in some order. Lambiel and Oda will definitely be in, and if Takahashi is only third he will be tied with Preaubert.

Either Weir or Sandhu (also Dobrin) can join the mix for the last spot by getting second in Russia.

So right now it looks like Lysacek, Lambiel, Oda and Joubert for sure (these are the four first place winners so far), with Preaubert, Takahashi, Weir and Sandhu fighting for the last two spots. Takahashi is the closest to holding his own fate in his hands, while the others will probably have to rely on the second tie-breaker.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Sad year

I personally thik it is a sad year for skating when the ladies world champion can't even get get close to winning an event. Wll she even make the podium at all this year at worlds? I'll correct myself. It's a sad year for US ladies skaing. I am in awe of Kim and so happy to see Miki staking her best and I think Asada will finish strong. I'm sorry that Kimmie has been put in such a challening position but I thought her artistic marks were highly inflated to win worlds in the first place. She will always be 2006 champion and that will never be taken away.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Remember, I try to pound this statement home. IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER. In other words, the GP is, and has been a really BAD indicator of how the 2nd half of the season can turn out. People that are struggling now can get their act together in time for Worlds. Conversely, those on fire now (think Ando) can cool off by December or March. And of course you have the "flatliners" that will keep on performing the way they are. But I think it's rare to see top skaters do that. Only MK and IS were regulars at that kind of thing (and Sasha to some extent, except for the 2006 season).

That said, remember Kimmie has to deal with something totally new this year: *DEFENDING* a title. It's always tougher to defend than it is to win in the first place. Even the best of champions seem to agree with that statement.

krenseby

Final Flight
I see it differently

I don't think Kimmie is out there to defend her title.

The field is so different from last year that no one assumes that Kimmie has to be on top.

When Michelle was World Champion in the late 90s/early 00s, she defender her title because she tended to be a notch above the other skaters and everyone assumed she had a very high probability of another win.

Most observers don't think that Kimmie is highly likely to win the Worlds this year. It is quite possible if she performs strongly, but there's about 3 other ladies skaters who have about the same chance of netting that title.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right. And add in the newfound position of being "the one to beat". I didn't think Kimmie would do well this year just because of those two facts. So far I have been wrong, but we need to wait until next year. I think she'll be on that World podium somewhere (barring injury).

Kimmie *may* not be out to defend her title NOW, but I bet she will at Worlds. :yes:

indicatoto101

On the Ice
Right. And add in the newfound position of being "the one to beat". I didn't think Kimmie would do well this year just because of those two facts. So far I have been wrong, but we need to wait until next year. I think she'll be on that World podium somewhere (barring injury).

Kimmie *may* not be out to defend her title NOW, but I bet she will at Worlds. :yes:

Last year, she won because she skated like she never did before, a lights out program (jump wise anyways) while SC imploded and Fumie didn't skate her best either. This year, however, it'll be much tougher for her to defend even if she skates perfectly, granted if her others also skate lights out. If all four skate their best, I don't think Kimmie will even be on the podium.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I disagree- I think if Kimmie can skate her BEST, regardless of what others do she'll be on the podium somewhere. This girl has 3-3's AND a 3A planned. It's if Kimmie FALTERS and the others capitalize on her mistakes (not making any themselves) that I see Kimmie placing lower than 4th. As the results here tell us, Kimmie doesn't seem to have too much room for error- at least compared to Cohen or Kwan or Slutskaya that can have sub-par performances and still podium. Kimmie is not one of those skaters yet and she needs to establish herself so she has more room for error. That's how you know you really ARE a top skater, IMO.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I disagree- I think if Kimmie can skate her BEST, regardless of what others do she'll be on the podium somewhere. This girl has 3-3's AND a 3A planned. It's if Kimmie FALTERS and the others capitalize on her mistakes (not making any themselves) that I see Kimmie placing lower than 4th. As the results here tell us, Kimmie doesn't seem to have too much room for error- at least compared to Cohen or Kwan or Slutskaya that can have sub-par performances and still podium. Kimmie is not one of those skaters yet and she needs to establish herself so she has more room for error. That's how you know you really ARE a top skater, IMO.

The question is if Kimmie is really capable of doing the triple axel fully rotated and landed in competition. I think Kimmie can place in the top 3, but I think Mao and Yu na are better than her ability to ability

Mehdi

On the Ice
Yes, splatfest.
Miki fell on her opening combination, triple lutz/triple loop, trying to do the second part of the combination (would have fallen anyway).
Yu-Na fell as well but I can't remember on what element. Maybe a second triple flip.
Kimmie did the triple lutz/triple toe, then went for the triple axel, made the rotation but couldn't stay on her feet. Nice try though.

Last edited: