Original Dance Report | Golden Skate

Original Dance Report

Anna

On the Ice
Hoffman/Elek

SBS stpes, twizzles, not in synch, CoSp, upturned camel // half B from her, he sits, RoLi, she does half-B on his shoulder, DiSt, CuLi

Worse than in Paris, somewhat messy, lines less than perfect, she is overdoing the expression.

Delobel/Schonfelder, Tango Volver

SBS steps, good, Sp with very painfully looking b2h and B from her, SlLi, she leans back he sits, DiSt, nice edges, CuLi, when her turn her upside down, change of pose, he is in spread eagle.

Very determined and serious, sharp, presice, good attitude.

Cappellini/LaNotte, Tango Oblivion

SBS steps good, SlLi she hangs upside down on his shoulder, Sp, DiSt, RoLi, 1 hand 3 rot, but she is keeping a tight hold on his arm...

Not as sharp and expressive as in Paris, but I still would have had them ahead of H&E.

Beknazarova/Zuev, Tango

SBS steps, twizzles not in sych, nRoLi, she hB on his shoulder, Sp, both sit to poor hB, DiSt, CuLi, rather ugly balance one, nearly fell out from the final pose

Messy lines and lots of scratching noise. My non-fan neighbour, though, liked them more than French and was very upset what they finished last... Speak of "general public" understanding of ice dance.

Frazer/Lukanin, Adios nonino?

SBS, tw way out of unison, not sure that they did the same number of rotations, Sp, funny version of b2h, he is the one keep her boot close to her head, CuLi, old upside down lift while he glides on 1 feet, he stumbled, DiSt, RoLi, she in split

Old tango FD zebra costume + a lift from that dance. Good to have a lot of experience, I suppose, can always come up with something comfortable you have done before... Still her posture is not for tango at all.

Domnina/Shabalin

SBS steps he stumbled and fell on the second tw, SlLi, nice balance one, Sp, Ok, DiSt, loads of character from both, RoLi.

Lots of expression and character, sharp, intense, but alas.... And he need to wash his hairs and find a way to keep them of his face, it's really distracting.

Belbin/Agosto, Concierto para Quinteto

SBS, very well done, esp. fast twizzles, SlLi, she leans back while he sits, Sp, ok, DiSt, RoLi, was it supposed to be 1 hand? but she hangs on his shoulders... shouldn't count, IMHO.

Still looks like thinking their way through in some places, but otherwise very well done, nice character, lines and attack.

Matthiews/Zavozin, Autumn in Buenos Aires

SBS, not in unison, SlLi, she leans back, while he sits, Sp, ok, DiSt, loads of character from her, I think she is overdoing it by a mile, RoLi, she in splits.

Trying too hard, IMHO, but otherwise good. Definitely better than H&E and F&L (I really cannot understand how did they finish so high).

Platonova/Maximishin

CoSp, SlLi, SBS, slow, poor flow esp. on tw, whihc were out of unison to top it, DiSt, RoLi, same as B&A, but done much slower.

They need to sell it better and connect to each other. Rather untidy impression overall.

Kerr/Kerr, Tango Verano Porteno, Libertango

DiSt, good character, SlLi, their "trademark" one, RoLi, Sp, SBS, tw not in unison

They don't have much chemistry between them. Good attack and lines, but they look like they are always coming just that tiny bit short of doing a real tango. Understandable that they are brother and sister, otherwise it would have been quite eeky, but they shouldn't have chosen this type of tango in this case. Could have done well with the European style tango or something "nostalgic" like Pechalat&Bourzat has done...

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for your report Anna. :clap:

However, people really need to get over the Kerrs being Bro & Sis.

IMO their OD is one of the best this season for true Tango character, with an Argentine flavour. Clearly Anna is not a fan, judging by her CD comments too, that's your opinion, but I believe their OD, created by Platov, is choreographically and stylistically very authentic - even in still photos you can see their excellent Tango carriage - and I'm glad they are skating much better in this competition than at SA.

Clearly a period of stability and training in one location has lead to improved performances and results. :)

Go Kerrs! :agree:

However, perhaps someone could explain the bizarre turnaround with the OD score of DomShabs. :confused:

This was the first result immediately after the OD was skated:

3 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR 51.88 26.60 25.28 6.60 6.55 6.60 6.75 6.75 0.00 #10
4 Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN RUS 51.78 23.50 29.28 7.70 7.65 7.50 7.75 7.85 1.00 #6

This is the latest result: PCS stayed the same

3 Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN RUS 52.36 24.08 29.28 7.70 7.65 7.50 7.75 7.85 1.00 #6
4 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR 51.88 26.60 25.28 6.60 6.55.60 6.75 6.75 0.00 #10

Suddenly some extra TES scores were found for DomShabs and the 3rd/4th places reversed. Bizarre. :think:

Computer error? :confused:

Any news on what that was all about Anna?

Consequently, you may see reports that the Kerrs were 3rd in the OD, then later they were 4th and DomShabs were 3rd. Very odd.

Last edited:

Anna

On the Ice
At the venue they showed D&S fourth in OD, I will ask what happened.

Re. Kerr, I like them, and they indeed have great choreo and carriage, but as I've said there is something missing from dance to make it really superb. Sensuality is the best way I can describe it. Sorry, if my reports sounded that negative, actually I rather like them, they just weren't really up there with the top 3 teams in CD. In OD they were clear third, IMHO.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
was it the venue?

Hmmm, could be Joe. I guess it was unprecedented for the new Official Russian No.1s to be scored lower than the GBR couple.......well, since T&D's day! ;)

Re. Kerr, I like them, and they indeed have great choreo and carriage, but as I've said there is something missing from dance to make it really superb. Sensuality is the best way I can describe it. Sorry, if my reports sounded that negative, actually I rather like them, they just weren't really up there with the top 3 teams in CD. In OD they were clear third, IMHO.

Thanks Anna for the extra info and your opinions. :agree:

It's all a bit of a mystery about the flipflop of DomShab's score. :confused:

I appreciate your comments about the Kerrs, certainly in the CD they are not up there with the very best at the moment, but they are improving all the time. I hope you will enjoy their FD Anna, thankyou for all your live reports. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnyskate

Spectator
I love their tango this year and I'm glad they are skating better at this competition. I was at SA and loved their dances but clearly the skates weren't their best.

I too would like to know what happened with the results flip flopping???

Do you feel that way about the Zaretskis sibling team? I look at skating rather than genetics. I've seen brothers and sisters dance together and they have fun.

Joe

Anna

On the Ice
Well, I haven't seen Z&Z doing tango (outside CDs, but CD tangos are usually quite chaste), so I simply do not know. Besides, as I have said, my impression from their skating is what it's not *me* who is thinking of genetics here, it's them. They just do not cross that line towards sensuality that makes tango complete. They do have goods to do an excellent tango, but I doubt the wisdom of choosing Libertango, Argentine and a very passionate one at that, instead of something European or less fierce Argentine...

But it's just IMHO, of course, your impression might be completely different.