Where's this Global Warming? | Golden Skate

Where's this Global Warming?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Al Gore promised me global WARMING and I'm not seeing it.

Ok so really I haven't watched or read his latest 'greatest' rant on the current global warming situation, I doubt I'd agree with him on most if any of his points. lol. And this isn't so much a political rant as it's a "I'M STINKIN SICK OF THIS COLD!" I'm ready for our next 'warm winter' we are due for one in the next couple of years... it's steadily -15 to -20 degrees at night, and about +3 during the hight of the day... I am FREEZING! I don't care if I was born and raised here in Alaska... this sucks!!!

just ignore this frozen iceball of a person sitting in the corner mumbling to herself... they say it's a sign of hypothermia...:laugh:

anya_angie

Final Flight
LOL well how's this for global warming: The past few days in my hometown of Perryopolis in Western PA, it has been frosting at night, then it goes into the 60s in the afternoon. Today it was 69 degrees! In almost December! Usually we'd have snow by now!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
usually we would too, but it's been SO COLD that it is TOO COLD to SNOW! ack!

wanna trade??? ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - you all are bragging! *pouts, while freezing*

anya_angie

Final Flight
Aww, I'll trade LOL!

Stay warm hon! *tosses heavy-duty electric blanket turned on high for buddy*

Jhar55

Medalist
Well its been in the high 60's / 70 here
Enjoying it while I can because one day its going to be COLD
We don't get lot of snow, been here about 20yrs and only been snowed in twice thats 2x's to many :laugh: but it gets cold

We're pushing 70 in NYC. That's a beautiful Spring day. Seems like global warming is keeping Santa off his reindeers and taking oil pipe line down to the stockings hung out on the porch.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Now, Toni, see what you set off? A whole string of "hee hee" posts, which I will not add to by telling you how it is down here in SoCal.... (Or maybe I just did... :laugh: )

Anyway -- without getting into any kind of debate about the matter myself, I will submit that Alaska in November is probably not the place to properly assess whether or not there is global warming. At least not at this point. In 20 years, maybe. The effects of it take longer to see the further north you go, except for the melting of the polar ice caps, which as I understand it is how they've been measuring these things.

And I WILL trade ya..... I'm tempted to go back to Oregon for the next couple of months just to have NORMAL WINTER WEATHER.... all this stuff down here can just freak you out after a while....... :laugh: :laugh:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
As many of you have probably noticed, repoprts on global warming are cyclical, much like actual climate patterns.....
There tends to be much more (media reporting, that is) on the subject in the summer months (when it's an easier sell...) as well as in southern or large metro aeras, (where it's an easier sell.....) than in the winter an/or north.......

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We have a huge snow storm happening here right now in Lotus Land - (Vancouver and surrounding lower mainland in British Columbia). We just endured the Pineapple Express from Hawaii - we were convinced we really are experiencing global warming - until today that is - now we are getting an arctic front. So much for our warm tropical winter we were informed about for this winter. Lacing up my muklucks.....

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Vancouver weather is just strange anyway, at least it has been every time I've been there. LOVE the city, think it's the most beautiful, friendly city in the world, but every time I go there, I experience about 5 different climates over the course of one day....:laugh: I always end up having to go back to the hotel room every 2 1/2 hours and change clothes AGAIN.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
It's 64 F as of, now. But by this Thursday it's supposed to snow. Every season has it's way of working it'self into the next, really. Though, it's never predictable how the weather will do that.

Hang in there, Toni! :)

nubka

Final Flight
Ugh... snow falling today in the top of Utah. I've already been outside to scrape all the wet snow off of my VW Beetle.

April and May...where are you...???

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
The year we lived in Maine, and boy was it cold, we learned it couldn't get too cold to snow. We had always heard that phrase too but no matter what, it never got too cold to snow. Our coldest (and it was a really warm winter for them, lucky for us) was 30 below. Do you have a vaporizer or some way to simmer water? It doesn't feel nearly as cold if you do that. Got a heating pad?
Of course, space heaters work well and aren't real expensive but doubt college students can afford them or the electric bill. An oven can work too. Do you have a washer and dryer? Should be all sorts of alternatives but don't burn your apartment down! :rofl:
The weather here has been mostly mild for winter but have had some pretty cold ones. Nothing like up there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I live with my aunt so bills are not my thing... but she won't let me crank up the heat to where I want it...

as for the whole idea of northerners not able to see effects of global warming yet, if that were the case we wouldn't have so many conventions up here where they all can 'prove' by looking at 'Alaska' that the world will end soon because of global warming... I just want to see this warming happen not just in summer but winter too... (you never see those conventions in the winter up here... lol)

we got a spitting of snow yesterday... and then nothing else... and I'm still cold *pouts*

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
i spent the holidays in STL and I had to borrow my mom's flip-flops, my shoes would'v been to hot to wear even w/o the socks! It was high 60's and low 70's. Amazing. When I flew out of Albany, it was mid 30's. On Sunday (in STL), I met friends for breakfast and we had it outside. Typically, end of November in STL is more like high 40's, low 50's.

Stay warm.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I see thew points of weather and how snow is dumping..yadda yadda.

As far as the global warming issue, that is just a fact, deal with it. This sounds like what Rush Limbah was saying years ago when he was on TV. One week latter her went back to radio for the TV was cut. What kind of braggart loud mouth is going to be stupid enough to use accounts of a snow storms over a 2 week period of time to discount what scientists have been studying for years? Oh yah, idiot Rush.

Everyone is seeing the effects. Longer periods of dryness and the all of the sudden a big dump. BUT LOOK AT THE AVERAGE accumulation. Also northern territories colds are not staying as consistent, warmer days up there and down below. Just because there is a big dump of snow and it is record cold does not mean Global warming is not happening. As a matter of fact it is proof it is.

A week of certain weather does not erase the past month's.

There is also a lot that has to do with tides, and weather patterns. These might make one area reach records where as the majority of the world is reaching all time lows in precip and higher temps.

People should stop their petty whining about particular individuals political view points, and realize it is a real thing based on science. Just because some political figure, that someone might disagree with, is behind bringing awareness to the issue is a pathetic reason to discount what science is finding. We have a huge dump of snow going on right now but also have been through one of the driest Novembers on record. One instance does not invalidate the whole case.

Last note. The term is GLOBAL, not just the area one person lives in, areas will have different effects. Here is some literature on the most Northern US state. Rather than opinion based on dislike for political parties - having nothing to do with science other then the biggest supporters for researching the effects we have on the planets "health.".
http://www.nwf.org/globalwarming/pdfs/Alaska.pdf.

Last edited:
All very true Seanibu. Scientifically there is global warning. Politically, the blame for it is on the oil digging. Maybe it's too late.