Locks for Love | Golden Skate

Locks for Love

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Have any of you heard of this group? My friend cut off twelve inches and donated it.
It seems like a nice charity.

Last edited:

babyoscar

On the Ice
Locks of Love

I heard they are a fraud. Try Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.

They are NOT fraud. They have been around for quite a long time. Locks of Love works with children that needs hair where as from what I had read, that Pantene's program works with adults in general.

http://www.locksoflove.org/

Pantene's info
http://hairloss.about.com/b/a/256083.htm

Yes, there was one time where some guy decided to store all the cut hair in his home and the police found them. However, there was no report he was directly related to Locks of Love. Fantastic Sams used to work with LOL where they would cut your hair for free if you donate them and your hair had to be at least 10 inches. But I don't think Fantastic Sams does that anymore at least not the one around here. Back months ago, the Today show host Anne Curry donated her hair publically where the LOL people came in and cut Anne's hair during the Today Show segment. There are lots of people do this.

I have donated my hair 3 times for this charity. I have always gotten a little postcard back from them thanking me for the hair. It is a good charity that really doesn't cost you any money. The lady that just cut my hair recently (about 3 weeks ago) said I need to not do LOL for a year or two to let my scalp recover. Apparently doing this year after year really put stress on my scalp. Although she said I still got great hair. :biggrin:

Alsace

On the Ice
I've also donated to Locks of Love, and got a free haircut at a nice salon because I was donating more than 10 inches.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah mine was free, save for the styling of my hair after the cut...

babyoscar

On the Ice
Locks of Love

I sent my hair in (12 inches or so) back in end of November. I got a little postcard back like the 1st week of January. Out here near where I live, the Fantastic Sams didn't do the hair cut deal. So I did have to pay for the hair cut.

dutchherder

Final Flight
I have a friend who cuts her hair every New Year's Eve and donates it to Locks of Love. It's no fraud.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I don't know anything about any man keeping hair in his home. What I heard was that LoL uses about ten percent or less of the hair they get for wigs for children. The rest they sell to professional wig-makers and keep the dough. Secondly, they don't donate they wigs they do make to kids, the kids and/or their families have to pay for them (sliding scale). Thirdly, the wigs don't go to kids with cancer, they go to kids with alopecia or some other permanent or long term hair loss. I guess they assume the ones with cancer will either grow their hair back or die. Fourthly, they don't even meet the BBB's standards for a reputable charitable organization.

Maybe things have changed from what I have heard multiple places, or maybe the things I've heard are popular urban legends. I'm just saying what I've heard. Maybe I shouldn't not have stated my original post so definitively. And that's all I have to say about that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it would be promoted like it is by reputable news sources and morning shows if it didn't work. Ann Curry from Dateline and the Today Show donated her hair during one of the Today Show episodes.

babyoscar

On the Ice
Locks of Love

I don't know anything about any man keeping hair in his home. What I heard was that LoL uses about ten percent or less of the hair they get for wigs for children. The rest they sell to professional wig-makers and keep the dough. Secondly, they don't donate they wigs they do make to kids, the kids and/or their families have to pay for them (sliding scale). Thirdly, the wigs don't go to kids with cancer, they go to kids with alopecia or some other permanent or long term hair loss. I guess they assume the ones with cancer will either grow their hair back or die. Fourthly, they don't even meet the BBB's standards for a reputable charitable organization.

Maybe things have changed from what I have heard multiple places, or maybe the things I've heard are popular urban legends. I'm just saying what I've heard. Maybe I shouldn't not have stated my original post so definitively. And that's all I have to say about that.

If you actually go to Locks of Love's site, they address the problems you have mentioned. They don't just help cancer patients. They do help out other patients who have hair loss as well. And yes, they do sell the hair for money, considering it IS expensive to have a real hair wig made (I looked it up a few years back out of curosity).

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't think there's anything wrong with selling the hair/wigs to other people who can afford it. As long as the money is going to help cancer patients, they are helping.

Most of the clothing dropped in those collection containers is sold by the pound. The good pieces are typically re-sold in foreign countries by the company that bought the clothing. The shabby stuff is torn up and sold as rags. The charity earned the money when they sold the lot. The charity itself does not have the resources or manpower to make the most with the clothes collected. I still drop stuff off because I'd rather recycle stuff I don't wear anymore vs throwing it away.

Jhar55

Medalist
I also take all my unwanted good clothes to thoes collection places. I no longer wear it so someone might al well get some good use out of it. If it's given away or sold in one of their stores, it's new to someone who is in need.