Kim vs. Asada | Golden Skate

Kim vs. Asada

d12p

Rinkside
This seems to be the up and coming rivalry in women's skating. I don't think there are two young skaters as technically and artistically developed as these two. It should be interesting to see what happens at the Grand Prix Final. Personally, if both skated clean programs, I would have to pick Yu-Na. Even without the triple axel (although she can do one....just hasn't tried it in competition yet), I think her jumps are better and she has much nicer lines and better spins.

What do you think?

I guess Miki is a factor for the future as well, but she's inconsistent so who knows. If you think about it, despite all of the criticsm that these two have received from their recent GP performances, I think that Kim and Asada are miles ahead of any other female skaters who burst onto the scene in the past. Kwan, Lipinski, Hughes, Ando--even the less successful skaters like Ota, Nari-Nam, and Stellato---none of them had as complete of packages as Kim and Asada.

They're both marvelously talented but at least this year Miki is very competitive with them. She projects fire and energy and she is just plain gorgeous, in a womanly way. She's a little out of control, but so beautiful, like a firebird. All three of them are magnificent and whoever wins, you know the others are going to be back... for quite some time to come, if they all stay healthy.

The GPF should be fantastic.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
This seems to be the up and coming rivalry in women's skating. I don't think there are two young skaters as technically and artistically developed as these two. It should be interesting to see what happens at the Grand Prix Final. Personally, if both skated clean programs, I would have to pick Yu-Na. Even without the triple axel (although she can do one....just hasn't tried it in competition yet), I think her jumps are better and she has much nicer lines and better spins.

What do you think?

I guess Miki is a factor for the future as well, but she's inconsistent so who knows. If you think about it, despite all of the criticsm that these two have received from their recent GP performances, I think that Kim and Asada are miles ahead of any other female skaters who burst onto the scene in the past. Kwan, Lipinski, Hughes, Ando--even the less successful skaters like Ota, Nari-Nam, and Stellato---none of them had as complete of packages as Kim and Asada.

I have a different opinion from the above...

In terms of what I've seen so far this season, I think Miki is way more consistent than either of the phenoms.

Mao, who seems to rely very heavily on her triple axle - when that's not working, she's a mess. Plus, her not having the full set of jumps, makes me wonder about her.

Miki, on the other hand, has developed her artistic piece along with her mad jumping skills and right now looks like the early favorite for worlds... I also like that she looks like an ice goddess vs. a little girl who can jump... Plus, she has the quad on record.

For me, the jury is still out on Kim. I can see why everyone is so crazy for her, but I've decided to give her another year on the senior circuit before I have an opinion.

As to the other points about the immediate impact of the Kwan, Tara, Hughes, etc. and their packages, I so disagree with that...
Kwan had a maturity at 15 that was astounding along with a technical ability that blew one away...

Tara had a joy & fierceness in competition that made you forget some of her technical issues

Hughes is called a one hit wonder, but if you look at her competitive record & confidence in her ability, it really wasn't surprising that she was able to step-up when it counted.

But I do understand that for many fans the desire to annoint the newbys as the next generation of great champs, its important to dismiss the phenoms of the past & their contribution.

gio

Medalist
Asada, Kim, Miki and Kimmie. In the near future I'll add also Zhang.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Mao, who seems to rely very heavily on her triple axle - when that's not working, she's a mess. Plus, her not having the full set of jumps, makes me wonder about her.

Mao has the best short program of this season; she's beautiful in that.

She can do the 3Sal, I've seen, it's just her least consistent jump (I assume) and so she chooses not to do it. I really wish she would, though. The jump layout of her long program is quite boring. She doesn't seem to really feel the music of her LP either.

~Z

gio

Medalist
What about choosing the music that Midori Ito used for her 88 SP. I loved it! I think it will be good also for Mao.

doug_log

On the Ice
As for consistency, Miki wins. Both Mao and Yuna have missed jumps here and there. Miki missed ONE jumping pass all GP season, and it wasn't a bad fall. She simply lost the edge as she was going up for the loop in her Lutz-Loop combination. The fact that, after that mistake, she went on to complete a technically perfect program says A LOT about her consistency.

And Kimmie...I think she has the best and most intricate LP choreography this season. I think she and Miki have improved the most. We knew Yuna and Mao would be special, but a lot of us counted Miki out and as for Kimmie...the faith wasn't there.

Kimmie's just not as elegent as Yuna, not as passionate as Miki, and not as neat Mao. But overall, especially if she hits her jumps...she's right up there, y'all. I'm in no way counting her out for Worlds. I hardly consider this a two-way race. There are 4 ponies out there...who's yours?

R.D.

Record Breaker
All Four of them have a shot at the Big Step. We might have our new Four Divas to replace the old Four Divas. But it's all about who can stand up that night and who can't. If Kimmie stands up but the others can't she wins. If Mao stands up and the others don't she wins.

I wasn't one of the people who counted Miki out. Still though, I don't know whether she can keep performing at her peak up until March. We don't know enough about Asada and Kim to know how they'll do later on, and it's more likely than not that Kimmie will skate better later than now (although it's also a tad too soon to tell for her).

I think Mao is the one.

Mao has a for real triple Axel. if she is the only lady who can really do it, she has the same advantage that a man would have if he were the only one capable of doing a quad.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Agreed.

It's not just the 3Axle, though. The consistency of all her other jumps is very high as well. She's only messed up on one non-Triple Axle jumping pass all season (the same as Miki Ando).

~Z

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I really like all three of the top young skaters: Mao, Yu-Na, and Kimmie. What impresses me is that all three are complete skaters; they're strong both artistically and technically. It's rare to see young skaters who are strong in both areas.

All three girls are amazingly talented, however, to me, Mao Asada is truly something special. I think she's one of the most gifted skaters I've ever seen. Yes, she still has areas to develop, and we don't yet know how she'll hold up under the pressure of top-level competition. However, I feel that she has the potential to be one of the greatest champions the sport has ever seen. And the competition between her, Yu-Na, and Kimmie could become one of the all-time great rivalries. I think as fans, we're going to be lucky to watch this!

As for Miki Ando--I'm never been a fan of hers. She's doing better technically this year. But her posture is so terrible. Am I the only one who notices this? The slumped back, round shoulders, and poorly placed arm positions are so distracting, it's impossible for me to enjoy her skating.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I hate to be the dissenter here, but Mao's LP is BORING. If she misses the 3 Axel, the rest of the program is bad because she skates disinterested. When she's on technically, she only does crossovers between the jumps (which aren't particularly powerful nor does she go as blazing fast as Kwan, Ito, Arakawa, Suguri, etc) and drops her arms on the entries to her jumps (especially noticeable on the 3flip). She's found the Bielman loophole for her program. I am not particularly impressed with her spinning ability either as they tend to be slow, travelly and the positions not the best (especially the sit).

Kim seems to have it together but she's missing the 3Sal and 3loop in the program I've seen. That could bite her later on. Her spins are very nice and so is her transition work.

Meissner likes putting herself in a hole in the SP in the GP this season. She's got to gain consistency there as this season progresses or else the top step will not be calling her name. She has definitely improved a great deal in her PCS mark, stroking, and spirals. I think she's got the best spins of the minors playing in this game. (Asada, Kim and Meissner since Ando is now 18)

Ando has shown a great deal of improvement. She needs to keep her head about her. I believe she's the one to beat.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Meissner likes putting herself in a hole in the SP in the GP this season.

Lol...I wouldn't say she LIKES doing it, it's just that she does
dunno.gif