People keep yelling at me over the phone when I am watching skating | Golden Skate

People keep yelling at me over the phone when I am watching skating

Johar

Medalist
It happened again yesterday. My brother called and screamed at me while I was watching. He went into a rage about how I hadn't visited mom in the nursing home and said he was tired of making excuses for me before hanging up.

Two weeks ago I was watching skating when my mom called and chewed me out for something i hadn't done.

Earlier a psycho ex called while I was watching and said to leave him alone, even though I hadn't called, emailed him or had any contact with him in a month. Well, he really was crazy. Enough to need professional "help."

Who wants to call me next time and chew me out while I watch skating!? :biggrin:

I know just what you mean! At the very moment the final four took the ice in the Marshall's contest yesterday, my sister-in-law calls all in a frenzy and I have to jump up and take my niece out to her sister's house where she just got kicked out (having previously got kicked out of her mother's house) and pick up all her clothes that were strewn all over the front lawn.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I feel for both of you, and it sounds like a bad situation to have to deal with, but one bit of advice - Don't answer the phone during skating.:laugh:

Johar

Medalist
I'm not anymore, especially after last night. It would be sad if it wasn't so funny, though. :)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I seldom answer my telephone if I am watching skating on TV. Same with answering the door. It's not so bad anymore as there are fewer events on TV to watch but most of my friends & family know what I'm like.

Petlover

On the Ice
A couple of years ago, I told my mom that I would be watching a specific skating event on my birthday, what time it was, and that I was really looking forward to it, so don't call me during that time. I deliberately unplugged the phone in the family room, and let the other phones go to the answering machine where I could not hear them. Before the skating, no one called me. After the skating was over, I found messages from my mom, my sister, and a couple of cousins, asking me where I was since I had told my mom I would be home during the skating show and that it was a good time to call me! My mom and my sister were particularly mad at me, they said I should have picked up since they were more important than a tv show, by the way we are not very close, my sister and I rarely talk! Anyhow, I just laughed, and now never tell my mom when I want to watch a particular show, since she takes great delight in calling me during that show to prove she is more important, and then chewing me out when I don't answer the phone, after I have told her I will not answer the phone during a particular show. I do truly love my mom and sister, but they drive me nuts!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We sort of have "trained" close family members & friends not to call us during figure skating events. There are still times when we take the phone off the hook, especially during a competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This is a cute thread. I have a large family and every time I sit down to watch skating a family member would either drop by unexpectedly or telephone me about some type of drama that was going on in their lives. It can be so annoying.
I usually will not answer the telephone. I tried not answering my door but my sister lives on the same street as me so my family members will go to her house and inquire about my whereabouts and before you know it there is an APB out on me. In the past I would just tape the darn program that way if I am interrupted I won't miss out.

heyang

Record Breaker

I Agree!! TiVo rocks! No need to wait til the program's over - you can just pick up right where you left off......You can pause for up to 1/2 an hour before it start playing again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
normally I'm online and still have dial up

and people know they can chat whil eI'm watching skating... as long as it's about said skating lol

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
While I do sympathize with the situation, I must share with you with one of the main laws that govern my life (and, admittedly, REALLY ticks a lot of people off):

THERE IS NO STATE OR FEDERAL LAW WHICH STATES THAT YOU HAVE TO ANSWER THE PHONE WHEN IT RINGS.

:laugh: :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the other side of this issue, may I add that we have some family members & friends (who know how much we love this sport) who actually call us on the phone to remind us that figure skating is on (a few minutes before the broadcast). I think that's pretty cool & considerate of them. :laugh: ;)

dutchherder

Final Flight
Okay-- now somebody tell me what to do when my husband decides to start loudly playing with the dogs while I'm watching skating. :scratch:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like there are a lot of Passive aggressive people in the dutchherder world. Sounds like some therapy is needed for all of them. If I were in that situation I would be really tiered of people "passively" pushing me around. Tell him if he doesn't cool his aggressive jets you are going to send him to therapy.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its all about planning ahead...

See, the key is to develop really sharp claws all year long... that way, when people call you during a skating comp & you go all... "why are you calling me? are you bleeding, stranded, dying or decapitated? then don't call me... I swear. the nerve. the unmittigated gall." People tend to respect my boundries... even if I have developed a reputation of being a bit cold & "witchy" But hey, they know better...;)

As for my husband & son... since they aren't phased by my Exorcist impersonation during skating, I bribe them with stuff & during Nationals, I always buy them tickets somewhere... a hockey game, lazer tag, etc... that way, everybody is happy... esp. if I'm happy... :yes:

I do get alot of phone calls informing me that skating is on... I also get alot of calls when skating is on asking if I made my oh-so famous hot wings... you know us Kwan fans & our chicken!!;)