Best Of... | Golden Skate

Best Of...

dutchherder

Final Flight
I was thinking (very dangerous): Wouldn't it be cool if there were DVD's of "The Best Of (insert skater's name here)? You know, like the Saturday Night Live Best of Will Ferrell, or Chris Farley, or whomever. Those would sell like hotcakes! How many copies would "The Best of Michelle Kwan" sell? Answer: a bunch!

Sometimes I'm so good I scare myself. I should be making millions of dollars. :laugh: :cool:

ID Nurse

Rinkside
I agree it is a great idea! It most likely would never happen, though. The problems are multiple. First of all, the networks that actually broadcast the program own the performances, not the skaters. And, the most difficult part would be getting the music rights.
So, say Michelle wanted to put out a "best of" DVD. First, she or her agents would need to negotiate with each network to get the ok to use the video from each separate performance, and then she would have to get the ok to use each separate piece of music from the music licensing end. The networks and the music licensing agency wouldn't do it for free--it would cost a fair amount of money. You would have to sell a heck of a lot of DVD's to make the effort and the monetary costs worth it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I agree it is a great idea! It most likely would never happen, though. The problems are multiple. First of all, the networks that actually broadcast the program own the performances, not the skaters. And, the most difficult part would be getting the music rights.
So, say Michelle wanted to put out a "best of" DVD. First, she or her agents would need to negotiate with each network to get the ok to use the video from each separate performance, and then she would have to get the ok to use each separate piece of music from the music licensing end. The networks and the music licensing agency wouldn't do it for free--it would cost a fair amount of money. You would have to sell a heck of a lot of DVD's to make the effort and the monetary costs worth it.

That is all TO true. I was trying to get a "iTunes" type of skating clips available for download for a buck or 2. But it comes out being a nightmare of who and what get how much of and where....blaa blaaa. I give the idea freely for there is no one that is going to make money from it except the network and the MAYBE the musical artist if they really fight for it or it was in the contract regarding the use of the music in the first place. And if the music is royalty free, the network will still have all the rights to pocket the cash. Leaving the skaters with zich. Maybe Kurt B could get someone to give rights, but not this kid. It was a ton of bricks - or the Networks are going to take the idea and make something like that for all sports they have the rights to. I agree though, a best of a single skater would be a great thing, but hashing out who aired what and this is worth more then that and ABC gets more then.... The amount made likely wouldn't pay off the attorney fees.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I've been wanting something like that for a bit, now. It's too difficult for a fan to get good quality if they're just doing Round Robins or even downloading. I want something where I can get a buttload of "the best of.." of whichever skater. Hopefully, "they'll" do something like that someday. :)