Predictions? Favorites? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions? Favorites?

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Do you think he will stay with singles over dance if he gets JGP in both?

I've heard that Paul loves dance - more than freeskate and although he has tremendous potential in freeskate I think his heart would lean him towards dance if the choice had to be made. He's still young though - at barely 15 he is a few years younger than Scott Moir so could keep freeskating for a while.

Why should pairs be the only discipline that allows skaters to pursue a singles career as well? I just wouldn't want to be paying the skating bills. Maybe if Paul and Vanessa do well this year there will be more funding for them and the expense of doing two disciplines won't be as big an issue.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Senior Ladies - Joannie will win first and Mira second. Third could be a dogfight between Hawker , Billings, Phaneuf ( I think she will pass Mira next year with a full year to get consistency in the jumps back - the good sign is that she at least did a triple lutz in sectionals SP even though she did nothing more than triple toe in LP) , Duhamel, and Samson. I have a feeling this might be the last year that Mira finishes second because it looks like Phaneuf will eventually get her form back. Also hopefully Duhamel will have an injury free year next season.

To hold hope for Phaneuf is absolutely nuts. She was not consistent before puberty monster struck, and she will never get her jumps consistent in the future.
Puberty monster hits her extremely hard. With a body frame over 5'7, I just can't imagine how it is possible for her to continue skating career. If Canadian federation decides to send her to international competitions, it will likely be an embarrassment since she'll lmake Bebe's one triple performance at NHK look fine.

She should not have gotten that silver medal in 2004/2005 season with an embarrasing FP. Since Canadian federation seems to enjoy embarrassing themselves, I won't be surprised they will overmark her again.

She is done.

bems

Rinkside
Dear Coach:

This will be my last posting in the debate on the restructured Senior qualifying process for Canadians to be proposed in an amendment to be put forth at the Annual Convention and General Meeting held in May or June 2007. My position is not to criticize but to question and make certain we keep an open mind.

Benoit Lavoie has said in his recent President’s message that, “to some athletes, reaching and competing at the national championships is their ultimate goal and may represent the pinnacle of their season.”

To have last years top 12 skaters go direct to next years Canadians tarnishes the very dream our President encourages.

The reward for this group of 12 is funded international competition plain and simple. Once the year is over, like other sports, they must challenge and earn their spot. Perhaps this means they get a bye to the Challenge event but not to Canadians. They too need to feel the pressure of earning their status. We all know that a portion of the top 12 would be significantly challenged to maintain their positions if they were put under the true pressure of a real competition annually.

To suggest that other Senior competitors not in the top 12 need more unfunded competitions at their own expense is not the answer. They need to feel the competition of the Nationals event with the best of the best. To create more hoops for them to qualify is not the answer. To include them brings so much more to the growth of our sport.

In a truly competitive environment, the best of Canada will rise to the top.

I am sorry to have interrupted the wonderful predictions which I continue to read with interest.

See you in Halifax!

Last edited:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
'iloveaxel' if you think that Mira is going to beat Joannie you have rocks in your head.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
To hold hope for Phaneuf is absolutely nuts. She was not consistent before puberty monster struck, and she will never get her jumps consistent in the future.
Puberty monster hits her extremely hard. With a body frame over 5'7, I just can't imagine how it is possible for her to continue skating career. If Canadian federation decides to send her to international competitions, it will likely be an embarrassment since she'll lmake Bebe's one triple performance at NHK look fine.

She should not have gotten that silver medal in 2004/2005 season with an embarrasing FP. Since Canadian federation seems to enjoy embarrassing themselves, I won't be surprised they will overmark her again.

She is done.

I disagree! Have you taken a look at the international competititors that are not tiny little women? Let's not forget that Jennifer Robinson was 5'7" and she fared well on the international stage for Canada. Take a look at the up and coming Junior women --- I'd say there's a good handfull that are not 5' but closer to the 5"5 - 5'8" mark. A number of our top 10 Senior women are also tall......Lesley Hawker is not short, neither is Erin Scherrer,.

The problem with being tall is if a skater grows too quickly and doesn't learn to adapt. Many skaters who are quick rotators when they are pre-pubescent --- can't jump once they get hips and gain the weight of puberty. However, those skaters who get their triples later and maintain a slim body naturally - tend to become powerful jumpers and become a force on the ice.

Cythnia may or may not be able to adjust to coming back from both an injury and her growth spurt -- but let's give her (and all other taller skaters) a chance to succeed before we write them off based on physical characteristics.

BTW - I have seen a very short, overweight skater perform beautiful jumps and great artistry on the ice , and skaters with the 'perfect' small body type unable to skate.

rain

Record Breaker
Canadians will be really interesting this year.

The top two in dance are fairly easy to predict, IMO, as D/L will be gold, and V/M silver. Third is more of a toss-up as L/M have not improved as was once predicted for this team and others may surpass them. They still have the edge for bronze though, IMO.

Rochette will take ladies barring injury, and likely Leung will take silver again, though I would love to see some other ladies challenge her for it. I just hope Phaneuf makes top 7-5 as I'm rooting for the comeback.

In Pairs it will be a real fight. The edge for gold has to go to M/B who have established themselves as Canada's top team. I hope D/D are well enough to take silver and even challenge for gold. L/H, P/W and W/F can also challenge for medals, though none have improved as much as I would have hoped when I first saw them.

In Mens I still think the favorite is Buttle, in spite of the injury and lack of skating this season. Sandhu has been so inconsistent that I could see some of the other men challenging him this year for the silver. Chan, Sawyer, Maybee, and Chipeur all have a shot at a medal.

dale

Spectator
I think Karam/McGrath will finish in the 6th to 8th range. They did beat McCurdy/Coreno at Nebelhorn. The other couple to watch for there is Findlay/Dougherty who finished an impressive 8th last year considering it was Findlay's first year doing ice dance.

It is pretty much done that Crone/Porier will go to junior worlds. I can see Poirier continuing singles a little longer but Crone has not had good results in singles ( did not make it out of sectionals in novice ladies ) . Poirier might even get JGP's in dance and singles next year ( he is one of the top novice men at the moment)

It will be interesting nonetheless. It is anyone's game. McCurdy/Coreno did beath Kararm/McGrath in the Freedance at Nebelhorn, so you never know. It will be a great competition in Senior all around for Dance, Men, Ladies and Pairs. Best of Luck to everyone. Skate your best and enjoy.:clap: :clap: :clap:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hope that Sandhu dosn't make the podeum this year. He hasn't been skating well since the olympics last year, hopefully not making the world team will wake him up. I say that Buttle will take the gold, Sandhu's too inconsistant and the others aren't quite there yet. I think that Patrick Chan could win the silver and I think that he will be on the podeum. This hasn't been a great year for Canadian mens skating.
Women: Rochette will win, Leung can probably hold on to second, thirds up for grabs.
I'd like D/D to win the title this year, but M/B have been skating really well this year.

lutzskate

On the Ice
I hope that Sandhu dosn't make the podeum this year. He hasn't been skating well since the olympics last year, hopefully not making the world team will wake him up. I say that Buttle will take the gold, Sandhu's too inconsistant and the others aren't quite there yet. I think that Patrick Chan could win the silver and I think that he will be on the podeum. This hasn't been a great year for Canadian mens skating.
Women: Rochette will win, Leung can probably hold on to second, thirds up for grabs.
I'd like D/D to win the title this year, but M/B have been skating really well this year.

Sandhu's basic skating skills, spins, his stretch, choreography, etc. will enable him to accumulate enough points to surpass the other lower ranked skaters, even if he does "implode" and misses all his jumps.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sandhu's basic skating skills, spins, his stretch, choreography, etc. will enable him to accumulate enough points to surpass the other lower ranked skaters, even if he does "implode" and misses all his jumps.
If he misses alot of jumps maybe not. and he is slow this year and his spins haven't been great. He was dreadful at CoR. Don't get me wrong, I would love him to skate as well as he can, but I don't think it will ever happen. He needs to take skating seriously or quit.

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
Ladies:
1.Rochette
2.Leung
3.Phaneuf
4.Lacoste
5.Hawker
6.Samson

Men:
1.Buttle
2.Sandhu
3.Sawyer
4.Chan
5.Chipeur
6.Mabee

Pairs:
1.Marcoux/Buntin
2.Dube/Davison
3.Wakamatsu/Fecteau
4.Putnam/Wirtz
5.Langlois/Hay

Dance:
1.Dubreuil/Lauzon
2.Virtue/Moir
3.Lefevbre/Markov
4.Senft/Gislason
5.Weaver/Poje

Julie79

Rinkside
I think Putnam/Wirtz have a shot to make the world team this year. They had strong international results. Dube/Davison haven't competed, and I don't think the other teams, besides Marcoux and Buntin, are consistent enough to beat them.

dale

Spectator
Dance

Dubriel & Lauzon
Virtue & Moir
Lefebvre & Markov
Senft & Gislason
Hann-McCurdy & Coreno

dance4u

Rinkside
Predictions
Joannie
Mira
Amanda

I saw Amanda skate a few weeks ago and her programs are amazing. Her triple lutz is beautiful . Amanda works hard, just needs more confidence.
As for men:
Will the real Emanual Sandhu stand up?
Jeffrey Buttle just needs some miles on his program, go Jeff.
Will skate Canada just put them up there because they were the best last year?
3rd place could be anyone. Vaughn, Shawn, Chris
Shawn how is he skating?

lutzskate

On the Ice
I watched Amanda skate at an Octoberfest competition in Barrie a number of years ago. All those around me (including myself) were astounded by her natural grace. She just floated across the ice. I spoke to her afterward, and I told her that she would be Canadian Champion some day.

I'm happy to hear that she is skating well, and I wish her luck at nationals.

Predictions
Joannie
Mira
Amanda

I saw Amanda skate a few weeks ago and her programs are amazing. Her triple lutz is beautiful . Amanda works hard, just needs more confidence.
As for men:
Will the real Emanual Sandhu stand up?
Jeffrey Buttle just needs some miles on his program, go Jeff.
Will skate Canada just put them up there because they were the best last year?
3rd place could be anyone. Vaughn, Shawn, Chris
Shawn how is he skating?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Jeffrey, Jeffrey, Jeffrey :laugh:

In Ladies, Either Joannie Rochette or Cynthia Phaneuf is fine by me as long as both of them get to go to worlds

In Pairs, My choice would be Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin although I would love to see Anabelle Langlois and Cody Hay win the title

In Dance, It's obvious that Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon will win this title. I pick Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for 2nd and Chantal Lefebrve and Arseny Markov for 3rd.

I believe Canada gets 3 spots for Dance this year.

Julie79

Rinkside
SailorGalaxia518 said, "In Pairs, My choice would be Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin although I would love to see Anabelle Langlois and Cody Hay win the title"

I don't think that Langlois and Hay are consistent enough. I've never thought that Annabelle handles pressure well, even though she is a terrific skater.

Last edited:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said, "In Pairs, My choice would be Valerie Marcoux and Craig Buntin although I would love to see Anabelle Langlois and Cody Hay win the title"

I don't think that Langlois and Hay are consistent enough. I've never thought that Annabelle handles pressure well, even though she is a terrific skater.

I know :laugh: but it is nice to dream

Jasper

Final Flight
Is Jeff back? I'm nervous for him. I can't wait to see his programs. Good luck, Jeffrey.