Evan Lysacek Injured at Grand Prix Final | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek Injured at Grand Prix Final

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Noooooooo! This is horrible news. Here's hoping that Evan has a speedy and full recovery in time for Nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not good at all... you can tell Evan is worried and disappoiinted, and with good reason

here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Evan!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is unfortunate the GP final is missing 2 of the top contenders with Lambiel and Lysacek both out. Hopefuly his injury is not too serious and he is ready for U.S Nationals. Even if he is not he will be given a bye to Worlds I bet.

Skye

On the Ice
It is unfortunate the GP final is missing 2 of the top contenders with Lambiel and Lysacek both out. Hopefuly his injury is not too serious and he is ready for U.S Nationals. Even if he is not he will be given a bye to Worlds I bet.

Can anyone find rules for selection of the World team? I remember Nicole Bobek did not get a bye to Worlds back in 1996 when she missed the Nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it depends on the situation... Michelle got a bye to the olympics, but she had to prove that she was 'worthy' of the spot.

Nicole was injured during nationals the year she got a bye, but had proven herself through out the season that she was capable of competing against teh other teams...

I think Evan could very well get a bye if he needed it based on his standings at the last two worlds, plus his season up to this point... at this point I think he's the stronger bet for a world medal than Johnny...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
it depends on the situation... Michelle got a bye to the olympics, but she had to prove that she was 'worthy' of the spot.

Nicole was injured during nationals the year she got a bye, but had proven herself through out the season that she was capable of competing against teh other teams...

I think Evan could very well get a bye if he needed it based on his standings at the last two worlds, plus his season up to this point... at this point I think he's the stronger bet for a world medal than Johnny...

Also dont the U.S have 3 spots to Worlds? So of course he would get a bye, as if they are going to send Scott Smith AND Ryan Bradley over him for example. Even if there were 2 spots he would still get the bye IMO.

Neither Evan or Johnny are a good bet for a world medal though. Joubert, the 2 Japanese, and Lambiel are all over both of them. I would say Evan is the strongest chance, not a good bet.

Neither Evan or Johnny are a good bet for a world medal though. Joubert, the 2 Japanese, and Lambiel are all over both of them. I would say Evan is the strongest chance, not a good bet.
Check out US Nats coming up and take a look at Steven Carriere. That's what the US qualifiers are all about.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
playing with words is all well and good but you basically said the same thing I did, slutskaya fan... bet/chance... either one works :rolleyes:

Saundy

On the Ice
Man...this sucks. I was starting to get into his skating since the Olys. :frown:

I will say a little prayer for him and hope he's better for the US Nationals.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I'm sure he'll be fine by Nat's but, if he's not he'll def. get a bye for world's. He might have to have a test skate though but, I doubt it. He'd be an idiot not to compete at Nat's as much as I bet the USFSA wants him to win LOL. He could probably hobble in there on crutches and win.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I hope Evan's injury is not serious, and he will recover in time.

I actually think if Evan cannot go to Nationals, it will put more pressure on Johnny to win. He has to win. Could Johnny bear this kind of pressure?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I'm sure he'll be fine by Nat's but, if he's not he'll def. get a bye for world's. He might have to have a test skate though but, I doubt it. He'd be an idiot not to compete at Nat's as much as I bet the USFSA wants him to win LOL. He could probably hobble in there on crutches and win.

Are you saying you think the USFSA favors Lysacek over Weir at this point? I had that feeling myself for a little less then a year but I get razzed on whenever I suggest it. Whether he does or not though his long program consistency and substance will be hard for Weir to compete with if he is healthy for Nationals.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
That's very unfortunate for Evan to get hurt right now! Hip injuries can be sooooo painful. I fell really akwardly on a backspin, of all things, and hurt my hip so badly, I think it was about seven months before I was able to skate without constant pain. And that was all from a backspin ( no, I'm really not THAT klutzy! My coach and I later realized that not only were my blades improperly mounted, they were poorly sharpened, too!). I can't imagine the pain from falling out of triple or quadruple jumps. I hope he is able to recover quickly and get back on the ice soon.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
Are you saying you think the USFSA favors Lysacek over Weir at this point? I had that feeling myself for a little less then a year but I get razzed on whenever I suggest it. Whether he does or not though his long program consistency and substance will be hard for Weir to compete with if he is healthy for Nationals.

I absolutely think that. Johnny would have to be PERFECT and I mean perfect to beat Evan at Nat's. ppl can razz on me all they want, lol, JMHO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree that Johnny would have to prove in a big way, by skating near perfectly, that he's the US's #1 skater, considering Evan's better showings internationally last season and this... but I thought the same thing last year and I was wrong so... *shrugs*

The problem with both injuries is not the loss of the GPF, but how serious are the injuries. There is required practice time before a big event. Will these injuries keep them from too much time off practice before Nats?

Three spots for the World Team. There is already one spot which the US men's field will be battling for. If one of the two top skaters falters because of a lack of practice, he will need a bye. I don't think they will want to risk that.

I'm interested in whether Carriere can make a stunning debut and get that third spot. His tech is excellent. His presentation has improved but it still lacks anything one can say wow to. I also like Tommy Steenberg to fill another spot if one of the two can not qualify for injuries.

As much as I like Scott and Bradley, I do not see them as very competitive.

Joe