Comparing YuNa's and Evgeni's Jumps | Golden Skate

Comparing YuNa's and Evgeni's Jumps

Hope this gets us back to figure skating. Just tired of politics and costumes.

If you watched Yu Na's jumps, particularly the first one on Youtube, you can't help but notice the air distance she covers from take off to landing. It's remarkable.

Plushenko who is a power jumper of the first class does excellent jumps but they do not cover much air distance. The effect I see is high up and right down.

I prefer to watch YuNa's jumping skills moreso that Evgeni's, but it's just my taste.

Which do you prefer.

Joe

Last edited:

chappy

Spectator
ditto.
Actually I didn't noticed that difference before. ;-)
Anyway... I think Yuna's jumps are more beautiful and fantastic, although Evgeni's are amazing and animating.
Yuna's 3 flip - 3 toe Combination is really clear and...
when she jumps, i think that she may stop in the air... (or, jump up up and fly far away ;-)

Also, Yuna is shorter than Evgeni... so Yuna's Jump may looks more amazing.
(just my opinion♬ )

Chappy - I was a broad jump high school athlete, and distance was the goal. YuNa jumps for distance as well as height and rotation. But the CoP is only interested in rotation and landings so skaters with the tiniest jumps will get the same credit as those with more athletic ability. Oh well.....

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
But the CoP is only interested in rotation and landings so skaters with the tiniest jumps will get the same credit as those with more athletic ability. Oh well.....

Not true at all. A tiny jump is going to get a GOE of +0, while bigger jumps will get extra points.

~Z

chappy

Spectator
thanx Mathman. ;-)
actually I've visited and just read these bulletin boards for a long time.

chappy

Spectator
I agree with Zuranthium's opinion.
And, generally... skaters who can jump big get better score.
those skaters also!! have good position and landing.

Anyway... Bigger and Clearer Jump is more visible... isn't it? ^^
(So I like YuNa's Jump... Mao Asada' s Jump is cool, too. But I think YuNa's is clearer and higher...)

Not true at all. A tiny jump is going to get a GOE of +0, while bigger jumps will get extra points.

~Z
And did that count in 6.0 system for Tara Lipinski? She holds the record for the tiniest jumps in figure skating. I know, I kn ow. There were other factors like giggling throughout the skate.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
And did that count in 6.0 system for Tara Lipinski? She holds the record for the tiniest jumps in figure skating. I know, I kn ow. There were other factors like giggling throughout the skate.

Joe

COP wasn't used when Tara was competing so we will never know how her jumps wouldhave been scored under COP. My guessing is despite the tiny jumps the 3lp/3lp would have given her PCS a good boost to make up for a bunch of 0s on GOE for her jumps.

Ant

Is there something about jumps and the GoEs that specifically says height of a jump should be considered in scoring? I don't remember that but it's been some time since I read all those CoP-GoE regulations.

I would think it does mention the height of a jump which of course favors skaters with natural spring in their legs. Not unlike flexibility which favors those whose bodies are naturally limber.

I do not believe, there is any GoE particularly for a jump which coveres distance from the take-off because going for height takes away from distance. I remember in broad jumping the coaches would say jump as close to the ground as possible. Too much height will curtail the distance.

A huge height on a jump a la Plushenko is sooo impressive but then again, for me, so is YuNa's distance jump.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is there something about jumps and the GoEs that specifically says height of a jump should be considered in scoring? I don't remember that but it's been some time since I read all those CoP-GoE regulations.

I would think it does mention the height of a jump which of course favors skaters with natural spring in their legs. Not unlike flexibility which favors those whose bodies are naturally limber.

I do not believe, there is any GoE particularly for a jump which coveres distance from the take-off because going for height takes away from distance. I remember in broad jumping the coaches would say jump as close to the ground as possible. Too much height will curtail the distance.

A huge height on a jump a la Plushenko is sooo impressive but then again, for me, so is YuNa's distance jump.

Joe

I fairly sure that the "flight" part of the jump is said to be worth a +1 if it is good height on the jump. I don't thinm length of the jump has ever been used as an example of "good" jumping. I remember that under 6.0 there used to be a rule stating that the ideal for combination jumps was that both jumps be of equal size. (and i remember that Czako's 3T/3T was a favoured clip to demonstrate this.) Not sure whether COP makes mention of this at all.

I think a balance is required - Irina has very high jumps but tends to land dead on the toe pick with little flow. My guess would be if you get good lendth on the jump that would transfer well to the momentum, required on the landing to have nice flow out too.

Ant