Who do you consider the most overscored women singles skater in recent history? | Golden Skate

Who do you consider the most overscored women singles skater in recent history?

Most overscored women singles skater in recent memory?

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Who do you consider the most overscored women singles skater in recent history?

Who is the most overscored women singles skater in recent history?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I voted "other." Do I dare say who my choice would be or will I get attacked for my own personal opinion?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ELENA SOKOLOVA.

If she wasn't so darn cute (and in her earlier years, just downright "precious"), she'd never have been higher in anything than about 8th.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
So you can dish it out but you can't take it? :biggrin:
Go ahead, I won't bite. (Since you voted "other" and not Sasha.)

Obviously I can take it, as I started a whole thread about how I can't stand the Zhang kid. So I'll say it here, too. She is the most overscored lady (er... child? toddler?) in recent history. 20+ points ahead of all the rest? She's consistant and flexible but she's not THAT great.

FWIW, Sasha would be my second pick.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Why isn't Michelle Kwan on the list?

I second that question. ? I would not have voted for her on this though. But I thought her "05 Cheese" Belero was not a 6.0. But that is just "undereducated SeaniBu" thinking again.

More so on the list - the thought of Debbi... Maybe, I was not that in "clue" during her time. I do believe though, her only perfect score came in the Pros which seemed surprising to most so ...????

The Cupcake (Elena S) comment I can see but her performances that I have seen with some knowledge, I agree, she is still darn cute but has not - to ME and my witnessing anyway - she seems to be out "ranked" when it has come to performance time. JMO

I thought Sokolova skated great at 2003 worlds and fully deserved her silver medal. She might even have beat Michelle, if it weren't for the audience love-fest factor.

The rest of the time, I thought that when she was good she placed well, when she was bad she didn't. So I wouldn't say she was overmarked.

Dancingdiva, don't you think it's a little premature to rank Caroline Zhang number one so soon. She has not had a chance yet to be overscored in a single senior competition.

Give her time. She has her whole career ahead of her to work her way up the overscored list. :)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Dancingdiva, don't you think it's a little premature to rank Caroline Zhang number one so soon. She has not had a chance yet to be overscored in a single senior competition.

Give her time. She has her whole career ahead of her to work her way up the overscored list. :)

Hey, if people can so prematurely proclaim her as the next great savior of US figure skating and the 2010/2014 Olympic Gold Medalist, then surely I can go ahead and prematurely give her this award, right? My answer sticks, and I predict that she will continue to be overscored for years to come.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I voted for Kimmie. I can see her technical aspects of her skating but her in between stuff and PCS are terrible. I haven't warmed up to her yet. I hope that she gets herself together because maybe it is just her age. I think the judges put her up there. However, saying this I have to admit that time and time again most skaters have their day where the judges give them too many points. But that is the name of the game. It happens in all levels of skating so we just have to live with it.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I think my boyfriend is crazy for making the extremely underrated Sasha Cohen even a poll choice and wonder how on earth 8 people could vote for her as well. ;) Oh well personal preference I guess.

I voted for Debi Thomas. The judges took an at best second tier skater who should have been fighting for 3rd-4th in the U.S and 6th-9th in World events and made her Witt's biggest rival, although the rivalry was a laugher since Witt had to bomb out for Thomas to have beaten her. Why the U.S decided to push a skater who only was doing the same jumps, spins, and steps Witt could do, and yet artisticaly was about half as strong as Witt, instead of skaters like Kadavy and Trenary and Chin who could do harder jumps then either Witt and Thomas, and could compete with Witt artisticaly much more then Thomas could is beyond me. Had they promoted Kadavy and Trenary instead of the enormously overrated Thomas they may have had more success challenging Witt in global events, yet they chose to push a clearly inferior and overrated skater as it was so of course Witt would dominate if that was the skater they chose to put their fullest support behind. Thomas should sent Witt a thank you present for making a major error in the short program at 86 Worlds since that is the only reason she was able to win gold over Witt for her 1 World title, along with the usualy inflated scores she receives. Normally I dont feel it is fair to point out a skaters mistakes in causing ones success but since this is Witt who almost never makes a mistake, and never does in the short program it makes it a unique situation obviously.

I have other things that have come to mind what caused the judges to push so hard for Thomas to reach the top but I will keep those to myself as I suspect they would be misconstrued.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think my boyfriend is crazy for making the extremely underrated Sasha Cohen even a poll choice and wonder how on earth 8 people could vote for her as well. ;) Oh well personal preference I guess.

I voted for Debi Thomas. The judges took an at best second tier skater who should have been fighting for 3rd-4th in the U.S and 6th-9th in World events and made her Witt's biggest rival, although the rivalry was a laugher since Witt had to bomb out for Thomas to have beaten her. Why the U.S decided to push a skater who only was doing the same jumps, spins, and steps Witt could do, and yet artisticaly was about half as strong as Witt, instead of skaters like Kadavy and Trenary and Chin who could do harder jumps then either Witt and Thomas, and could compete with Witt artisticaly much more then Thomas could is beyond me. Had they promoted Kadavy and Trenary instead of the enormously overrated Thomas they may have had more success challenging Witt in global events, yet they chose to push a clearly inferior and overrated skater as it was so of course Witt would dominate if that was the skater they chose to put their fullest support behind. Thomas should sent Witt a thank you present for making a major error in the short program at 86 Worlds since that is the only reason she was able to win gold over Witt for her 1 World title, along with the usualy inflated scores she receives. Normally I dont feel it is fair to point out a skaters mistakes in causing ones success but since this is Witt who almost never makes a mistake, and never does in the short program it makes it a unique situation obviously.

I have other things that have come to mind what caused the judges to push so hard for Thomas to reach the top but I will keep those to myself as I suspect they would be misconstrued.

I thought at the time she was skating she was a little over-rated, but in hindsight now I can understand why she was "the chosen one". She had a very dynamic persona on-ice, and judges really go for that; Chin (who had major injury problems), Cadavy, and Trenary were lovely to watch, but they, IMHO, didn't have the same gusto that Debi had. (And this is coming from one of Karyn Cadavy's biggest fans) And I think Trenary may have been promoted more had she done better at her Worlds debut. But I understand your point; at the time there were ladies who had just as much going on as Debi did in their skating and were not placed as high.